University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Department of Pediatric Surgery (292212)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the Department of Pediatric Surgery at University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden offers the full range of surgical treatment for various diseases in children and adolescents, including premature babies and newborns. The department's specialists most often perform surgical interventions for the treatment of abdominal diseases, injuries, urologic pathologies, hydrocephalus, cancers, burns, thoracic pathologies and the correction of hand defects. When indicated, the preference is always given to minimally invasive interventions that ensure an optimal result with minimal trauma to healthy tissues. The department also widely uses innovative laser surgical techniques. For the high quality of medical services provided, the department was awarded the most prestigious certificate in the field of pediatrics – Ausgezeichnet. FÜR KINDER. The health of young patients is in the hands of the highly qualified surgeons whose professionalism is recognized in Germany and far beyond its borders. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Guido Fitze.
The department's specialists often perform surgical interventions for the treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and biliary tract, pancreas, spleen, as well as defecation disorders. The department's surgeons give preference to low-trauma interventions, during which surgical access is provided by means of several incisions in the skin and soft tissues of 1-1,5 cm in size. The operating rooms of the medical facility are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment that allows doctors to perform surgical manipulations of any degree of complexity.
The department also successfully performs many operations for colorectal diseases in children. The most common pathologies include rectal prolapse, anal fissures, anorectal malformations, anal atresia, Hirschsprung's disease, perianal abscesses and fistulas, as well as constipation. In some cases, the department's doctors recommend starting with monitoring dynamics, since certain pathologies can disappear on their own with age. For example, in the case of rectal prolapse, symptoms in children often disappear without any therapeutic manipulations.
The tasks of the department's doctors also include surgical interventions for diseases of the urinary system and reproductive organs in boys. The specialists of the medical facility have vast experience in the surgical repair of hypospadias, cryptorchidism and phimosis. In addition, the team of pediatric surgeons brilliantly performs surgery for ureteral stenosis, vesicoureteral reflux, megaureter, kidney duplication, urogenital sinus and other pathologies.
It should be noted that many operations are performed on an outpatient basis, so the child can leave the department on the same day. The interventions in the outpatient operating room are performed for inguinal and umbilical hernias, phimosis, removal of hemangiomas, keloid scars, ingrown nails, etc.
The department's surgical range of services includes:
- Abdominal surgery
- Interventions on the liver, biliary tract, pancreas, spleen and other gastrointestinal organs
- Treatment of defecation disorders, such as fecal incontinence, constipation
- Surgical treatment on an outpatient basis and in a day clinic
- Removal of metal structures after osteosynthesis
- Repair of umbilical and inguinal hernias
- Circumcision in phimosis
- Treatment of hemangioma with diode laser
- Emmert plasty for ingrown nail
- Laser treatment of hemangiomas, vascular malformations, keloid scars
- Surgical treatment of hand pathologies
- Syndactyly repair
- Polydactyly repair
- Surgical treatment of hydrocephalus (post-hemorrhagic and post-meningitis hydrocephalus, malformations)
- Surgical treatment of proctological diseases in children
- Anal fissures
- Rectal prolapse
- Anorectal malformations, anal atresia
- Hirschsprung's disease
- Perianal abscess/fistula
- Surgical treatment of injuries, including polytrauma and bone fractures
- Surgical treatment of urologic diseases
- Ureteral stricture
- Vesicoureteral reflux (primary and secondary forms)
- Kidney duplication and urinary tract malformations
- Dilated uropathy (hydronephrosis)
- Congenital posterior urethral valves
- Bladder emptying disorders (bladder dysfunction, detrusor overactivity)
- Malformations of reproductive organs (urogenital sinus)
- Undescended testicles (cryptorchidism)
- Diurnal and nocturnal enuresis (urinary incontinence)
- Surgical treatment of craniosynostosis
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Endoscopic interventions
- Ovarian surgery
- Urological interventions
- Surgical treatment of varicocele
- Injection therapy for vesicoureteral reflux
- Ureterocele resection
- Renal pelvic plastic surgery
- Thoracoscopic operations
- Partial lung resection
- Esophageal atresia repair
- Diaphragmatic hernia repair
- Laparoscopic interventions
- Endoscopic interventions
- Surgical treatment of newborns and premature babies
- Developmental defects
- Esophageal atresia
- Complete gastrointestinal atresia
- Abdominal wall defects
- Spina bifida and skull splitting
- Diaphragmatic hernia
- Intestinal innervation disorders (Hirschsprung's disease)
- Genitourinary malformations
- Patent foramen ovale
- Developmental defects
- Thoracic surgery
- Repair of thoracic deformities (pectus excavatum, pectus carinatum)
- Lung malformations (lung cysts, pulmonary sequestration)
- Cancer surgery
- Malignant tumors (excluding CNS tumors)
- Benign neoplasms, lymphangiomas, hemangiomas, teratomas
- Treatment of burns (including steam burns) and follow-up plastic reconstruction
- Other surgical procedures
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Guido Fitze
University Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1991 Doctor of Medicine, Dresden University, Germany.
- 1993 Admission to medical practice.
- 2000 Board certification in Pediatric Surgery.
- 2003 Habilitation, Heidelberg University.
- 2004 Venia Legendi in Pediatric Surgery (Assistant Professor), Faculty of Medicine, Dresden University.
- 2009 Professor for Pediatric Surgery.
- 1991 - 1994 Resident, Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 1994 - 1995 Resident, Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 1996 - 1998 Research Fellow, Department of Surgical Research, Dresden University.
- 1998 - 2000 Consultant, Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 2001 - 2003 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 2004 Managing Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- Experience in Pediatric Surgery: surgical interventions on abdominal and thoracic organs, thyroid gland; plastic surgery, traumatology, surgical treatment of cancers.
- 2009 Professor for Pediatric Surgery, Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- Fritz Linder Award.
- Ilse Krause Award.
- Consulting Editor, European Journal of Pediatric Surgery.
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.