University Hospital Marburg UKGM
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology (94)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric urology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at University Hospital Marburg UKGM
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the University Hospital Marburg UKGM ranks among the best German medical facilities for prostate cancer treatment!
The department offers all diagnostic and therapeutic services in the field of its competence and specializes in the treatment of diseases of the genitourinary system in men of all age groups. The department has 46 beds for inpatient medical care. One of the key focuses is prostate cancer treatment (certification of the German Cancer Society as a Prostate Cancer Center). The doctors of the department are also highly professional in the treatment of diseases of the external genital organs in men, pathologies of the kidneys, adrenal glands, ureters, bladder and urethra in men and women. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Rainer Hofmann.
The department’s pediatric urologists are involved in the treatment of malformations and diseases of the kidneys, ureters, bladder and genitals in newborns and children. Of particular interest is medical care for small patients with impaired urine outflow, vesicoureteral reflux, testicular malformations, foreskin stenosis and urinary incontinence, including nocturnal enuresis. Most operations in children with pathologies of the genitourinary system can be performed on an outpatient basis.
The department widely uses sparing minimally invasive surgery, namely laparoscopy and endourology. Laparoscopic interventions are mostly used for kidney and adrenal tumor resection, whereas endourological procedures serve for both invasive diagnostics and treatment of urinary tract diseases with access through the urethra. Today, sparing surgical techniques are the gold standard. They provide minimal trauma to healthy tissues, speedy recovery after surgery and minimal risk of postoperative complications.
The department’s spectrum of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostate cancer (within the framework of a specialized center certified by the German Cancer Society)
- Diagnostics and treatment of bladder cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of testicular cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary incontinence (urogynecology)
- Stress urinary incontinence
- Urge urinary incontinence
- Overactive bladder
- Mixed urinary incontinence
- Neurogenic bladder dysfunction
- Chronic urinary incontinence
- Extraurethral urinary incontinence
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Conservative treatments
- Physical exercises to strengthen pelvic floor muscles
- Electrostimulation and biofeedback
- Installation of pessaries
- Drug therapy
- Surgical treatments
- Bladder sphincter injections
- Sling procedures
- Burch procedure
- Vaginal prolapse correction
- Artificial sphincter implantation
- Botulinum toxin A injections
- Conservative treatments
- Diagnostics and treatment of urolithiasis
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
- Percutaneous nephrolitholapaxia
- Minimally invasive treatment
- Laparoscopy (mostly kidney and adrenal tumor resection)
- Endourological procedures
- Laser therapy
- Treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia using a Greenlight laser and a holmium laser
- Laser lithotripsy for urolithiasis
- Laser removal of genital warts
- Flexible and rigid ureterorenoscopy
- Removal of urinary tract stones
- Diagnostics and treatment of tumors
- Transurethral resection
- Removal of bladder tumors
- Therapy of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Cystoscopy (for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes)
- Cystoscopic administration of drugs into the bladder wall (in case of urinary incontinence)
- Ureteral stent placement
- Fluorescence cystoscopy and resection of bladder malignancies
- Ureterorenoscopy and cystoscopy using video/HDTV monitoring
- Percutaneous nephrolitholapaxia for kidney stones
- Percutaneous nephrostomy (in case of urinary retention due to ureteral stenosis, ureteral stones, etc.)
- Laser therapy
- Pediatric urology
- Outpatient surgery
- Orchidopexy (surgery to correct undescended testes)
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Hydrocele resection
- Treatment of varicocele in children
- Correction of labial fusion
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the external genital organs
- Inguinal hernia
- Cryptorchidism (drug therapy, open surgery, minimally invasive laparoscopic intervention)
- Pediatric varicocele
- Labial fusion
- Penile torsion
- Urethral stenosis
- Acute scrotum (testicular pain due to various reasons)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the lower urinary tract
- Vesicoureteral reflux
- Ectopic ureteral orifice
- Urethral valves
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the upper urinary tract
- Kidney stones
- Ureteropelvic junction obstruction
- Kidney dysfunction
- Partial kidney dysfunction in case of double kidney
- Diagnostics, differential diagnostics and treatment of urination disorders
- Nocturnal enuresis
- Urinary incontinence in children (in the daytime)
- Neurogenic bladder
- Outpatient surgery
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Rainer Hoffmann
- 1973 - 1979 Study of Human Medicine.
- 1979 Doctoral thesis defense at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg. Subject: "Protein electrophoresis in polyacrylamide gel - a new device for electrophoretic elution of individual proteins from a gel".
- 1979 - 1980 Work in the Department of Surgery, Sutherland Hospital in Sydney, Australia.
- 1980 - 1981 Department of Surgery, Hospital Bad Windsheim.
- 1981 - 1989 Department of Urology, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 1989 Senior Physician, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 1990 - 1991 Associate Professor of Urology, University of California, San Francisco.
- 1991 Leading Senior Physician, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 1989 Habilitation and Venia legendi. Subject: "Technical development, biological effects and the first clinical experience of laser-induced shock-wave lithotripsy for urinary tract stones".
- 1990 PD title.
- 1996 Extraordinary Professorship.
- 1998 Appointment as Professor for Urology at the Philipp University of Marburg.
- Since 12.1998 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the University Hospital Marburg UKGM.
- 2007 Additional specialization in the field of tumor drug therapy, Medical Association of the State of Hesse.
Scientific Awards and Honors
- 1984 Mendelian Inheritance Man for work on the subject: "Hereditary autosomal dominant form of men’s bladder diverticulum".
- 1988 Best Report in Experimental Urology, Aachen.
- 1992 Maximilian Nietze Prize of the German Society of Urology.
- 1995 Erwin Fertig Prize, Uro-Oncology.
- 1997 1st Video Prize, World Congress of Urology in Budapest (presentation of video works).
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Student Fund of the German People.
- German Society of Urology.
- Bavarian Society of Urology.
- American Urological Association.
- Working Group on Endourology of the German Society of Urology.
- Urological Research Society.
- Paracelsus Society in Salzburg.
- Hessian Cancer Society.
- Drug Safety Commission A, Federal Ministry of Health.
- European Association of Urology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) UKGM - Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg GmbH
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology.
University Hospital Marburg UKGM:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.