University Hospital Marburg UKGM
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (86)
Rolf Felix Maier
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at University Hospital Marburg UKGM
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine offers all methods of modern diagnostics and treatment for young patients with various diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Rolf Felix Maier.
The structure of the department includes an emergency unit, a number of specialized outpatient clinics and a day hospital. The department’s priorities of clinical practice include neonatology, pediatric nephrology, including kidney transplantation in children, pediatric pulmonology and allergology. Thanks to the coordinated work of a motivated and highly competent medical team, state-of-the-art technical equipment and close cooperation with other doctors, the department provides comprehensive medical care of the highest quality.
As a Level I Perinatal Center, the department specializes in caring for premature babies and newborns with congenital pathologies. The specially trained doctors take care of the baby’s health. To this end, the department has advanced technical equipment.
In most cases, one of the parents of young children and school-age children can be accommodated in the child’s ward or in special apartments for parents. The department strives to provide patients and their families with the best possible medical treatment and care.
The service range of the department includes:
- Care for premature infants and babies with congenital pathologies (neonatology)
- Diagnostic and treatment of kidney diseases, including kidney transplantation in children, care before and after transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung and respiratory diseases (for example, bronchial asthma, obstructive bronchitis, congenital lung diseases and cystic fibrosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of allergic spectrum in children (for example, hay fever, atopic dermatitis, allergies to insect venom and drugs, food intolerance)
- Pediatric intensive care
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine diseases, including diabetes, in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nervous system in children (for example, epilepsy, developmental delay, metabolic disorders affecting the nervous system, congenital pathologies of the nervous system)
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep disorders in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of children and adolescents with congenital heart defects, cardiovascular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of hematological and oncological diseases in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of vascular malformations in children (lymphangiomas, hemangiomas)
- Diagnostics and treatment of Galen vein malformations
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital facial malformations (for example, cleft lip and palate, Pierre Robin sequence)
- Medical care in emergency clinical situations
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Rolf Felix Maier
Education and Professional Career
- 1975 - 1981 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Ulm.
- 1981 Admission to medical practice.
- 1982 Doctoral dissertation at the University of Ulm.
- 1981 - 1986 Assistant Physician at the Children's Hospital Aalen.
- 1986 - 1987 Assistant Physician, Olga Hospital in Stuttgart.
- 1987 Board certification in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- 1988 - 2002 Research Fellow (Assistant Physician, then Senior Physician, then Deputy Head of the department) in the Department of Neonatology at the University Hospital Virchow, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- 1991 Specialization in Neonatology.
- 1995 Habilitation, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- 2002 Invitation to the post of C4 Professor at the Phillips University of Marburg.
- 2002 - 2005 Head of the Department of Neonatology and Neuropediatrics, University Hospital Marburg UKGM.
- Since 2005 Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Marburg UKGM.
- Anemia in premature infants.
- Oxygen transport in premature infants.
- Neuroprotection in newborns.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Institutions
- Since 2003 Board Member of the German Society of Perinatal Medicine (DGPM).
- Since 2005 Board Member of the Society of Neonatology and Pediatric Intensive Care (GNPI).
- 2007 - 2009 President of the German Society of Perinatal Medicine (DGPM).
- 2009 - 2011 Board Member of the South German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
- 2013 - 2017 President of the Society of Neonatology and Pediatric Intensive Care (GNPI).
- 1995 Prize of the German Society of Perinatal Medicine.
- 2000 Theodor Brugsch Prize for Teaching, Charite, Berlin.
Photo of the doctor: (c) UKGM - Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg GmbH
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Marburg UKGM:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.