University Hospital Marburg UKGM
Department of Ophthalmology (90)
Specialized in: ophthalmology
The Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Marburg UKGM, headed by Univ-Prof. Dr. med. Walter Sekundo, has the very latest diagnostic and treatment methods for diseases of the eye, eye muscles, lacrimal passages and eyelids. Thanks to close cooperation with the Children's Hospital, Departments of Neurology, Neuroradiology, Neurosurgery, Otolaryngology and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, here one can receive a comprehensive and effective treatment of the full spectrum of ophthalmic diseases.
The department enjoys an excellent reputation in the treatment of glaucoma. The department has the most advanced diagnostic methods: in addition to visual acuity testing, the specialists regularly make a visual field test to check functioning of the optic nerve, (biomicroscopic) test of the optic nerve disk, as well as measurement of the intraocular pressure (using applanation or dynamic tonometry). It is also possible to measure the optic nerve disk with a three-dimensional laser (HRT).
Particular attention is paid to co-morbidities from various disciplines (e.g. internal medicine / neurology). If for any reason drug treatment is impossible or ineffective, the department regularly uses different advanced surgical procedures for glaucoma. Every year, the department performs about 500 surgeries to treat glaucoma (or glaucoma-related disorders), including highly complex glaucoma surgery (e.g. drainage implants, stents).
The diagnosis and treatment of tumors of the eye and eye appendages make up another focus of the department. A histologically guided tumor resection is performed in the department's own Pathology Laboratory.
The range of medical services of the department covers the diagnosis and treatment of the following diseases:
- Tumors of the eye and eye appendages
- Diseases of the eyelids, lacrimal apparatus and orbit
- Diseases of the conjunctiva
- Diseases of the sclera, cornea, iris and ciliary body
- Diseases of the lens
- Diseases of the choroid and retina
- Diseases of the vitreous body and eyeball
- Diseases of the optic nerve and the optic tract
- Diseases of the eye muscles, disorders of the eye movement, as well as accommodation disorders and refractive errors
- Visual impairments and blindness
- Ophthalmic rehabilitation
- Diagnosis and treatment of strabological and neuro-ophthalmological diseases
- Plastic surgery (the medical staff of the department specializes in plastic surgery of the eye: special interventions on the eyelid, correction of the lacrimal sac, removal of pigment defects, Botox treatment, etc.)
- Diagnosis and treatment of other diseases of the eye and eye appendages
- Laser eye surgery
- Diagnosis and treatment of uveitis
- Marburg, Germany