University Hospital Bonn
Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine (26275)
Specialized in: obstetrics, prenatal medicine
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine at the University Hospital Bonn ranks among the top German departments specializing in the provision of obstetric services!
The department offers the full range of top-class services in its areas of specialization, positioning itself as a modern, supraregional Level I Perinatal Center. A competent team of obstetricians, anesthesiologists and neonatologists works here around the clock. The department is distinguished by the exceptional experience in managing high-risk pregnancies (more than 2,000 pregnancies of this kind annually), as well as in the field of pregnancies with fetal malformations (more than 1,000 such cases annually). The department offers optimal opportunities for a successful and safe delivery, pre- and postnatal care for mother and child. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Ulrich Gembruch, who according to the Focus magazine, is included in the ranking of the top doctors in Germany in the field of his specialization!
The department aims to provide a human attitude, safety and security for parents and children. The specialists of the department carry out ultrasound diagnostics in all trimesters of pregnancy, carefully monitor the development of the fetus and the state of health of the mother. The doctors work exclusively with high-resolution ultrasound equipment, as well as with 3D/4D technology. If necessary, all options for invasive diagnostics and treatment of the fetus are available. The department works in close cooperation with the Department of Neonatology and Intensive Care, therefore it provides optimal care for babies with congenital abnormalities, premature babies, etc. In addition, if necessary, experts in the field of pediatric surgery, pediatric cardiology, pediatric nephrology, gynecology and other areas are involved.
All the department’s birth rooms meet modern standards and are equipped with various auxiliary means for delivery. To alleviate pain for women during labor, there are used methods of naturopathy, aromatherapy, acupuncture, epidural anesthesia, etc.
The department’s service range includes:
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Detection of malformations
- Target diagnostics in the first trimester, measurement of the collarspace thickness of the fetus
- Preeclampsia screening in the first trimester
- Examination of the fetal heart (fetal echocardiography)
- Doppler sonography (placental and umbilical cord vessels)
- Non-invasive prenatal testing of trisomies 21, 18 and 13
- Invasive examinations
- Amniocentesis (amniotic fluid sampling for analysis)
- Placental puncture (chorionic villus sampling)
- Fetal blood sampling
- Fetal therapy
- Transfusion of blood products (erythrocytes, platelets)
- Implantation of fetal shunts/catheters (for example, in hydrothorax)
- Balloon dilatation of fetal heart valves
- Risk assessment in diaphragmatic hernia of the fetus (MRI diagnostics, oxygen test)
- Interdisciplinary counseling at the Center for Congenital Malformations
- Management of high-risk pregnancies and monitoring of pregnant women with fetal malformations
- Childbirth in modern delivery rooms
- Postnatal care for mother and baby
- Methods of pain relief during labor (acupuncture, aromatherapy, epidural anesthesia, etc.)
- Emergency medical care for mother and child in case of complications
- Other medical services
Academic and Professional Activities
- Since 2002, Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine at the University Hospital Bonn.
- 1993 - 2002 Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Head of the Department of Prenatal Medicine at the University Hospital Lübeck.
- 1992 PhD thesis defense in Fetal Echocardiography.
- 1987 - 1993 Senior Physician, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital Bonn.
- 1982 - 1987 Training for Medical Specialist in Gynecology and Obstetrics, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital Bonn.
- 1980 - 1982 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Bonn.
- 1980 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 1974 - 1980 Study of Human Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Committees
- Member and Former Head of the Section of Gynecology and Obstetrics of the German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
- Member and Former Board Member of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGGG).
- Board Member and Former President of the German Society for Perinatal Medicine (DGPM).
- Member and Former President of the German Society of Prenatal Medicine and Obstetrics (DGPGM).
- Board Member of the German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
- Editorial Board Member of several journals.
Project Coordination, Participation in Joint Projects
- 1998 - 2004 Project of the German Research Foundation "Color Doppler ultrasound examinations of blood flow velocity in the venous duct of the fetus during childbirth".
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- 2015 Gold Medal of Dr. Haackert Foundation for Achievements in Prenatal Medicine.
- 2014 Fritz Acker Award for Merits in Prenatal Diagnostics of Severe Heart Defects, German Cardiac Society.
- Since 2014, Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2009 Ian Donald Golden Medal, International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- 1989 Research Scholarship of Dr. Haackert Foundation for the Development of Prenatal Medicine.
Main Research Focuses
- Prenatal diagnostics.
- Fetal echocardiography and cardiology.
- Fetal therapy.
- Risks in pregnancy.
- Prenatal medicine.
- Fetal growth monitoring.
Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine.
University Hospital Bonn:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home