University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (292206)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden offers the full range of diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves at the highest international level of modern medicine. The department has at its disposal three high-tech operating rooms, in which more than 2,000 surgical interventions are performed annually. Of particular interest of the department’s specialists is surgery of tumors of the nervous system in childhood and adulthood. The department has at its command the advanced surgical techniques, for example, navigation surgery, intraoperative neuromonitoring, hybrid surgical techniques that are the basis of the department’s successful clinical practice. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Gabriele Schackert.
The department is equipped with all necessary medical equipment for carrying out preoperative diagnostic procedures, such as transcranial magnetic stimulation, pre- and intraoperative neuromonitoring. The department also has modern microscopes and performs resection procedures using fluorescence and neuronavigation. In addition, since October 2018, an intraoperative 3 Tesla MRI system is available here. This system allows surgeons to control the degree of tumor resection during surgery, to clearly see the remaining part of the resected tumor and, thus, to achieve the best result, avoiding neurological disorders. All of these features provide the highest level of patient safety.
The department has at its command a hybrid operating room, which is used to perform cerebrovascular vascular interventions and operations for the treatment of epilepsy. The specialization of the department also includes spinal surgery and neuromodulation with deep brain stimulation.
The department’s service range includes:
- Surgical treatment of tumors of the nervous system in adults and children
- Brain metastases
- Skull base tumors
- Pituitary adenoma
- Acoustic neuroma
- Germ cell tumors
- Spinal surgery
- Spinal stenosis
- Herniated disc
- Intramedullary spinal tumors
- Extramedullary spinal tumors
- Vascular spinal pathologies
- Spinal injuries
- Inflammatory spinal processes
- Neurosurgical pain therapy / neuromodulation
- Electrical spinal cord stimulation
- Electrical nerve ending stimulation
- Use of special pumps with medications for the treatment of severe chronic pain
- Deep brain stimulation
- Idiopathic Parkinson’s disease
- Essential tremor
- Tourette syndrome
- Vascular neurosurgery
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Vascular spinal pathologies
- Dural arteriovenous fistulas
- Surgical treatment of epilepsy
- Resection of the anterior temporal lobe
- Selective amygdalogoppocampectomy
- Implantation of the vagus nerve stimulator (for example, for patients with refractory epilepsy)
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Rare compression syndromes (tarsal tunnel syndrome, Bernhardt-Roth syndrome)
- Revision peripheral nerve surgery, also in combination with reconstructive nerve surgery
- Peripheral nerve lesions
- Peripheral nerve tumors (schwannomas, neurofibromas)
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Damage to the brachial plexus during childbirth
- Hypoglossal nerve stimulation
- Surgical treatment of hydrocephalus
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Brain tumors
- Skull malformations (for example, premature accretion of cranial sutures)
- Other neurosurgical diseases in children and adults, other treatment methods
- 1971 - 1977 Study of Human Medicine at Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg; state exam and admission to medical practice.
- 1977 Doctoral dissertation defense.
- 1978 - 1984 Training to become a Medical Specialist in Neurosurgery, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg and Heidelberg University.
- 1984 Medical Specialist in Neurosurgery.
- 1986 - 1988 Research internship in the Department of Cell Biology, MD Anderson Cancer Center of the University of Texas, Houston, USA.
- 1990 Habilitation in Neurosurgery.
- 1991 Venia legendi in Neurosurgery.
- Since 1993, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 1995 Additional qualifications in Neurosurgical Intensive Care.
- 1999 Invitation to the position of C4 Professor in Neurosurgery at the University of Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2001 Awarded with the Order of Merit for Saxony.
- 2009 Additional specialization in Neurosurgical Oncology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Since 1984, German Society of Neurosurgery (DGNC).
- Since 1994, German Society of Neuro-Oncology.
- 1995 European Association of Neurological Oncology (EANO).
- Since 1996, German Academy of Neurosurgery.
- Since 1997, German Research Group on Gene Therapy.
- Since 1999, European Skull Base Society (E.S.B.).
- Since 1999, German Society of Skull Base Surgery.
- 1999 - 2002 Foundation for Neurosurgical Research.
- Since 2000, German Academy of Education and Advanced Training in Neurosurgery.
- 2000 - 2003 Consultant (Expert Reviewer) of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- Since 2002, Reemtsma Foundation, Max Planck Society.
- 2002 - 2008 Karl Heinz Beckarts Foundation, Max planck Society.
- 2002 - 2008 Co-Editor of the Journal Zentralblatt für Neurosurgery.
- Since 2001, Representative of the Cancer Society, Section of Neuro-Oncology.
- 2003 - 2008 Re-elected as the Press Secretary of the Cancer Society, Section of Neuro-Oncology.
- Since 2003, Corresponding Member of the American Academy of Neurosurgery.
- 2004 Organization of a Joint Meeting of the American Academy of Neurosurgeons, the German Society of Neurosurgery and the German Academy of Neurosurgery, Dresden, Germany.
- 2004 - 2007 Scientific Committee of the German Medical Association.
- Since 2009, Member of the Academia Eurasiana Neurochirurgica.
- Since 2010, 2nd Chairman of the Standing Committee on Science and Research of the German Society of Neurosurgery.
- Since 2014, Member of the European Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Cancer surgery (in children and adults).
- Skull base surgery.
- Acoustic neuroma.
- Intramedullary tumors.
- Experimental neuro-oncology: gliomas/metastases.
- Molecular analysis of brain tumors.
- Molecular endoscopy.
- Pre- and intraoperative neuroimaging.
Photo: (c) depositphotos
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.