University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Department of Pediatric Surgery (292212)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden offers the full range of treatment of various surgical diseases in children and adolescents, including premature babies and newborns. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Guido Fitze.
The specialists of the department mostly have to perform surgical interventions for the treatment of diseases of the abdominal organs, injuries, urological pathologies, hydrocephalus, cancer, burns, thoracic pathologies and the correction of hand defects. With appropriate indications, preference is always given to minimally invasive interventions, which ensure an optimal result with minimal traumatization of the child’s body. Also, innovative laser surgical techniques are widely practiced in the department. The department performs more than 1,800 operations on an inpatient basis and 200 interventions on a partially inpatient basis.
The department’s therapeutic range includes:
- Abdominal surgery
- Interventions on the liver, biliary tract, pancreas, spleen, gastrointestinal tract
- Treatment of defecation disorders, for example, fecal incontinence, constipation
- Surgical treatment on an outpatient basis and in a day hospital
- Removal of metal structures after osteosynthesis
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Circumcision in phimosis
- Treatment of hemangiomas using a diode laser
- Emmert’s procedure for nail ingrowth
- Laser treatment of hemangiomas, vascular malformations, keloid scars
- Hand surgery
- Syndactyly correction
- Polydactyly correction
- Surgical treatment of hydrocephalus (posthemorrhagic, postmeningitis hydrocephalus, malformations)
- Surgical treatment of proctological diseases in children
- Anal fissures
- Rectal prolapse
- Anorectal malformations, anal atresia
- Hirschsprung’s disease
- Perianal abscess/fistula
- Treatment of injuries, including polytrauma, bone fractures
- Surgical treatment of urological pathologies
- Ureteral stenosis
- Vesicoureteral reflux (primary and secondary forms)
- Double kidney and urinary tract malformations
- Dilatational uropathy (hydronephrosis)
- Posterior urethral valve
- Impaired bladder voiding (bladder dysfunction, hyperactive detrusor)
- Genital malformations (urogenital sinus)
- Undescended testicles (cryptorchidism)
- Day and night enuresis (urinary incontinence)
- Surgical treatment of craniosynostosis
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Endoscopic interventions
- Ovarian surgery
- Urologic interventions
- Varicocele surgery
- Injection therapy for vesicoureteral reflux
- Ureterocele resection
- Renal pelvis plastic surgery
- Thoracoscopic surgery
- Partial lung resection
- Treatment of esophageal atresia
- Treatment of diaphragmatic hernia
- Laparoscopic interventions
- Endoscopic interventions
- Surgery for newborns and premature babies
- Esophageal atresia
- Intestinal atresia
- Abdominal wall defects
- Spina bifida
- Diaphragmatic hernia
- Intestinal innervation disorders (Hirschsprung's disease)
- Malformations of the genitourinary system
- Persistent arterial duct
- Thoracic surgery
- Correction of chest wall deformities (funnel, keeled chest)
- Lung malformations (lung cysts, lung sequestration)
- Cancer surgery
- Malignant tumors (except for CNS tumors)
- Benign tumors, lymphangiomas, hemangiomas, teratomas
- Treatment of burns (including steam burns) and subsequent plastic reconstruction
- Other surgical interventions
- 1991 Doctor of Medicine, Medical School, University of Dresden, Germany.
- 1993 Admission to medical practice.
- 2000 Board certification as a Medical Specialist in Pediatric Surgery.
- 2003 Habilitation, University of Heidelberg.
- 2004 Venia legendi in Pediatric Surgery (PD), Medical School, University of Dresden.
- 2009 Professor in Pediatric Surgery.
- 1991 - 1994 Resident, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 1994 - 1995 Resident, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 1996 - 1998 Research Fellowship, Department of Surgical Research, University of Dresden.
- 1998 - 2000 Consultant, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 2001 - 2003 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 2004 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- Experience in Pediatric Surgery (abdominal surgery, surgery of the thorax and thyroid gland, plastic surgery, trauma surgery, cancer surgery).
- 2009 Professor of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- Fritz Linder Award.
- Ilse Krause Award.
- Editorial Consultant of the European Journal of Pediatric Surgery.
Photo: (c) depositphotos
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.