University Hospital Bonn
Department of Mammology (569841)
Specialized in: mammology
About the Department of Mammology at University Hospital Bonn
The Department of Mammology at the University Hospital Bonn offers the full range of services for the diagnostics, treatment, monitoring and prevention of all breast diseases in women. In addition to chemotherapy and hormonal therapy, the therapeutic options include surgical treatment, radiation therapy and other very latest medical advances. The full range of plastic / reconstructive surgery is available for breast reconstruction. The treatment programs are developed within the tumor boards, in which leading experts from the related fields take part. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Andree Faridi.
All methods of modern imaging (ultrasound examination, mammography, MRI with biopsy), as well as various methods of histological analysis are available for the diagnostics. In the case of suspicious mammography results, the clarifying diagnostics is carried out in the screening center. The advanced experience and the very latest medical technology allow the doctors to accurately diagnose pathology, even in the most complex cases.
If indicated, the surgical treatment is carried out. Thanks to modern procedures for the early cancer diagnostics and the availability of a number of advanced surgical techniques, it is possible in many cases to perform an organ-sparing surgery. For example, in large tumors, drug therapy (chemo- and hormonal therapy) can significantly reduce the tumor, which also contributes to the organ-sparing intervention. Nowadays, the standard therapeutic procedure is the removal of the sentinel lymph node. If biopsy confirms the oncological changes, the removal of other affected lymph nodes will be also performed.
After the surgical removal of a tumor, various methods of reconstructive surgery (oncoplastic interventions) are used in order to correct the defects. In general, plastic, aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery is another department’s priority. In addition to the elimination of postoperative defects, a wide range of services is offered as well, including the reduction / tightening, correction of malformations, breast augmentation, anterior abdominal wall plasty, etc.
The diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department includes:
- All methods of diagnostic imaging (ultrasound examination, mammography, MRI)
- Histological examinations (puncture, vacuum assisted biopsy, etc.)
- Conservative treatment methods
- Hormone therapy (pills and depot injections)
- Psychosomatic gynecology and psycho-oncology
- Surgical treatment methods
- Organ-conserving operations
- Radical breast removal
- Reconstructive surgery
- Reconstruction using implants
- Reconstruction using the patient’s own tissues (Latissimus-dorsi or TRAM flap)
- Combination of implants and the patient’s own tissues
- Interdisciplinary tumor board
- Integrative oncology
- Supporting evidence-based naturopathic techniques
- Clinical genetic outpatient clinic
- Genetic counseling
- Genetic diagnostics
- Plastic, aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery
- Breast reduction and tightening
- Correction of breast malformations
- Breast augmentation
- Plastic surgery of the anterior abdominal wall
- Scar revision
- Nipple correction and reconstruction
- And other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Andree Faridi
Education and Professional Experience
- 1980 - 1986 Study of Medicine, University of Cologne.
- 1986 Admission to medical practice, Cologne.
- 1986 - 1987 Captain, Medical Service Corps, Munich and Oldenburg.
- 1987 - 1991 Assistant Physician, Department of Gynecology, Remscheid Hospital.
- 03/1991 Doctoral thesis defense with honors.
- 1992 - 1993 Research Fellow in the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 1993 Certified Gynecologist and Obstetrician.
- 1993 - 1995 Senior Physician, Department of Gynecology, Remscheid Hospital.
- 1995 Head of the Department.
- 1995 Senior Physician, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Aachen.
- 1996 Optional additional qualification: Special Gynecological Surgery.
- 2000 Deputy Director of the Hospital.
- 2001 Instructor in advanced training courses: Special Gynecological Surgery.
- 2002 Venia Legendi, PD.
- 2003 Head of the Section of Breast Surgery / Senology, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Aachen.
- 2003 Invitation to the position of C3 Professor in Gynecology with Special Competence in Breast Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Heidelberg University.
- 2004 Chief Physician of the Department of Gynecology, Porz Clinic am Rhein, Cologne.
- 2004 Specialization: Breast Ultrasound Examination.
- 2005 Appointment as a Visiting Professor, Rhine-Westphalian Technical University of Aachen.
- 2005 Certified as a Medical Specialist in Breast Surgery by the Working Group on Aesthetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Gynecology (AWOgyn) of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- 2006 Instructor in advanced training courses of the Medical Association of North Rhine for Medical Specialists in Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- 2007 Chief Physician, Department of Gynecology and Mammology, Academic Hospital Asklepios Barmbek, Hamburg.
- 2007 Qualification in Gynecological Oncology.
- 2009 OnkoZert certification: Senior Breast Surgeon.
- 2011 - 2018 Senior Physician, Breast Center, Vivantes Klinikum Am Urban, Berlin.
- 2017 Visiting Professor, Baotou Medical College, PRC.
- Since 2018, Medical Director in the Department of Mammology at the University Hospital Bonn.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Commission Member in advanced training, German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- Committee Member on the certification for Breast Centers of the German Cancer Society (DKG).
- Board Member of the Working Group on Aesthetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Gynecology (AWOgyn) of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- Deputy Chairman of the German Academy of Senology of the German Society for Senology.
- Faculty Member, European Academy of Senology.
- Faculty Member, Turkish Academy of Senology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Bonn
Department of Mammology.
University Hospital Bonn:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.