University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Department of Pneumology (292201)
Specialized in: pneumology
The Department of Pneumology of the Internal Medicine I at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden under the direction of Dr. med. Michael Halank treats patients with diseases of the lower respiratory tract (trachea and bronchi) and the lungs (pneumonia, obstructive airway diseases, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer), vascular disease of the lungs (pulmonary hypertension), pleural diseases (pleurisy, pleural mesothelioma), sleep-related disorders (obstructive or central sleep apnea syndrome), as well as respiratory muscle failure. The Departmnet maintains tight cooperation with all other disciplines of the University Hospital in Dresden. In particular, patients with malignancies are examined together with all the required experts (in the fields of surgery, pathology, radiation therapy, oncology, psycho-oncology etc.) within the framework of the University Cancer Center. Therefore, there is offered a comprehensive treatment.
Within the framework of one of the largest Pulmonary Hypertension Centers on the area of new federal states of Germany, the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden provides a multidisciplinary treatment, nursing and follow-up care to patients with pulmonary vascular diseases, especially with pulmonary hypertension (PH). The Department also maintains tight collaboration with the Allergy Center, founded at the University Hospital in Dresden, and thus patients with asthma and other allergic lung diseases can be treated here.
Adult patients with cystic fibrosis receive medical care in the Academic Cystic Fibrosis Center, which is managed together with the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine of the University Hospital in Dresden. There are ivolved such disciplines as endocrinology, physiotherapy, gastroenterology, medical physiology, nutritional medicine, clinical microbiology etc. In addition, the Department works closely with the Thoracic Surgery, Rheumatology and Infectology at the University Hospital in Dresden.
The range of medical services of the Department of Pneumology under the direction of Dr. med. Michael Halank includes:
- Pulmonary endoscopy with bronchoscopy that (depending on indications) is performed with bronchoalveolar lavage and direct lung biopsy (transbronchial biopsy)
- Bronchoscopy with endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) for direct ultrasound-guided puncture of the lymph nodes
- Bronchoscopy with endoscopic lung volume reduction (lung reduction in case of severe pulmonary hyperinflation) in patients with severe COPD / pulmonary emphysema
- Right Heart Catheterization Laboratory with the examination of pulmonary circulation in patients with such pulmonary vascular diseases as pulmonary hypertension
- Pulmonary Function Laboratory including spirometry, total plethysmography, ergospirometry, measurement of respiratory muscle strength, blood gas tests and bronchial challenge test
- Thoracic ultrasound for the diagnosis of pleural diseases
- Ultrasound-guided puncture of pleural and lung formations, pleural drainage placement
- Interdisciplinary Somnology Laboratory that registers biological signals on an outpatient and inpatient basis (polygraphy, polysomnography), as well as various treatments (e.g. night lung ventilation using a mask) and clinical tests (e.g. multiple sleep latency test (MSLT) or pupillometry insomnia test)
- Dresden, Germany