University Hospital Giessen UKGM
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (590800)
Specialized in: pediatric hematology and oncology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology at the University Hospital Giessen UKGM offers the full range of modern diagnostics and effective treatment for children and adolescents with malignant diseases of the blood and lymphatic system (leukemia and lymphoma), brain tumors and solid tumors, as well as benign impairments of haemopoiesis. The department has a large arsenal of therapeutic techniques for cancer treatment. This includes chemotherapy, radiation therapy, stem cell transplantation and psychosocial care. The young patients are treated in accordance with standardized protocols of the Society of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology, which guarantees the most favorable treatment outcome. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dieter Körholz.
Since October 2015, the department has been carrying out proton therapy for the treatment of oncological diseases in children. The department is one of the few medical facilities where this innovative type of therapy is available. Proton therapy significantly exceeds the conventional radiation therapy in terms of controlling exposure, dose distribution and side effects. Thus, it is an excellent alternative type of cancer treatment.
In addition, the department's service range is complemented by stem cell transplantation, which in some clinical cases is the only effective treatment option. The procedure is carried out by a specially trained team of highly qualified experts. The material sampling for autologous stem cell transplantation is carried out in close collaboration with the Center for Transfusion Medicine and Hemotherapy, where the cells are processed and cryopreserved. The high-dose chemotherapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation is indicated for children with certain types of solid tumors and lymphoma relapses. Allogeneic stem cell transplantation from family members or an unrelated donor is indicated for children with high-risk leukemia, relapse of leukemia and lymphoma and bone marrow failure. The department's team of transplantologists assumes the responsibility of finding a donor, preparing the patient for the transplantation, the transplantation itself and follow-up care. The transplantation is performed according to the requirements of professional societies, which ensures the best possible safety and efficiency of the procedure.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of leukemia
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia
- Acute myeloid leukemia
- Chronic myeloid leukemia
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of lymphomas
- Hodgkin's disease
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of embryonic tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of sarcomas
- Diagnostics and treatment of tumors of the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord)
- Plexus tumors
- Rhabdoid tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of solid tumors
- Wilms' tumor (nephroblastoma)
- Ewing's sarcoma
- Soft tissue tumors
- Liver tumors
- Germ cell tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare tumors
- Pancreatic tumors
- Laryngeal tumors
- Salivary gland tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of immunodeficiencies
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare types of anemia
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired blood-clotting disorder
- Von Willebrand disease
- Rare coagulation disorders (for example, factor VII, XI, or XIII deficiency, platelet dysfunction)
- Main therapeutic methods
- Proton therapy for children
- Stem cell transplantation
- Radiation therapy
- Palliative care
- Other medical services
- 1984 Admission to medical practice.
- 1992 Board certification in Pediatrics.
- 1994 Position of Senior Physician.
- 1998 Deputy Head of the Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology.
- 1999 C3 Professor in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University of Leipzig.
- 2006 W3 Professor and Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Halle-Wittenberg.
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology.
University Hospital Giessen UKGM:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home