Diagnosis and conservative treatment of chronic obstructive bronchitis (program ID: 107049)
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Norbert SuttorpSpecialized in: pulmonology
Department of Pulmonology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- blood gas analysis
- chest x-ray examination
- measurement of arterial blood pressure
- electrocardiogram (ECG)
- echocardiography (ECHO)
- high-resolution computed tomography (HR-CT)
- collected three sputum samples
- pulmonary function test
- bronchoscopy with biopsy
- histological and microbiological examination
- bronchial lavage
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Pulmonology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin offers the full range of accurate diagnostics and effective treatment of acute and chronic lung diseases, including infectious pulmonary lesions, on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The department's doctors have advanced equipment, conventional and innovative diagnostic and treatment techniques. All this creates the conditions for the organization of first-class medical care focused on the results and the best possible benefit for the patient. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Norbert Suttorp.
The department's pulmonologists deals with the treatment of obstructive pulmonary diseases (for example, asthma or COPD), restrictive lung diseases (for example, pulmonary fibrosis), pulmonary vascular diseases (pulmonary hypertension), autoimmune diseases and lung cancer. The department demonstrates excellent results in the treatment of lung cancer, due to which it was marked by the quality certificate of the German Cancer Society.
In addition, the department has the Weaning Center (certified by the German Society of Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine). The experts in the field of invasive and non-invasive ventilation, as well as the doctors specializing in weaning work here. The competence also includes intensive care for serious infectious diseases, acute respiratory distress syndrome, extracorporeal procedures.
The department provides diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Lung diseases
- Bronchial asthma
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD)
- Interstitial lung diseases (including pulmonary fibrosis, sarcoidosis)
- Lung tumors
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Pleural effusion
- Artificial lung ventilation and intensive care in the following diseases and pathological conditions
- Acute pulmonary insufficiency
- Acute/chronic respiratory failure
- Lung transplantation (in collaboration with the German Heart Center Berlin)
- Other diseases
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- Diagnostic services
- Pulmonary function testing
- Respiratory muscle function test
- Blood gas analysis
- Provocative tests
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
- Preliminary diagnostics before endoscopic procedures in order to reduce lung volume in COPD and pulmonary emphysema
- Endobronchial ultrasound
- Histological examination
- Diagnostics of pulmonary hypertension
- Echocardiography (transthoracic and transesophageal)
- Right heart catheterization
- Preliminary diagnostics before lung transplantation
- Allergological tests
- Pleural puncture and biopsy
- Imaging examinations (in collaboration with the appropriate departments)
- Pulmonary function testing
- Therapeutic services
- Antibacterial therapy
- Respiratory therapy
- Weaning from mechanical ventilation
- Endoscopic treatment of pulmonary emphysema
- Immunotherapy and antibody therapy
- Inhalation therapy
- Preparation for lung transplantation and follow-up care
- Lung cancer therapy
- Other medical services
- Since 2016 Medical Director of the Center 12 (CC12) at the University Hospital Charite.
- Since 1999 Professor (C4), Department of Infectology and Head of the Department of Pulmonology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 1999 Additional qualifications in Internal Medicine, Infectology and Intensive Care for Internal Diseases.
- 1998 Additional qualifications in Infectology and Environmental Medicine.
- 1997 Qualification in Pulmonology.
- 1996 Advanced training in Intensive Care for Internal Diseases.
- 1993 - 1998 Professor (C3), German Foundation for the Development of Science.
- 1990 Habilitation.
- 1984 - 1998 Fellow (Physician/Senior Physician), Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Giessen.
- 1982 - 1984 Fellow of the Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry, Giessen University.
- 1980 - 1982 Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, USA.
- 1979 PhD defense.
- 1972 - 1979 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Muenster and Giessen.
Memberships in the Scientific Societies and Committees
- Since 2016 Member of the Committee of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Since 2014 Co-Chairman of the BMBF CAPSyS Association (systemic medicine and pneumonia).
- Since 2013 Member of the "Evaluierung" Senate Committee of the Association of Leibniz.
- 2012 - 2016 Member of the Professional Board "Diseases of the Cardiovascular System and Lungs" of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- Since 2008 Member of the Commission on Drugs, German Medical Association.
- 2002 - 2010 Representative of the network of BMBF CAPNETZ Competence Centers (Pulmonology).
- Since 2007 Representative of the BMBF PROGRESS network (susceptibility factors in pneumonia and sepsis).
- Since 2006 Board Member of the German Society of Infectology (DGI).
- 2004 - 2008 Member of the Professional Board "Inflammation" of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- Since 2005 Reviewer of the DFG/BMBF program "Clinical Trials".
- Since 2005 Board Member of the German Society of Infectology.
- Since 2003 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the German Medical Association.
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- Since 2000 Member of the Academy of Naturalists "Leopoldina".
- Since 1999 Member of the Academy of Charitable Sciences in Erfurt.
- 1991 Award of the University of Giessen for the Best Doctoral Thesis.
- 1990 Frey Award of the German Society for Intensive Care.
- 1980 - 1982 Scholarship of DAAD and Francis North Foundation, USA.
- 1972 - 1979 Scholarship of the Student Foundation of the German People (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Diagnosis and conservative treatment of chronic obstructive bronchitis
- Hospital: Charite University Hospital Berlin
- access_time Duration:
There are 73 chronic obstructive bronchitis treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics