University Hospital Bonn
Department of Neurology (26279)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Bonn ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease!
The department offers the full range of accurate diagnostics and effective conservative treatment of diseases of the nervous system. The department's medical team specializes in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, brain tumors, neuromuscular disorders, neurovascular pathologies. The department has the state-of-art Stroke Unit. Its specialists can rapidly and effectively diagnose a stroke in the acute phase and carry out the appropriate therapeutic measures. The Stroke Unit operates around the clock. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Klockgether.
The department's neurologists have special competence in the treatment of brain tumors, including the rare ones (certification of the German Cancer Society). The department's specialists mostly deal with the treatment of glioblastomas, astrocytomas, oligodendrogliomas, medulloblastomas, ependyma, primary lymphomas of the CNS and anaplastic meningiomas. The therapeutic range covers both standard treatment techniques, for example, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and the use of innovative developments, which often save patients' lives. The treatment strategy is developed within the interdisciplinary tumor boards with the participation of doctors from all the related fields.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain tumors (neuro-oncology)
- Primary brain tumors
- Rare brain tumors
- Primary lymphomas of the CNS
- Anaplastic meningiomas
- Metastasis from other tumors into the brain, spinal cord and meninges
- Primary brain tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of motor disorders
- Parkinson's disease (also a special multimodal comprehensive treatment concept)
- Essential tremor (for example, MRgFUS therapy, deep brain stimulation)
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuromuscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurovascular diseases (in particular, stroke)
- Classic massage
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- Kneipp's hydrotherapy, walking in water, etc.
- Special massage, for example, colon massage
- Healing baths
- Bobath therapy
- Brugger's therapy
- Other physiotherapeutic measures
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurological diseases
- 1991 Habilitation, University of Tuebingen.
- 1987 - 1991 Board certification in Neurology, Department of Neurology, University of Tuebingen.
- 1974 - 1980 Medical School, University of Göttingen.
- Since 2011 Director of Clinical Research DZNE.
- 2008 - 2011 Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Bonn.
- Since 1998 Professor and Head of the Department of Neurology, University Hospital Bonn.
Activities in the Scientific Communities / Professional Memberships
- Since 2015 Head of Bonn International Graduate School Clinical and Population Science.
- Since 2011 Head of the Centre for Rare Diseases Bonn (ZSEB).
- 2004 - 2008 Section Editor, Experimental Neurology.
Honors and Awards
- 2013 Honorary Member of the German Heredoataxia Society.
- 1993 Schilling Professorship.
- 1991 Attempto-Prize, University of Tuebingen.
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Bonn:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home