Treatment of hairy cell leukemia with cytostatics (program ID: 40931)
University Hospital Marburg UKGM
Andreas NeubauerSpecialized in: hematology, oncology, immunology
Department of Hematology, Oncology and Immunology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- blood smear
- inflammation indicators
- indicators blood coagulation
- ultrasound of spleen
- aspiration biopsy of bone marrow
- cytogenetic analysis
- therapy with cytostatics (1 curse)
- nursing services
- services of all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
- Medical records
- MRI/CT scan (not older than 3 months)
- Bone marrow biopsy results (if available)
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Hematology, Oncology and Immunology at the University Hospital Marburg UKGM ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in leukemia treatment!
The department offers accurate diagnostics and effective treatment of malignant and benign blood diseases, solid tumors. The patients are treated in close collaboration with the Comprehensive Cancer Center. Of particular interest to the department's doctors is the treatment of various types of leukemia (within the specialized center with advanced infrastructure). The department takes part in many national and international clinical trials, which makes it possible for patients with advanced stages of cancer to receive treatment using innovative therapeutic methods.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Neubauer. The doctor has a unique competence in the field of his specialization and regularly ranks among the top German doctors (according to the Focus magazine)!
The department has vast experience in the treatment of patients with chemotherapeutic drugs. Chemotherapy is carried out on an outpatient basis, so the patient can return home after it. The therapeutic offer is supplemented by other treatment methods, for example, red blood cell and platelet transfusion, immunoglobulin infusions, antibody immunotherapy, pleural puncture and laparocentesis. One of the important components of therapy is psycho-oncological care. The specialists help patients to cope with a diagnosis and to cheer up for a positive therapy outcome.
The department also specializes in bone marrow transplantation, which is most often used in malignant diseases of the hematopoietic (for example, leukemia) and lymphatic systems (for example, malignant lymphoma). The department performs about 20 allogeneic and more than 30 autologous transplantations every year. In addition, it applies new transplantation methods, which allow to increase its efficiency. The clinical activities in this field are certified in accordance with the requirements of JACIE (Joint Accreditation Committee ISCT-Europe & EBMT) and the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT), which guarantees the best possible safety and treatment effectiveness.
The main focuses of the department's clinical practice include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood cancer (leukemia and malignant lymphomas)
- Diagnostics and treatment of germ-cell tumors (for example, testicular cancer)
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant tumors of the gastrointestinal tract
- Diagnostics and treatment of connective tissue tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of tumors of the respiratory system
- Diagnostics and treatment of head and neck tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood-clotting disorders
- Chemotherapy (on an outpatient basis)
- Allogeneic and autologous bone marrow transplantation, including patient care before and after transplantation
- Special hematological diagnostics
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired immunodeficiencies
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- 10.1976 - 05.1983 Study of Human Medicine in Berlin and Hamburg.
- 1984 Doctoral thesis defense at the University of Hamburg.
- 1992 Habilitation, Internal Medicine, Free University of Berlin.
Scientific and Clinical Activities
- 2010 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor, University of Freiburg (refusal).
- 2004 Invitation to the position of C4 Professor, University of Würzburg (refusal).
- Since 1999 C4 Professor, Philipps University of Marburg.
- 10.1996 - 12.1998 C3 Professor, Technical University of Dresden.
- 10.1990 - 09.1996 Assistant Physician (since 1993 Senior Physician), Department of Hematology and Oncology, Charlottenburg Hospital, Free University of Berlin.
- 10.1988 - 09.1990 Postdoctoral Scholarship, German Research Foundation, Comprehensive Cancer Center Lineberger, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA.
- 03.1986 - 09.1988 Assistant Physician, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Charlottenburg Hospital, Free University of Berlin.
- 09.1985 - 02.1986 Postdoctoral Scholarship, German Research Foundation, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried.
- 07.1984 - 08.1985 Assistant Physician, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Charlottenburg Hospital, Free University of Berlin.
- 07.1983 - 06.1984 Assistant Physician, Department of Nephrology, Charlottenburg Hospital, Free University of Berlin.
- Genetic examination in myeloid leukemia.
- Molecular biology of tumor resistance.
- Role of Helicobacter pylori infection in the development of gastric lymphoma.
Prizes and Honors
- 2016 Behring-Röntgen Medal (for Research Activities).
- 2008 Hessian State Prize (Third Place) for Oncology Curriculum.
- 2006 Wilhelm Warner Award for Cancer Research.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- 01.1988 German Society for Hematology and Medical Oncology.
- 05.1989 American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- 01.1991 Cancer and Leukemia Group B.
- 01.1994 American Society of Hematology.
- 05.1994 German Cancer Society.
- 05.1994 European Hematology Association.
- 10.1994 Berlin Cancer Society.
- 10.1994 German Working Group on Gene Therapy.
- 04.1998 German Society of Internal Medicine.
- 01.1999 American Society of Clinical Oncology.
- 10.1997 Scientific Advisory Board of the German Society of Hematology and Medical Oncology.
- Scientific Committee of the Josep Carreras Leukaemia Foundation.
Photo of the doctor: (c) UKGM - Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg GmbH