University Hospital Bonn
Department of Pediatric Cardiology (279213)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiology
About the Department of Pediatric Cardiology at University Hospital Bonn
The Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Bonn offers the full range of diagnostics and conservative treatment of newborns, young children, adolescents and adults with congenital and acquired heart defects. In collaboration with the Department of Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine, the children with heart diseases can be treated in the womb. In addition, the department specializes in the treatment of extracardiac diseases. The department participates in the project "Quality Assurance in Pediatric Cardiology/Pediatric Cardiac Surgery" of the German Society of Pediatric Cardiology and the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, which guarantees the highly effective treatment of heart diseases at the highest level of modern medicine. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Johannes Breuer.
The department carries out all modern diagnostic examinations in order to identify cardiac problems in children, in particular, all methods of ultrasound examinations, for example, 2D imaging, M-mode ultrasound, Doppler ultrasonography, continuous-wave Doppler ultrasound and color Doppler ultrasonography. In some cases, transesophageal echocardiography is also performed in young patients. In addition, the department's doctors perform 3D echocardiography, which allows to examine all parts of the heart for a few seconds and receive 3D images.
The department has a well-equipped Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, which serves for the provision of special procedures to treat heart pathologies or prepare for a surgical intervention. Also, in cooperation with the Departments of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery and Surgery, there are performed hybrid operations (the combination of a catheterization procedure and open surgery).
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart diseases in children of all age groups (including perinatal therapy and therapy of congenital heart defects in adults)
- Medical care for premature babies and newborns with abnormal development of the heart and other organs
- Comprehensive surgical treatment of heart diseases in patients of all age groups
- Catheter interventions and hybrid cardiac surgery
- Balloon dilatation in stenosis of aortic valves and blood vessels
- Stent implantation in vascular stenosis
- Closure of atrial and interventricular septal defects using special probes
- Closure of vascular defects of the small and large circulation using special spirals
- Hybrid interventions (the combination of a catheter procedure with open surgery)
- Catheter treatment of arrhythmias
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary hypertension
- 3D echocardiography
- Fetal echocardiography
- Special exercise program for children with heart diseases
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Johannes Breuer
- 1979 - 1986 Study of Medicine at the University of Duesseldorf, Germany; completed studies with a medical thesis about cardiovascular effects of serotonin.
- 1986 - 1987 Clinical and scientific work at the University of California in San Diego, USA, during a scholarship of the Rotary Foundation.
- 1987 - 1997 Specialization in Pediatrics, Pediatric Intensive Care and Pediatric Cardiology at the University of Tuebingen, Germany.
- 1997 - 2001 Resident of the Section of Pediatric Cardiology at the University of Tuebingen.
- 1998 PhD thesis in Pediatrics. Subject: "Selective changes of the pulmonary circulation by inhaled nitric oxide in children with congenital heart defects: hemodynamics, gas exchange and toxicologic aspects".
- Since 2001 Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Bonn, Germany.
- Since 2009 Professor at the University of Bonn.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Bonn
Department of Pediatric Cardiology.
University Hospital Bonn:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.