University Hospital Bonn
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery (289937)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiac surgery
The chief physician of the Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn is Dr. med. Bahman Esmailzadeh. Its main focuses include development of minimally invasive techniques and treatments for congenital and acquired heart defects combining interventions and operations (hybrid interventions).
The Section of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery of the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn offers a wide range of opportunities for surgery as well as scientific competence of the University Hospital.
The highly qualified doctors of the Department under the direction of Dr. med. Bahman Esmailzadeh perform surgical interventions for congenital and acquired heart defects. The Department has a special focus in the treatment of complex heart defects in very small premature and newborn babies and those with a few pathologies. There are also performed arterial switch operations, Norwood-Sano operations or aortic valve reconstructions after prenatal interventions. A special attention is paid to the use of ECMO in newborns.
The special team of pediatric cardiologists, anesthesiologists, cardiac surgeons and pediatric nurses under the direction of Dr. med. Bahman Esmailzadeh provides medical care to children after heart surgery. They receive it in the Department of Pediatric Intensive Care at the Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit. The further intensive care is provided in the Intensive Care Unit of the Department of Pediatrics at the University Hospital Bonn. Before the patients are released from the Department, they are treated in a new state-of-the-art Unit of Pediatric Cardiology.
The spectrum of surgical services of the Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn covers the following treatment options:
- Palliative operations for newborns (Blalock-Taussig anastomosis, Norwood operation, pulmonary artery banding)
- Glenn and Fontan operations
- Corrective surgery in newborns (coarctation of the aorta, arterial switch, total anomalous pulmonary venous connection, truncus arteriosus)
- Corrective surgery after the initial period after the birth (ventricular septal defect, atrial septal defect, atrioventricular septal defect, tetralogy of Fallot, pulmonary atresia with ventricular septal defect, double outlet right ventricle, replacement of the aortic valve and pulmonary valve, reconstruction of the tricuspid and mitral valves)
- Pacemakers (replacement and implantation of a new pacemaker)
- Hybrid interventions (stent implantation, atrial septal defect and ventricular septal defect, balloon angioplasty)
University Hospital Bonn
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Bonn, Germany