Hematuria Diagnosis (program ID: 296619)
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Christian HugoSpecialized in: nephrology
Department of Nephrology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical blood test
- inflammation markers (CRP, ESR)
- blood coagulation analysis (aPTT, PT, INR)
- tumor markers
- ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvic organs
- cystoscopy (with biopsy if indicated clinically, additional cost is 2500€)
- nursing services
- services of all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases. A special focus is on the treatment of inflammatory (glomerulonephritis) and vascular (vasculitis) kidney diseases, arterial hypertension, etc. The specialists of the department have at their disposal all kinds of the modern renal replacement therapy (dialysis). In addition, the department specializes in care for patients with the terminal stage of renal insufficiency before and after kidney transplantation. The department is led by Prof. Dr. med. Christian Hugo.
The department offers both inpatient and outpatient medical services. The specialists of the department pay proper attention to a comprehensive counselling of patients, especially when kidney transplantation is required. The renal replacement therapy is carried out within the specialized KfH Kidney Center, which was established in the department in 1969, and therefore has long traditions and a huge experience in its area of specialization.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of polycystic kidney disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of glomerulonephritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of vasculitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney failure
- Preparation and follow-up care after kidney transplantation
- Renal replacement therapy (dialysis)
- Home-based hemodialysis (including patient’s training)
- Centralized home dialysis
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis
- Continuous cyclic peritoneal dialysis
- Intermittent peritoneal dialysis
- Assisted peritoneal dialysis
- Home-based peritoneal dialysis training
- Dialysis for the patients with infectious diseases (for example, HIV, hepatitis C, etc.)
- Kidney biopsy
- Other medical services
In 1982, Prof. Dr. med. Christian Hugo started his studies of Physics. In 1983, he changed to the Medical Faculty of the Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg, where he studied Human Medicine until 1989. From 1989 to 1991, the physician worked at the University Hospital Würzburg. Then, he received his license to practice medicine (on 19 February 1991) and obtained his doctorate with a dissertation on subject: "Effect of aldosterone administration on the concentration of atrial natriuretic factor (ANF) in defined brain areas: experimental study in intact and adrenalectomized rats".
From 1991 to 1993, Prof. Dr. med. Christian Hugo worked in the Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Erlangen, and from 1993 to 1995 participated in a research program funded by the German Research Foundation. From 1995 to 1996, the physician conducted research (postdoctoral fellowship) in the Department of Pathologies and Nephrology at the National Kidney Foundation of the Washington University. In 1999, the physician obtained his habilitation (postdoctoral lecturing qualification) with a dissertation on subject: "The importance of thrombospondin-1 in the pathogenesis of inflammatory renal disease", Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
From 1996 to 2011, Prof. Dr. med. Christian Hugo worked in the Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Erlangen. He obtained the qualification as a Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine in 1998, and in Nephrology in 2001. From 2001 to 2009 he worked as the Head Physician of the Department of Nephrology and the Head of the Kidney Transplantation Program at the University Hospital Erlangen. In April 2007, he was appointed as an Adjunct Professor in Nephrology and Hypertensiology. In 2009, Prof. Dr. med. Christian Hugo was appointed as a (W2) Professor in Nephrology in the Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden. Since 2014, the physician is the Secretary General of the German Transplant Society.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Since 1991, German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Since 1996, German Society for Nephrology.
- Since 2003, European Society of Nephrology.
- Since 2004, Co-editor of the journal "Nephron Experimental Nephrology".
- Since 2008, German Transplant Society.
- 1991 Science Award of the Franconian Society of Science.
- 1996 Poster Award of the National Kidney Foundation.
- 1997 Poster Prize of the German Society of Nephrology.
- 1998 Poster Award of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- 2006 Poster Prize of the German Society of Nephrology.