Diagnosis and treatment of macular edema with drugs administration into vitreous cavity (program ID: 87473)
University Hospital Bonn
Frank G. HolzSpecialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology
The program includes:
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- metabolic status (uric acid, total glucose, HbA1c)
- biochemical analysis of blood
- indicators of inflammation
- indicators blood coagulation
- ophthalmologic examination:
- slit-lamp examination
- optical coherence tomography OCT (on indication)
- laser doppler retinal vessels
- pupil function tests
- ocular motility test
- perimetry (visual field test)
- computer perimetry
- visometry (without correction and with correction)
- refractometry (objective, subjective, cycloplegic)
- non-contact tonometer
- nursing services
- drugs administration into vitreous cavity
- services of chief physician and all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
- Medical records
- Optical coherence tomography (if available)
You may also book:
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Bonn offers the full range of conservative and surgical treatment of diseases of the eye and its appendages. The department specializes in age-related macular degeneration and other diseases of the retina, corneal diseases, treatment of dry eye and blepharitis, uveitis, refractive surgery using the LASIK technique, etc. During the diagnostics, treatment and all microsurgical interventions the doctors use the very latest medical advances, which meet the highest quality standards. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Frank G. Holz.
Key attention is paid to the surgical treatment of various diseases. The department has an excellent reputation in corneal transplantation (keratoplasty), surgical treatment of cataract, glaucoma, strabismus, operations on the eyelids (in developmental defects, the problem of droopy eyelids, tumors), etc. The department also has advanced experience in the treatment of more complex pathologies. These include, for example, macular rotation in age-related macular degeneration, translocation of the retinal pigment epithelium, macular ruptures and edema, vascular eye disease, etc.
In addition, the department is the recognized Laser Surgery Center. Such diseases as retinopathy, retinal breaks, retinal vascular occlusion, secondary cataracts, etc. are successfully treated with the help of modern laser methods. Special attention is paid to the treatment of ophthalmological problems in children and adolescents, for example, laser surgery in the case of retinopathy in newborns. The department offers the very latest treatments, including photodynamic therapy, transpupillary thermotherapy, refractive surgery (LASIK, photorefractive keratectomy), etc.
The therapeutic range of the department includes the following options:
- Anterior segment surgery
- Corneal transplantation (keratoplasty)
- Eyelid surgery
- Eyelid malformations
- Eyelid tumors
- Strabismus surgery
- Vitreous and retinal surgery
- Macular rotation in age-related degeneration
- Retinal pigment epithelium translocation
- Macular tears
- Macular edema
- Epiretinal gliosis
- Retinal detachment
- Vascular diseases
- Removal of the vitreous body (vitrectomy)
- Laser surgery
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Retinal breaks
- Retinal vascular occlusion
- Secondary cataract
- Retinopathy of prematurity
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT)
- Transpupillary thermotherapy
- Refractive surgery (LASIK, PRK)
- Conservative treatment
- Botulinum toxin injections
- Dry eye syndrome (Sicca syndrome)
- Inflammation of the inner part of the eye (uveitis)
- Lysis therapy in vascular occlusion
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Institute of Ophthalmic Prosthetics
- And other options of conservative and surgical treatment
Education and Professional Experience
- 4/1983 - 5/1989 Study of Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- 1986 - 1987 Medical thesis in Physiology: "Renovascular effects of adenosine receptor agonists" (magna cum laude), doctoral degree (Dr.med.).
- 9/1987 Clinical Clerkship in Hematology / Bone Marrow Transplantation, Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
- 4/1988 - 11/1988 Clinical Clerkship in Surgery and Internal Medicine, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, USA.
- 1989 - 1991, 1994 Residency, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- 1992 - 1993 Research and Clinical Fellowship, Institute of Ophthalmology, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, England.
- 9/1993 Research Project, Schepens Eye Research Institute, Boston, USA.
- 1994 Board certification in Ophthalmology.
- 1995 - 2003 Senior Physician in the Department of Ophthalmology, University of Heidelberg, Germany; 2001 - 2003 Head of the Department.
- 10/1997 Habilitation (Associate Professor) in Ophthalmology: "Age-dependent changes in Bruch’s membrane and retinal pigment epithelium as pathogenetic factors in age-related macular degeneration".
- Since 2003, Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology, Chairman and Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn.
Scholarships and Awards
- 1987 - 1989 Fellow of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation ("Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes").
- 1988 Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- 1992 - 1993 Research Scholarship of the Gertrud Kusen Foundation, Hamburg, Germany.
- 1999 Macular Degeneration Research Award for the Prevention of Blindness. Pro Retina Germany and Switzerland.
- 1999 Research Award of the German Ophthalmological Society (DOG).
- 2000 Achievement Award of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
- 2001 Leonhard Klein Award for Ophthalmic Surgery.
- 2005 DOC Award, German Ophthalmic Surgeons.
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO).
- Macula Society.
- Club Jules Gonin.
- Oxford Ophthalmological Congress (OOC).
- European Fluorescein Angiography Club (FAN-Club).
- German Ophthalmological Society (DOG).
- German Retinological Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Bonn
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Diagnosis and treatment of macular edema with drugs administration into vitreous cavity
- Hospital: University Hospital Bonn
There are 72 macular edema treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics