University Hospital Marburg UKGM
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery (80)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric oral, maxillofacial surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Marburg UKGM offers the full range of first-class medical services in the area of its specialization. The therapeutic options cover both outpatient dentoalveolar surgery and implantology, as well as complex maxillofacial interventions on an outpatient basis. The department is part of the Trauma Center, the Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Center for Head and Neck Diseases, the Center for Skull Base Surgery, the Angioma Center and the Interdisciplinary Center for Sleep Medicine Hesse. Thus, the department can guarantee patients the comprehensive medical care of the university level. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. Dr. med. Andreas Neff.
The department focuses on the treatment of maxillofacial tumors. The primary goal of the doctors is to choose an individual treatment regimen aimed at achieving the optimal result in a particular clinical situation. Surgical treatment is often supplemented by radiation therapy and chemotherapy. At the same time, great importance is attached to preserving the chewing function and the aesthetic aspect.
The surgeons of the department also have extensive experience in the field of operations to correct the complete cleft lip, jaw and palate. The operations are aimed not only at eliminating aesthetic defects, but also at functional restoration, as well as ensuring the normal development of the facial skull in a child. In addition to maxillofacial surgeons, the treatment process involves pediatricians, otolaryngologists, pediatric audiologists, orthodontists and speech therapists. The coordinated work of competent doctors from related disciplines helps to achieve the best therapy result.
A separate focus of the department’s work is plastic aesthetic and reconstructive surgery. Plastic aesthetic surgeons help patients improve their appearance, for example, to change the shape of their nose, to conduct a facelift. Reconstructive surgeons perform operations to correct congenital or acquired defects in the maxillofacial region.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Correction of complete cleft lip, jaw and palate
- Correction of jaw deformities
- Treatment of maxillofacial tumors
- Treatment of fractures of the bones of the facial skull (i.e. the lower jaw and the entire middle part of the face)
- Plastic aesthetic and reconstructive surgery
- Treatment of temporomandibular joint diseases
- Dentoalveolar surgery
- Wisdom tooth extraction
- Root apex resection
- Cyst removal (cystectomy)
- Tooth injuries
- Dental implantation
- Bisphosphonate therapy
- Other therapeutic options
- 1983 Study of Dentistry at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and admission to medical practice.
- 1984 - 1985 Work as a Dentist in the Bundeswehr and work as an Assistant in the private dental practice.
- Since 1987 Training at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Dr.h.c. H.-H. Horsch).
- 1991 Board certification in Oral Surgery, parallel study of Human Medicine at the University of Regensburg, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and the Technical University of Munich.
- 1993 Internship.
- 1996 Board certification in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 2000 Specialization in Plastic Surgery.
- 2002 - 2007 Leading Senior Physician, Technical University of Munich (under the supervision of Prof. Horsch).
- 2002 Habilitation and Venia legendi.
- 2003 Alex Motsch Prize of the German Society for Functional Diagnostics and Therapy (DGFDT).
- 2004 Coordinator of the Guidelines Group for Temporomandibular Joint Surgery, German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 2006 Member of the European Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (FEBOMS).
- Since 2007 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Marburg UKGM.
- Since 2008 Professor W3, Philipps University of Marburg.
- 2008 Member of the Section for Temporomandibular Joint Diseases of the Strasbourg Osteosynthesis Research Group.
- 2009 Certification for Pain Therapy in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, foundation of the European Society of Temporomandibular Joint Surgeons (ESTMJS).
- 2009 Advisory Board of the Academy of the German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (responsible for the Southwest Region).
- 2010 Specialist in Functional Diagnostics and Therapy, German Society for Functional Diagnostics and Therapy (DGFDT).
- 2011 Joined the International Bone Research Association (IBRA), currently Chairman of the Board of Education of this association.
- 2013 Member of the European Society of TMJ Surgeons (ESTMJS).
- 2016 - 2017 Elected President of the European Society of TMJ Surgeons (ESTMJS).
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (DGMKG).
- German Society of Odontology (DGZMK).
- German Society for Functional Diagnostics and Therapy (DGFDT).
- European Society of TMJ Surgeons (ESTMJS).
- International Bone Research Association (IBRA).
- Strasbourg Osteosynthesis Research Group (SORG), Group for Temporomandibular Joint Diseases.
- Working and Research Group on Oral and Maxillofacial Oncology (DÖSAK).
- Functional temporomandibular joint surgery, including arthroscopic interventions.
- Endoscopic methods in maxillofacial surgery (sialoscopy, paranasal sinus surgery, traumatology).
- Biomechanics of the lower jaw, especially of the articular process.
- Orthognathic surgery.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery.
University Hospital Marburg UKGM:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home