University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Department of Interventional Radiology (458750)
Specialized in: interventional radiology
About the Department of Interventional Radiology at University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
The Department of Interventional Radiology at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden provides the full range of modern imaging examinations and therapeutic image-guided interventional procedures. The department has state-of-the-art equipment: ultrasound systems, classical X-ray systems, devices for angiography, mammography, CT, MRI, PET-CT, PET-MRI, etc. The advanced equipment serves not only for diagnostics, but also for preoperative planning and other types of therapy. The department specializes in minimally invasive image-guided procedures for the targeted treatment of tumors and vascular diseases, as well as for pain management. The department received the prestigious certificate of the German Society for Interventional Radiology and Minimally Invasive Therapy (DeGIR) for the outstanding quality of interventional treatment. It is very important for the department's doctors to provide each patient with individual medical care with a focus on a humane attitude and understanding of his needs. The Head Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Ralf-Thorsten Hoffmann.
The diagnostic options of the medical facility include computed tomography (used to diagnose tumors or their metastases, assess the progression of malignant diseases, search for foci of infectious diseases, study the severity of injuries in accidents, diagnose acute stroke or acute cerebral hemorrhage; CT-guided biopsy and interventional pain management are also carried out), magnetic resonance imaging (performed for imaging diagnostics of the internal organs, tissues and joints), conventional X-ray (used for imaging diagnostics of almost all areas of the human body), angiography and phlebography (these tests are an invasive method for examining blood vessels by introducing contrast medium through a catheter; CT angiography, MRI angiography and digital subtraction angiography are also available), as well as mammography for the diagnostics of breast diseases. It should be noted that the department has an advanced picture archiving and communication system, which provides doctors with instant access to all medical reports and images. External examinations, the results of which are recorded on CD or DVD discs, can be easily imported into the database. This makes it possible to further compare the current and previously performed images in dynamics.
The department's options in image-guided therapeutic interventional procedures are also quite extensive. The department's specialists successfully perform facet joint block and periradicular therapy to relieve back pain, radiofrequency ablation and thermal ablation to destroy tumors, vertebroplasty to treat vertebral compression fractures, uterine fibroid embolization, transarterial chemoembolization and selective internal radiation therapy for liver cancer and metastasis. A special place in the department's clinical practice is given to the interventional treatment of vascular pathologies: doctors specialize in balloon dilation, vascular stent implantation, thrombolysis, embolization and other procedures. All interventions are planned and performed in collaboration with experienced vascular surgeons. When performing any therapeutic manipulation, the specialists strictly adhere to clinical protocols and take care of the maximum safety of medical manipulations.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostic options
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Conventional X-ray
- Angiography and phlebography
- Therapeutic options
- Facet joint block (treatment of pain due to degeneration of the small joints of the spine or iliac joints) and periradicular therapy (treatment method for back pain caused by nerve root lesion)
- Biopsy and drainage
- Radiofrequency ablation (for liver tumors and liver metastases, as well as for tumors of the lungs, kidneys, osteoid osteomas, benign bone tumors, etc.)
- Vertebroplasty (reconstruction of the vertebral bodies using special cement)
- Vascular interventions (interventional treatment of vascular diseases, vascular embolization in case of bleeding and tumors)
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Transarterial chemoembolization for liver cancer
- Selective internal radiation therapy (used for the treatment of liver tumors, such as liver cancer and liver metastases, for which surgery or chemotherapy is contraindicated)
- EndoAVF treatment method for arteriovenous fistulas
- Other types of diagnostics and treatment
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Ralf-Thorsten Hoffmann
University Education and Professional Career
- 11.1992 - 04.1999 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 04.1999 Final examination (3rd part).
- 08.1999 - 01.2001 Residency, Department of Internal Medicine I, Landshut Hospital.
- 02.2001 - 09.2004 Residency, Institute of Clinical Radiology at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 10.2004 - 11.2006 Acting Head of the Department and Head of the Section for Interventional Radiology and Angiography, Institute of Clinical Radiology at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 11.2006 Board certification in Radiology.
- 11.2006 - 12.2010 Senior Physician and Head of the Section for Interventional Radiology and Angiography, Institute for Clinical Radiology at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 01.2011 Leading Senior Physician in the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 11.2011 Distance learning for Master of Business Administration, "Healthcare Management", Dresden International University.
- 11.2011 Certified Lecturer of all modules of interventional radiology (certification of the German Society for Interventional Radiology).
- 12.2011 Offer of the position of W2 Professor, Interventional Radiology, Dresden University of Technology.
- 05.2013 Auditor of the German Radiological Society (DRG) for the certification of Vascular Surgery Centers.
- 04.2014 Master of Business Administration in Healthcare.
- 09.2015 Certified by the European Board of Interventional Radiology (EBIR).
- 05.2016 Elected Member of the Steering Committee of the German Society for Interventional Radiology (DeGIR).
- Since 04.2018 Head Physician of the Department of Interventional Radiology at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- 12.1996 - 02.1998 Thesis. Subject: "UV-induced skin inflammation and hyperalgesia", Institute of Physiology at the University of Erlangen.
- 01.2003 - 06.2010 Habilitation. Subject: "The clinical significance of radiofrequency ablation as a minimally invasive technique for the treatment of liver tumors, as well as its use in the treatment of extrahepatic tumors and in combination with other minimally invasive treatment methods", Institute of Clinical Radiology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 12.2011 Invitation to the position of W2 Professor, Interventional Radiology, Dresden University of Technology.
- 12.2016 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor, Interventional Radiology, Dresden University of Technology.
- More than 100 works in Medline journals.
- More than 65 original works in the field of peer review.
- More than 30 case reports and review articles.
- More than 150 English-language scientific reports at international congresses.
- More than 50 German-language reports at congresses in Germany.
- More than 150 reports at national and international congresses (by invitation).
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (CIRSE).
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).
- European Society of Radiology (ESR).
- European Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology (ESGAR).
- German Radiological Society (DRG).
- German Society for Interventional Radiology (DeGIR).
- Bavarian Radiological Society.
- Radiological Society of Saxony.
Review Activities in Medical Journals
- European Radiology.
- European Journal of Radiology.
- Cardiovascular and interventional Radiology.
- European Urology.
- Fortschritte auf dem Gebiet der Röntgenstrahlen (RöFo).
- PeerEmed (since 2010).
- Participation in the consensus conference "Uterine fibroid embolization".
- Collaboration in the Project Group "Software" of the German Society for Interventional Radiology (DeGIR).
- Lecturer, Radiofrequency Ablation, European School of Interventional Radiology (ESIR).
- Collaboration in the development of S3 Guidelines for "Diagnostics and Treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma".
- 2004 ESGAR Member "Top 50 Speakers of the Year".
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Interventional Radiology.
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.