Liver cirrhosis diagnosis (program ID: 87037)
University Hospital Bonn
Christian P. StrassburgSpecialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, nephrology, infectology, endocrinology, diabetology
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Nephrology, Infectology, Endocrinology and Diabetology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical blood test
- tumor markers (AFP)
- liver function tests (ALT, AST, GGT, AP, Bilirubin)
- hepatitis serology
- inflammation markers (CRP, ESR)
- blood coagulation analysis (aPTT, PT, INR)
- ultrasound of the abdomen
- fibroscan (transient elastography)
- doppler of the liver blood vessels
- FNA biopsy of the liver (if clinically indicated, additional cost is 2500€)
- nursing services
- consultation of related specialists
- treatment by chief physician and all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Nephrology, Infectology, Endocrinology and Diabetology at the University Hospital Bonn offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in these fields. The department specializes in the treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, kidneys, endocrine organs, including diabetes mellitus, as well as the treatment of infectious diseases. Of particular interest is the treatment of oncopathology of the digestive tract and liver, as well as rare hereditary intestinal tumors (in collaboration with the Center for Integrated Oncology). In addition, the therapeutic options include liver, kidney, and pancreas transplantation. The department's doctors have both classical and innovative methods of diagnostics and therapy, thanks to which they achieve high rates of treatment success. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christian P. Strassburg.
In the field of gastroenterology and hepatology, the department offers conservative and endoscopic diagnostics, effective treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, pancreas, liver and biliary tract, portal hypertension, treatment of inflammatory liver diseases, including hepatitis B and C, as well as the diagnostics and treatment of other types of gastroenterological and liver diseases. The department has state-of-the-art Laboratory for Functional Gastroenterological Diagnostics, in which both traditional and special laboratory tests are carried out.
Another important focus of the department’s clinical activities is nephrology. The department employs high-class specialists, who provide the effectively treatment of all kidney diseases, hypertension, and systemic diseases caused by the damage to the kidneys or blood vessels (such as systemic lupus erythematosus or Wegener's granulomatosis). The department offers patients all modern types of renal replacement therapy, including kidney transplantation and combined transplantations (simultaneous transplantation of the kidney and pancreas, kidney and liver). Such methods of blood purification as hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, plasmapheresis, etc. are available here as well.
In addition, the department provides qualified medical care to patients with infectious diseases. The department's specialists mostly have to deal with such pathologies as HIV, tuberculosis, hepatitis C, and tropical infections.
In the field of endocrinology, the focus is on the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the thyroid gland, pituitary, adrenal glands, disorders of bone, and calcium-phosphorus metabolism. The department is equipped with modern ultrasound systems, which make it possible to accurately determine the nature of changes in the endocrine organs. In addition, the diagnostic range is complemented by functional examinations, for example, pituitary function tests and dexamethasone suppression test, thyroid scintigraphy (in collaboration with the Department of Nuclear Medicine). The department's doctors also have vast experience in the treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes. The main type of therapy include insulin therapy, proper nutrition, lifestyle modification.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver, including the oncological ones
- Esophageal disease
- Stomach diseases
- Bowel disease
- Liver diseases
- Bile duct diseases
- Pancreatic disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney disease
- Acute and chronic kidney diseases
- Arterial hypertension
- Systemic diseases caused by kidney damage
- Kidney stone disease
- Disorders of water and electrolyte metabolism and acid-base balance
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases
- HIV infection
- Hepatitis C
- Tropical infections
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine diseases
- Thyroid diseases
- Pituitary diseases
- Bone metabolism disorders
- Phosphorus-calcium metabolism disorders
- Adrenal gland diseases
- Gonad disorders
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes
- Lipid metabolism disorders
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Experience
- 1986 - 1993 Study of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School and Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Philadelphia; PhD thesis defense, Internship in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School (Head: Prof. Dr. med. M. P. Manns).
- 1995 Admission to medical practice.
- 1996 ECFMG certification, USA.
- 1996 - 1998 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, San Diego, Cancer Center and Department of Pharmacology (German Research Foundation).
- 2000 Doctoral thesis defense and Venia Legendi (Hannover Medical School).
- 2001 Certificated Therapist and appointed as a Senior Physician in the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School.
- 2001 - 2012 Managing Senior Therapist of the Section of Interdisciplinary Liver Transplantation at the Hanover Transplant Center.
- 2002 - 2005 Heisenberg Scholarship of the German Research Foundation.
- 2005 Certificated Therapist/Gastroenterologist.
- 2005 - 2012 Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School.
- Since 2012 Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Nephrology, Diabetology, Endocrinology and Infectology at the University Hospital Bonn (W3 Professor, Department of Internal Medicine I).
Awards and Honors
- 1997 Pete Lopiccola Fellowship Award, University of California, San Diego.
- 1998 Dr. Norbert Henning Prize in Gastroenterology, University of Erlangen.
- 2004 Genetics Committee Member of the International Autoimmune Hepatitis Group.
- 2006 Appointment as an Extraordinary Professor.
- 2006 Secretary of the Annual Congress of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS), Hannover.
- 2007 Appointment as W2 University Professor in Gastroenterology, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School.
- 2008 Scientific Committee of the International Society for the Study of Xenobiotics (ISSX), Regional Meeting, Lisbon.
- 2009 Appointment as W3 Professor and Head of the Department of Gastroenterology at the University Hospital Rostock (refusal).
- Since 2009 Deputy Chairman of the Organizing Committee on Liver Diseases of the German Transplantation Society (DTG), position on the Eurotransplant Liver Intestine Advisory Committee (ELIAC).
- 2011 Elected Chairman of the Liver and Intestine Committee (DTG), Member of the Eurotransplant Liver Intestinal Advisory Committee, Organ Transplantation Committee (StäKO), German Medical Association and Federal Expert Group on Liver Diseases of the AQUA Institute.
- 2012 Position of W3 Professor in Internal Medicine and Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Nephrology, Diabetology, Endocrinology and Infectology at the University Hospital Bonn.
- 2013 Board Secretary of the German Transplantation Society.
- 2015 President of the North Rhine-Westphalian Society of Gastroenterology.
- 2016 BÄK Scientific Advisory Board.
- 2016 Position of President of the German Transplantation Society.
- 2017 President of the 26th Annual Meeting of the German Transplantation Society, Bonn.
Main Clinical Focuses
- Clinical gastroenterology and hepatology, internal medicine.
- Chronic and acute diseases of the biliary tract, infectious and non-infectious diseases of the liver, liver tumors, genetic liver diseases.
- Diagnostic and interventional endoscopy, ultrasound examination.
- Transplant medicine.
- Immune-mediated and autoimmune diseases.
Main Research Focuses
- Molecular carcinogenesis.
- Molecular mechanisms of the barrier functioning of the mucous membrane in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Metabolism, drug and xenobiotic metabolism, pharmacogenetics.
- Basics of liver transplantation and chronic liver disease.
- Developmental mechanisms of the liver fibrosis.
- Autoimmune liver diseases, autoimmune serology and genetics.
- Gene regulation and signal transduction in inflammatory and neoplastic diseases.
- Diagnostics and development of therapeutic regimens for the treatment of genetic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS).
- German Association of the Study of the Liver (GASL).
- European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL).
- German Transplantation Society (DTG).
- German Society of Internal Medicine (DGIM).
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD).