University Hospital Bonn
Department of General Pediatrics (26297)
Specialized in: general pediatrics
About the department
The Department of General Pediatrics at the University Hospital Bonn offers all the diagnostic and therapeutic options of modern medicine for newborns, young children and adolescents with common pediatric disorders. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Rainer Ganschow.
The department specializes in infectious diseases, respiratory and gastrointestinal diseases, acute and chronic diseases of the nervous system, growth and hormonal disorders, metabolic disorders, rheumatic diseases, kidney and urinary tract diseases, as well as in the immunological and allergic diseases. An experienced and competent team of medical staff, nurses, psychologists and other specialists makes every effort to make the child’s stay in the department as short as possible and at the same time as comfortable as possible.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic reactions and respiratory diseases
- Chronic lung diseases (bronchial asthma, interstitial diseases, cystic fibrosis)
- Allergic diseases (pollinosis, atopic dermatitis, allergies to food and insect venom, urticaria)
- Hyposensibilization (classic long-term, short-term and supersensitive hyposensibilization in allergy to bee and wasp venom)
- Tests for the identification of food intolerance, drug allergies
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the endocrine organs and diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver (special focus on liver transplantation in collaboration with the Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery)
- Digestive diseases
- Chronic abdominal pain
- Celiac disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn's disease
- Chronic diarrhea, constipation, nausea/vomiting
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Liver diseases
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Biliary atresia
- Fibrosis/cirrhosis before and after liver transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the immune system
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Kidney transplantation, combined kidney and liver transplantation (within the specialized center)
- Digestive diseases
- Psychological support
- Other medical services
Prof. Dr. med. Rainer Ganschow specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of liver diseases in children and adolescents. Prior to the position at the University Hospital Bonn, the doctor headed the Department of Hepatology and Liver Transplantation in Hamburg, performing more than 30 liver transplants annually. In addition, the field of expertise includes the diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases, respiratory and gastrointestinal pathologies. The spectrum is also complemented by the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nervous system, growth, hormonal disorders, rheumatic, immunological and allergic diseases.
Dr. Ganschow's research focuses mainly on the immunological processes in liver transplantation in children, since there is a risk that the child’s body may reject the transplanted organ by mistaking it for a foreign body. However, he pays special attention to the approaches, which reduce the risk of transplant rejection. Thus, some patients have the opportunity to stop taking immunosuppressants.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Bonn
Department of General Pediatrics.
University Hospital Bonn:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.