University Hospital Marburg UKGM
Department of Neurosurgery (78)
Specialized in: neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Marburg UKGM under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Christopher Nimsky offers the full range of neurosurgical procedures. There are annually performed over 200 operations. The department is focused on the treatment of brain/pituitary tumors, spinal neurosurgery and pediatric neurosurgery.
The department pays particular attention to the treatment of brain tumors. The most common brain tumors include meningiomas, glioblastomas and metastases of lung and breast cancer. The treatment involves the use of the state-of-the-art medical technology, namely intraoperative neuronavigation and cranial nerve monitoring: integration of pre-operative MRI images for the imaging of functionally important mains (DTI=diffusion tensor imaging) and eloquent brain areas (fMRI=functional magnetic resonance imaging). The treatment is interdisciplinary and all clinical pictures of the patients are discussed at tumor boards.
The Department of Neurosurgery is also focused on the surgical treatment of spinal diseases. The specialists of the department annually perform about 600 surgeries. They also offer all common surgical techniques ranging from endoscopy up to complex reconstructive surgery. At the same time, great emphasis is placed on an individual approach, whenever possible, a minimally invasive and function-preserving one. The diseases are treated by means of a ventral (from the front through the neck, thoracic or abdominal cavity) or dorsal access (from the behind through the neck or back).
The department offers all common surgical techniques for spine treatment. These include:
- Microsurgical or minimally invasive decompression surgery for spinal disc herniation or spinal stenosis (all sections)
- Microsurgical operations for tumors, vascular diseases and conditions of the spine, spinal cord membrane, spinal cord and spinal nerves with the use of multimodal electrophysiological monitoring
- Endoscopic surgery for lumbar herniated disc
- Minimally invasive percutaneous spine instrumentation for instabilities in the thoracic and lumbar spine
- Ventral and dorsal surgery for stabilization and fusion in case of instabilities / for reconstruction of all regions of the spine
- Implantation of intervertebral disc prostheses in degenerative diseases
- Implantation of interspinous spacers in degenerative diseases
- Kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for osteoporotic or neoplastic fractures (in cooperation with the Department of Trauma, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery)
- X-ray and thermal ablation for both facet and sacroiliac joint lesions, periradicular therapy (in collaboration with the Department of Neuroradiology)
- Neuromodulation techniques (nerve stimulation, analgesics)
The focuses of the department include:
- Brain tumors
- Spinal neurosurgery
- Vascular neurosurgery
- Pituitary tumors
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Pain therapy
- Neurological intensive care
Department of Neurosurgery.
University Hospital Marburg UKGM:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home