University Hospital Giessen UKGM
Department of Dermatology and Allergology (113975)
Specialized in: dermatology, allergology
About the department
The Department of Dermatology and Allergology at the University Hospital Giessen UKGM offers the full range of services for the diagnostics and treatment of skin diseases and skin manifestations of allergic reactions. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Thilo Jakob.
The doctors use modern examination and therapeutic measures to effectively treat these disorders. The focus is on the treatment of skin tumors (dermato-oncology), chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases and skin infections (including mycology), the treatment of allergies and occupational skin diseases, dermatologic surgery, dermatohistopathology, psychodermatology and therapy of venous disease (phlebology). Many pathologies are treated on an outpatient basis. The hospitalization is needed for the treatment of patients with severe skin diseases and if an extensive surgical intervention is required.
When selecting the treatment tactics, great importance is given to interdisciplinary cooperation with other departments of the university hospital, as well as close cooperation with partner hospitals from the region. The primary purpose of the department is to provide patients with modern medical services. At the same time the person with his individual needs and worries is at the center of all efforts.
One of the key focuses of clinical practice is the treatment of malignant skin tumors (certification of the German Cancer Society). The most common pathologies in this field include basal-cell carcinoma and squamous-cell skin cancer. One of the causes of skin cancer is the intense exposure of ultraviolet radiation, which can damage the genetic apparatus of skin cells. As a result, background precancerous conditions, so-called actinic keratoses, may develop. For the treatment of initial stages of skin cancer, there can be used such methods as imiquimod, hyaluronic acid, 5-fluorouracil, as well as photodynamic therapy, etc.
In addition, the department's dermatologists specialize in the treatment of aggressive skin tumors, such as melanoma, Merkel cell carcinoma, Kaposi's sarcoma and dermatofibroma. The first stage of treatment is the comprehensive diagnostics. Then, according to the results of the examination, the optimal therapy will be selected. The surgical resection of the tumor is mostly required. The radiation therapy can be used for the treatment of inoperable tumors or in patients with poor general health. It is very important to undergo regular follow-up examinations because of frequent occurrence of relapses and secondary tumors. The intervals between examinations depend on the specific situation, but should not exceed one year.
In the field of allergology, the focus is on the treatment of allergies to bee and wasp venom. In addition to detailed medical history taking, the doctors examine the specific IgE-antibodies in the blood and perform skin tests. The treatment of these types of allergies is carried out using specific immunotherapy (hyposensitization) as part of a two-day hospital stay. The department annually performs about 100 hyposensitization courses.
In addition, the department's allergists have excellent qualifications in the diagnostics and treatment of drug allergies, allergic contact dermatitis, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis and atopic dermatitis. For the patients with chronic spontaneous urticaria, the doctors carry out examinations for the detection of triggers and symptomatic therapy using Omalizumab. The department's unique offer is also the treatment of focal alopecia using local Diphencypron immunomodulator.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant skin neoplasms
- Resection of skin neoplasms
- Reconstructive surgery to repair skin defects, including flap surgery
- Resection of sentinel lymph nodes
- Surgical treatment of acne at all stages
- Surgical debridement of wounds
- Surgical removal of large congenital birthmarks (nevi)
- Surgical treatment of rhinophyma
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic reactions
- Allergies to bee and wasp venom
- Drug allergies
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Hay fever (allergic rhinoconjunctivitis)
- Atopic dermatitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of occupational skin diseases (for example, eczema, ultraviolet allergy)
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune skin diseases
- Collagenoses (systemic scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis, mixed connective tissue diseases)
- Autoimmune bullous skin diseases (bullous pemphigoid, pemphigus vulgaris, mucous membrane pemphigoid, linear IgA dermatosis, epidermolysis bullosa acquisita)
- Psychosomatic dermatology
- Diagnostics and treatment of psoriasis
- Dermatological examinations
- Treatment within clinical trials
- Other medical services
Photo of the doctor: (c) UKGM - Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg GmbH
Department of Dermatology and Allergology.
University Hospital Giessen UKGM:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.