University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology (292200)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric urology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden is in the ranking of the top German department specializing in prostate cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the genital and urinary system in men and boys. Key attention is paid to the treatment of urologic cancers, benign prostatic hyperplasia, urolithiasis and urinary incontinence in men and women.
The specialization also includes kidney transplantation (in collaboration with the Department of Nephrology), andrology, and neuro-urology. To provide surgical treatment, the department has sparing minimally invasive techniques and the da Vinci® robotic surgical system, which minimizes the risk of complications and guarantees the patient the fastest possible recovery. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christian Thomas.
The priority focus of the department is the treatment of genitourinary malignancies in men (prostate, bladder and kidney cancer). In the field of prostate cancer treatment, the department is certified in compliance with the international quality standard DIN ISO 9001:2008. The therapeutic options range from modern conservative methods (for example, immunotherapy, chemotherapy) to minimally invasive and radical tumor surgery. At the terminal stages of cancer, patients are provided with high-quality palliative care. Since the beginning of 2006, the department has its own da Vinci® robotic surgical system, which is effectively used for radical prostatectomy. This progressive device allows the doctor to make the most accurate incisions during the intervention, to minimize blood loss, the risk of postoperative complications and infection, as well as to ensure the speedy recovery of the patient. The specialists of the department have also gained an excellent reputation in the treatment of testicular cancer.
Another department’s area of specialization is the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. In this field, the doctors have mastered the entire arsenal of effective modern techniques, for example, drug therapy, classical resections, photoselective laser vaporization using Greenlight laser, as well as open surgery (adenomectomy) in cases when the prostate volume is significantly enlarged.
In addition, the department employs highly qualified doctors who do an excellent job of treating various urological diseases in children. Special focus is made on the correction of congenital anomalies, for example, hypospadias, functional bladder surgery in patients with reflux or renal pelvis defects.
The department’s range of services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostate cancer
- Conservative treatments (for example, chemotherapy)
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Radical surgery
- Robotic surgery (da Vinci® robot)
- Palliative care
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney cancer
- Open interventions
- Laparoscopic interventions
- Organ preservation surgery
- Complete removal of the affected kidney
- Diagnostics and treatment of bladder cancer
- Transurethral resection
- Radical cystectomy
- All procedures for urinary diversion (for example, bladder substitution, including orthotopic bladder substitute, formation of an urinary bladder from ileum)
- Diagnostics and treatment of testicular cancer
- Surgical treatment
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Drug therapy
- Transurethral surgery (classical resections, photoselective laser vaporization using Greenlight® laser)
- Open surgery (adenomectomy) in cases when the prostate volume is significantly enlarged
- Prostate biopsy (ultrasound/MRI-guided)
- Diagnostics and treatment of urolithiasis
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
- Urethroscopic stone extraction
- Lithotripsy using mechanical or laser methods
- Percutaneous endoscopic kidney surgery to remove large kidney stones
- Kidney transplantation (in collaboration with the Department of Nephrology)
- Diagnostics and treatment of urologic diseases in children
- All kinds of urologic reconstructive surgical procedures (for example, hypospadias repair, repair of renal pelvis anomalies)
- Reconstructive urinary tract surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary incontinence in adults and children (for example, TVT, Advance® surgery, sphincter prosthesis implantation (AMS 800®))
- Diagnostics and treatment of infertility, erectile dysfunction
- Surgical sperm extraction (TESE/MESA)
- Prosthesis implantation for erectile dysfunction
- Other medical services
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology.
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home