University Hospital Bonn
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery (289937)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiac surgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn offers the full range of surgical treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects. The department has various therapeutic options in order to ensure the optimal medical care for patients of different age groups, ranging from premature babies, newborns, young children, adolescents to adults with congenital heart defects. Many heart diseases can be detected even in the womb, therefore, the department holds joint consultations for future parents with the specialists in Prenatal Medicine and Pediatric Cardiology. The clinical practice is based on an interdisciplinary collaboration.
The department is headed by Dr. med. Bahman Esmailzadeh. The specialist made a significant contribution to the development of minimally invasive techniques and treatment methods for congenital and acquired heart defects using a combination of interventional procedures and open surgery (hybrid interventions).
The department has a special competence in the surgery for complex heart defects in very small premature and newborn children suffering from multiple developmental defects. For example, the department's surgeons skillfully perform the arterial switch operations, Sano modification of the Norwood procedure or aortic valve reconstruction after prenatal interventions. Special attention is paid to the use of ECMO in newborns. With appropriate indications, the doctors use the most sparing surgical techniques in order to ensure the fastest recovery of young patients after the surgery, minimal pain and risks. After the heart surgery, the child is transferred to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, where the specially trained team of pediatric cardiologists, anesthesiologists, cardiac surgeons and nurses provide all the necessary therapeutic measures.
The service range of the department includes:
- Septal defect surgery
- Atrial septal defect
- Ventricular septal defect
- Atrioventricular septal defect
- Bypass grafting
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Aortopulmonary window
- Surgery for right heart diseases
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Pulmonary valve stenosis
- Pulmonary atresia with ventricular septal defect
- Double outlet right ventricle
- Surgery for left heart diseases
- Aortic stenosis and insufficiency
- Mitral stenosis and insufficiency
- Surgery for сomplicated heart diseases
- Congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries with ventricular septal defect and left ventricular outflow tract obstruction (ccTGA, L-TGA)
- Persistent truncus arteriosus
- Left coronary artery lesions from the pulmonary artery (anomalous origin of left coronary artery from pulmonary artery, Bland-White-Garland syndrome)
- Single ventricle heart surgery
- Right-sided modified Blalock-Taussig shunt
- Sano modification of the Norwood procedure
- Norwood operation "rapid stage"
- Glenn procedure
- Fontan procedure
- Surgical treatment of vascular anomalies
- Aortic isthmus stenosis (coarctation)
- Anomalous pulmonary venous connection (partial and total anomalous pulmonary venous return)
- Interrupted aortic arch
- Double aortic arch
- Special surgical techniques
- Reconstructive interventions with valve preservation
- Cone reconstruction in Ebstein's anomaly
- Aortic valve reconstruction using the patient's own pericardial tissue (modified Ozaki procedure)
- Hybrid interventions
- Minimally invasive surgeries
- Implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators, including revision interventions
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) in newborns
- All surgical procedures in adult patients with congenital heart defects, including the acquired heart defects in childhood
- Other medical services
- 1978 - 1980 Study of Human Medicine and Physics, Free University of Berlin.
- 1980 - 1984 Study of Human Medicine, RWTH Aachen.
- 16.10.1984 Medical Examination, Aachen.
- 1986 Doctoral thesis defense and obtaining the title of Dr. med., RWTH Aachen.
- 1985 - 1988 Assistant Physician, Department of Cardiac Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. med. P .G. Kirchhoff), University Hospital Bonn.
- 1988 - 1992 Assistant Physician, Department of General, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. med. A. Hirner), University Hospital Bonn.
- 1993 Medical Specialist in Surgery.
- 1993 - 1996 Assistant Physician, Department of Cardiac Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. med. P. G. Kirchhoff), University Hospital Bonn.
- 1996 Medical Specialist in Cardiac Surgery.
- Since 1997, Senior Cardiothoracic Surgeon (Head: Prof. Dr. med. P. G. Kirchhoff), University Hospital Bonn.
- 1998 Medical Specialist in Vascular Surgery.
- 1997 - 2007 Managing Senior Physician in the Section for Heart Rhythm Disorders.
- Since 2007, Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn.
- 2009 Certificate "Surgery in Congenital Heart Diseases" of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery.
University Hospital Bonn:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home