University Hospital Bonn
Department of Ophthalmology (26281)
Frank G. Holz
Specialized in: ophthalmology
As a medical institution of maximal care, the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Bonn covers the entire spectrum of ophthalmology. Annually the Department helps thousands of patients to achieve a better vision. The treatment is provided on both outpatient and inpatient basis and involves advanced diagnostic and treatment methods. The head of the Department is Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Frank G. Holz. A professional team of physicians under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Frank G. Holz provides care to patients with any ophthalmological problems.
There is always maintained an active cooperation with the departments of the University Hospital Bonn to provide interdisciplinary care, for example, for rare and inherited retinal diseases the Department is in cooperation with the Centre for Rare Diseases in Bonn (ZSEB). Moreover, the treatment quality is improved by a close cooperation with private practitioners and through the university quality control network “Eye Network West”.
The range of diagnostic and therapeutic services of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Bonn includes:
- Surgery of the anterior eye segment: Cataract surgery with the intraocular lens implantation, glaucoma (filtration, laser, minimally invasive surgery, including trabectome-assisted surgery, all options of eyelid surgery
- Surgery of the vitreous body, retina and macula: Diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, epiretinal membrane, vitreomacular adhesion, vitreomacular traction, retinal detachment; eye injuries, including severe injuries; retinal vascular diseases; submacular hemorrhages.
- Laser surgery: Diseases of the retinal vessels, including branch retinal vein occlusion, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, retinopathy of prematurity, photodynamic therapy.
- Intravitreal pharmacotherapy: Intravitreal injections of VEGF inhibitors, including Lucentis, Eylea, Avastin; intravitreal injections of Jetrea for the treatment of macular holes of small diameter and symptomatic vitreomacular adhesion, intravitreal injections of Ozurdex and Iluvien.
- Orthoptics and pediatric ophthalmology: Surgical treatment of strabismus; treatment of movement disorders of the eyes, nystagmus, neuroophthalmological diseases; botulinum toxin therapy for blepharospasm.
- Center for Low Vision: eye prosthesis, optical and electronic devices.
- Advanced diagnostic methods
- Unit of the retinal degenerative changes: including retinitis pigmentosa, macular dystrophies, molecular genetic tests, phenotyping, including retinal imaging in cooperation with the Center for Rare Diseases Bonn (ZSEB)
- Bonn, Germany