University Hospital Giessen UKGM
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Vascular Surgery (72)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric cardiac surgery, vascular surgery
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Giessen UKGM ranks among the top German medical facilities in its areas of specialization!
The department offers the full range of surgical interventions for the treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular system in patients of all age groups. The department specializes in coronary artery surgery, heart valve diseases, heart arrhythmias, vascular surgery and aortic surgery. The therapeutic options are complemented by heart transplantation. The experienced cardiac surgeons of the departments perform more than 2,000 operations annually. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Boening.
One of the department’s primary focuses is the treatment of heart valve diseases. The treatment involves the reconstruction or total replacement of the heart valve (depending on the stage of the pathology). Many interventions for the treatment of heart valve diseases are performed using catheter techniques (this offers particular benefits for high-risk patients). The heart valve prosthetic surgery guarantees a long-term result and almost eliminates the need for repeated interventions. The heart valves are replaced with biological and mechanical prostheses. The decision on the type of prosthesis is made by the doctor based on the results of the examinations and the specific clinical situation. The biological prostheses are mostly used in elderly patients over the age of 60 years, whereas the mechanical ones are used in young patients.
The specialists of the department also have vast experience in the field of pediatric cardiac surgery. They have recently performed about 250 operations with the use of a heart-lung machine and about 400 operations without it. The department’s surgeons have also performed more than 140 heart transplants for children and adolescents as part of a special Heart Transplant Program. The program also includes artificial heart implantation, ECMO therapy, as well as autologous stem cell transplantation for the treatment of cardiomyopathy. The department treats congenital heart defects in infants, young children, adolescents and adults.
The vascular surgeons of the department provide drug and surgical treatment of arterial and venous diseases, as well as their complications. The department performs open interventions to treat all forms of diseases of the venous and arterial vessels, including vascular malformations. In addition, the scope of surgeons’ tasks includes minimally invasive surgery for arterial diseases (endovascular therapy), open interventions in combination with catheter techniques (hybrid surgery). The department is particularly competent in the field of aortic surgery and treatment of diabetic foot syndrome.
The service range of the department includes:
- Cardiac surgery
- Surgical treatment of coronary heart disease
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (with and without the use of a heart-lung machine)
- Surgical treatment of heart valve diseases
- Aortic valve stenosis, aortic valve insufficiency
- Mitral valve stenosis, mitral valve insufficiency
- Tricuspid valve insufficiency
- Pulmonary valve insufficiency
- Infectious endocarditis
- Reconstructive interventions
- Prosthetics of the affected heart valves
- Surgical treatment of heart rhythm disturbances
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator Implantation
- Ablation (radiofrequency and cryoablation) for the treatment of atrial fibrillation
- Surgical treatment of heart failure
- Left ventricular assist device
- Heart transplant
- Surgical treatment of aortic diseases (for example, aneurysms)
- Open surgery
- Endovascular surgery
- Mechanical support for heart and lung function
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
- Surgical treatment of congenital heart defects in infants, young children, adolescents and adults, including heart transplantation, artificial heart installation, ECMO therapy, as well as autologous stem cell transplantation for the treatment of cardiomyopathy
- Surgical treatment of coronary heart disease
- Vascular surgery
- Carotid stenosis
- Circulatory disorders (in the extremities, abdominal organs)
- Aortic stenosis
- Mesenteric artery stenosis
- Vascular complications of diabetes mellitus
- Varicose veins (including endovascular and laser treatment)
- Vascular malformations
- Amputation surgery
- Intensive care for the patients who have experienced heart surgery, vascular interventions
- Basic and extended hemodynamic monitoring
- Invasive and non-invasive ventilation, tracheostomy
- Drug support for blood circulation
- Treatment of arrhythmias using medications and electric cardioversion
- Echocardiography (transthoracic, transesophageal)
- Mechanical circulation support using ECMO or other mechanical methods (intra-aortic balloon pump, micro-axial pumps)
- Drainage (pleura, pericardium, peritoneum)
- Liver dialysis
- Active and passive mobilization
- Other medical services
Photo of the doctor: (c) UKGM - Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg GmbH
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Vascular Surgery.
University Hospital Giessen UKGM:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.