University Hospital Giessen UKGM
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology, Andrology (71)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric urology, andrology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology, Andrology at University Hospital Giessen UKGM
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology, Andrology at the University Hospital Giessen UKGM offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with pathologies of the genitourinary system, including andrological disorders. The department has 47 beds for inpatient treatment. The department annually serves more than 2,300 inpatients and about 1,300 outpatients. The medical team of the department consists of highly qualified employees who have a perfect command of classical and innovative therapeutic methods, thanks to which they achieve high rates of treatment success. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Florian Wagenlehner.
In the treatment of oncological diseases of the urological spectrum, the department uses organ-preserving, minimally invasive, laparoscopic and radical surgical techniques. All therapeutic measures correspond to the very latest relevant achievements of oncological therapy and are prescribed to patients within the framework of interdisciplinary tumor boards.
Key attention is paid to endoscopic treatments. Laser therapy is mainly used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia, bladder ulcers. In bladder cancer, the standard treatment option is fluorescent surgical resection of the tumor. In addition, endoscopic laser therapy is successfully used in kidney stone disease treatment. The department has at its disposal a modern system for extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy. This technique involves non-invasive fragmentation of stones in the kidneys and ureters using concentrated ultrasound waves, while the remaining stones are excreted naturally in the urine. Ureterorenoscopy, laser lithotripsy and percutaneous nephrolitholapaxia can also be used for treatment.
The department offers all diagnostic tests to identify the causes of infertility in men. It successfully performs surgical interventions to treat infertility. The standard procedures for extracting sperm from the testis or epididymis include microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration (MESA), testicular sperm extraction (TESE), a combination of these methods, and microscopic testicular extraction of spermatozoa.
An important area of specialization of the department is pediatric urology. In case of congenital malformations of the genitourinary tract, the doctors perform reconstructive operations to eliminate functional disorders. The department performs organ-preserving, as well as radical surgical treatment of all benign and malignant tumors of the genitourinary system in children. The pediatric urologists also specialize in conducting endoscopic procedures, fragmentation of stones using extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy and laparoscopic interventions.
The department’s range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of urologic cancers
- Prostate cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Penile cancer
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Testicular search in case of undescended testis in adults and children
- Radical resection of the lymph nodes in stage I of nonseminomatous testicular tumors or after chemotherapy in case of residual retroperitoneal tumors
- Removal of lymph nodes in the pelvic area
- Kidney removal due to malignancies
- Partial kidney resection in small tumors
- Fenestration or removal of kidney cysts
- Fenestration for lymphocele
- Plastic reconstructive interventions for renal pelvis stenosis
- Radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer
- Kidney removal in contracted kidney
- Endoscopic procedures
- Treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Treatment of kidney stone disease
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
- Laser lithotripsy
- Percutaneous nephrolitholapaxia
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostatitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary incontinence in men and women
- Blood test
- Ultrasound scanning
- Bladder pressure measurement
- X-ray examination of the bladder and intestines
- Dynamic magnetic resonance imaging
- Measurement of pelvic floor muscle activity
- Urodynamic studies
- Exercise to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles
- Drug therapy
- Sacral neurostimulation
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Vaginal interventions
- Endoscopic surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Open operations
- Diagnostics and treatment of urologic diseases in children
- Recurrent urinary tract infections in boys
- Undescended testicle
- Renal pelvis stenosis
- Vesicoureteral reflux
- Wilms' tumor
- Urgent clinical cases
- Diagnostics and treatment of andrologic problems
- Diagnostics and treatment of penile fibromatosis
- Fertility restoration
- Surgical sperm extraction
- Microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration (MESA)
- Testicular sperm extraction (TESE)
- Combination of MESA and TESE
- Microscopic testicular sperm extraction
- Prosthetics of the penile cavernous body
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Florian Wagenlehner
- 1987 - 1992 Study of Human Medicine at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 01.12.1995 Admission to medical practice, Munich, Ministry of the Federal State of Bavaria.
- 30.08.2001 Board certification in the Urology, Munich, Bavarian Medical Association.
- 08.08.2008 Advanced training (optional) in Tumor Drug Therapy.
- 01.10.2008 Advanced training in Special Urologic Surgery.
- 06.1994 - 11.1995 Intern, Department of Urology, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Straubing.
- 12.1995 - 08.1996 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Straubing.
- 09.1996 - 08.1997 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery I, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Straubing.
- 09.1997 - 02.1998 Assistant Physician in the Intensive Care Unit at the Department of Surgery, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Straubing.
- 03.1998 - 08.1998 Assistant, Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Aberdeen, Scotland.
- 09.1998 - 11.1998 Assistant, Institute of Microbiology and Hygiene, University of Regensburg.
- 12.1998 - 05.1999 Assistant Physician in the Intensive Care Unit at the Department of Surgery, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Straubing.
- 06.1999 - 08.1999 Assistant, Institute of Microbiology and Hygiene, University of Regensburg.
- 09.1999 - 08.2001 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Straubing.
- 09.2001 - 10.2006 Senior Physician, Department of Urology, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Straubing.
- 11.2006 - 12.2009 Senior Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology, Andrology at the University Hospital Giessen UKGM.
- Since 01.2010 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology, Andrology at the University Hospital Giessen UKGM.
- 02.21.1996 Doctoral thesis defense at the Technical University of Munich.
- 17.05.2006 Habilitation at the Technical University of Munich.
- 31.07.2006 Venia legendi in Urology at the Technical University of Munich.
- 15.12.2008 Habilitation, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 15.06.2010 Extraordinary Professorship, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
Photo of the doctor: (c) UKGM - Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg GmbH
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology, Andrology.
University Hospital Giessen UKGM:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.