University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolic Disorders (292214)
Specialized in: endocrinology, diabetes and metabolic disorders
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolic Disorders at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden is included in the ranking of the top German departments specializing in diabetes mellitus treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of hormonal diseases and metabolic disorders. The specialists of the department have special competence in the treatment of thyroid diseases, diabetes mellitus and osteoporosis. In addition, the department’s tasks include the treatment of pituitary, adrenal gland pathologies, calcium metabolism disorders and sexual dysfunction. To provide first-class medical care, the department has excellent diagnostic capabilities, as well as practices effective classical and advanced treatments. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Lorenz Hofbauer.
The department’s service range includes:
- Diagnostic services
- All laboratory tests (for example, hormone levels testing, functional examinations, bone tissue metabolism and tumor marker testing)
- X-ray examinations
- Computed tomography
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Osteodensitometry (DEXA) – method of bone mineral density measurement
- Diagnostics and treatment of metabolic disorders (including calcium metabolism disorders)
- Diagnostics and treatment of thyroid diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of pituitary diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of adrenal gland diseases
- Prevention, diagnostics and treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes
- Pump insulin therapy
- Subcutaneous insulin infusion
- Installation of an implantable insulin pump (DiaPort)
- Use of sensory systems for blood glucose measurement
- Islet cell transplantation (as part of the special program Inselzelltransplantationsprogramm Dresden)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetic foot
- Modern therapeutic techniques
- Blood circulation improvement and treatment of infections using an apheresis procedure
- Use of synthetic and biotechnological coatings for the wound surface
- Diagnostics and treatment of osteoporosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of growth disorders
- Diagnosis and treatment of obesity due to hormonal disorders
- Medical care for infertility (due to endocrine disorders)
- Diagnostics and treatment of excessive body hair growth in women (hirsutism)
- Other medical services
- 1988 - 1994 Study of Human Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich; Traineeships in Nice (France) und Nagoya (Japan); Practical year: Mayo Clinic, Rochester; Bellevue Hospital – New York University, New York; Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston; Yale – New Haven Hospital, New Haven (USA).
- 1990 - 1994 Study scholarship of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation.
- 28.10.1994 Third medical state examination, Munich, limited license to practice medicine.
- 1995 Dr. med. Subject: "Regulation der insulin-like growth factor-1-mRNA-expression in intact porcine thyroid follicles by thyrotropin and iodide").
Postgraduate Training and Medical Career
- 1995 - 1996 Medical training, Medical Clinic, Innenstadt Hospital of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, full approbation.
- 1996 - 1999 Fellowship at the Division of Endocrinology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, USA.
- 1999 - 2003 Research associate, Department of Gastroenterology and Endocrinology, Philipps University of Marburg.
- 2002 Habilitation in Internal Medicine. Thesis subject: "RANK ligand and osteoprotegerin as paracrine mediators of bone metabolism: Cell biological, molecular biological and clinical epidemiological investigations").
- 2003 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 2004 Fellowship "Endocrinology"; Acknowledgement as "Diabetologist DDG" by the German Diabetes Society; Functional Senior Physician, Center for Internal Medicine.
- 2004 - 2006 Postgraduate course "Health Care Management" at the Institute of Economic Sciences of the University of Marburg.
- 2004 - 2007 Scholarship holder of the German Research Foundation within the framework of the Heisenberg Program (HO 1875/3-1 and 3-2).
- 2005 Senior Physician, Center for Internal Medicine, Philipps University of Marburg; Acknowledgement as "Osteologist DVO" by the Umbrella Association Osteology; Additional qualification "Sports Medicine"; Technical Knowledge in Radiation Protection.
- 2006 Invitation to the position of C3/W2 Professor for Internal Medicine (Molecular Endocrinology and Osteology), Justus Liebig University Giessen (refused).
- Since 01.05.2007, C3/W2 Professor for Internal Medicine (Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders), Technical University Dresden.
- Since 1999, Examination course or practical exercises (internship) in Internal Medicine (for students of Human Medicine, Dentistry, Human Biology and Intensive Care Occupations, Propaedeutics for pre-clinic).
- 1998 Julius Wolff Prize of the Board of Trustees for Bone Health.
- 1999 John Haddad Young Investigator's Award of the American Society of Bone and Mineral Research.
- 1999 Merck Senior Fellows Award der Endocrine Society.
- 2000 Edward C. Kendall Alumni Science Award for Meritorious Basic Research der Mayo Clinic.
- 2000 Von Recklinghausen Prize of the German Society of Endocrinology.
- 2000 Karl Schöffling Research Award of the Rhein-Main Working Group on Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolism.
- 2001 Research Award of the German Society of Osteology.
- 2001 BykTosse Research Award for Osteology.
- 2003 Publication Award of the German Academy of Osteological and Rheumatological Sciences (together with Dr. V. Viereck, University of Göttingen).
Memberships in Professional Societies
- American Society of Bone and Mineral Research.
- Publication Prize of the German Academy of Osteological and Rheumatological Sciences.
- German Diabetes Society.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society of Endocrinology (DGE).
- Endocrine Society.
- Mayo Medical Alumni Association.
- Section Calcium Regulatory Hormones and Bone Metabolism of the DGE.
- Association for the Promotion of Clinical and Experimental Molecular Endocrinology.
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Metabolic Disorders.
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home