Diagnosis and conservative treatment of vertigo (program ID: 108227)
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Matthias EndresSpecialized in: neurology
Department of Neurology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- history taking
- general clinical examination
- otorhinolaryngological examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- indicators of inflammation
- indicators blood coagulation
- dix-hallpike positional test
- brain and cervical spine CT/ MRI
- ent, neurological and vascular examination
- ECG and heart ultrasound
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease!
The department offers the full range of diagnostic options and conservative treatments for diseases of the nervous system. The department has 170 beds for patient hospitalization. An important structural section of the department is a specialized Intensive Care Unit (in interdisciplinary collaboration with the Departments of Neurosurgery and Anesthesiology with a focus on intensive surgical care). The department annually treats and diagnoses more than 8,000 inpatients and about 20,000 outpatients. Such indicators show high quality of medical service and tremendous trust of patients. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Matthias Endres.
The priority fields of clinical practice include the diagnostics and treatment of stroke and neurovascular pathologies, neuroimmunological disorders, multiple sclerosis, motor disorders (for example, Parkinson's disease, essential tremor), neuropathies and muscular diseases, epilepsy, convulsions, headaches, facial pain syndromes. Thanks to active research activities and exceptional qualifications of the medical personnel, the department also treats rare and extremely complex pathologies, for example, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, myasthenia, encephalitis, etc.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
- Functional diagnostics of the peripheral nervous system (electroneurography, electromyography, multimodal evoked potentials)
- Motor and sensory neurography using F-waves
- Needle electromyography with quantitative analysis of evoked potentials
- Examinations of neuromuscular connections (synapses)
- Single-fiber electromyography
- Reflex testing, including brainstem reflexes
- Examination of the functionality of small nerve fibers, for example, sympathetic skin reaction
- Motor evoked potentials
- Visual and acoustic evoked potentials
- Somatosensory evoked potentials
- Classical electroencephalography
- Sleep-deprived EEG test
- EEG for the diagnostics of brain death
- Ultrasound diagnostics of the cervical and brain vessels
- Extra- and intracranial duplex ultrasonography of arteries and veins
- Extra- and intracranial Doppler ultrasonography
- Brain perfusion, measurement of cerebral circulation time
- Transcranial B-mode sonography
- Neuropsychological examinations for the diagnostics of cognitive disorders
- Magnetic resonance imaging for patients with acute or chronic stroke
- Other diagnostic examinations
The service range of the department covers the diagnostics and treatment of the following neurological diseases:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Different types of ataxia
- Movement disorders
- Parkinson's disease
- Atypical parkinsonian syndromes (multisystem atrophy, NCV, CBD)
- Rare motor disorders (caused by metabolic disorders or genetically determined)
- Differential diagnostics of movement disorders, including rare ones
- High-quality additional diagnostics (including MRI, PET, SPECT, CSF testing, skin biopsy, tremor and movement analysis, neuropsychology, genetic diagnostics, examinations within a Sleep Laboratory)
- Escalation therapy in Parkinson's disease with indications for deep brain stimulation, drug therapy using Duodopa and apomorphine therapy
- Follow-up care after deep brain stimulation and therapy using special pumps
- Comprehensive drug therapy in Parkinson's disease
- Outpatient botulinum toxin therapy in dystonia and spasticity
- Constant monitoring of patient and therapy progress
- Participation in multicenter researches in pharmacotherapy and deep brain stimulation
- Dementias and cognitive disorders
- Encephalitis and paraneoplasias (for example, anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, limbic encephalitis, paraneoplastic brain inflammation, Morvan's syndrome, etc.)
- Epilepsy and other convulsive syndromes
- Chronic migraines
- Tension headaches
- Cluster headaches
- Multiple sclerosis and chronic central nervous system inflammatory diseases
- Myasthenia gravis (diagnostics and treatment within a specialized center)
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
- Multifocal motor neuropathy
- Polyneuropathies of the rheumatic type (for example, polyneuropathies associated with systemic lupus erythematosus) or due to chronic inflammatory bowel diseases
- Polyneuropathy in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance
- Guillain-Barré syndrome
- Muscular diseases
- Small fiber neuropathy
- Neuro-AIDS and HIV neurological disorders
- HIV-associated neurocognitive deficit: forgetfulness, difficulty concentrating and impaired fine motor skills
- HIV-associated neuropathy: sensory processing disorders, pin sensations and pain, usually starting in the toes and feet and gradually increasing over several weeks
- HIV-associated vacuolar myelopathy: sensory processing disorders and leg paralysis, bladder dysfunction and rectal diseases
- HIV-associated myopathy: muscle aches, muscle weakness and loss of muscle mass
- Neurological complications of antiretroviral therapy: emotional disorders, forgetfulness, difficulty concentrating, muscle aches and muscle weakness
- Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Sleep disorders in neurological genesis
- Sleep problems (for example, sleepwalking)
- Parasomnia, sleep-related seizures and other movement disorders during sleep
- Narcolepsy with and without cataplexy and other disorders associated with increased daytime sleepiness
- Restless legs syndrome
- Sleep wake rhythm disorders
- Differential diagnostics of primary sleep disorders and primary mental disorders caused by sleep disorders
- Neurological disorders caused by cancers and their therapy
- Neurovascular disorders
- Ischemic stroke
- Hemorrhagic stroke
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Cerebral venous thrombosis
- Intracranial aneurysm
- Inflammatory cerebrovascular diseases (vasculitis)
- Urgent diagnostics using MRI, CT, ultrasound, electrophysiological examination
- "Multimodal monitoring", i.e. continuous recording of blood pressure, ECG, pulse oximetry, respiratory rate, body temperature
- Intravenous and intra-arterial thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke
- Acute cardiological diagnostics and therapy, including echocardiography in collaboration with the Department of Cardiology
- Emergency treatment of vascular stenosis (in collaboration with the Department of Vascular Surgery (сarotid artery surgery) and interventional radiology (stent implantation))
- Treatment of intracranial hypertension
- Botulinum toxin spasticity therapy
- Immunosuppressive therapy
- Diagnostics and therapy of strokes, specific brain disorders (neuropsychology)
- Early rehabilitation (physiotherapy, speech therapy, ergotherapy and dysphagia treatment)
- Other diseases of the nervous system, other medical services
Education and Professional Сareer
- Since 2009 Medical Director of the Charité Center 15 for Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Since 2008 Head of the Department of Neurology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Since 2008 W3 Professor, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2005 - 2008 Lichtenberg Professorship, Interdisciplinary Stroke Research, Volkswagen Foundation, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2004 - 2007 Senior Physician, Department of Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2003 - 2005 Heisenberg Scholarship, German Research Foundation.
- 2001 Habilitation, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 1998 - 2004 Head of the Research Group on Cerebral Ischemia, Department of Experimental Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 1998 - 2003 Research Fellow, Department of Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 1996 - 1998 Research Fellow, Neurology Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston.
- 1994 - 1996 Assistant Physician, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Lübeck.
- 1995 Doctoral thesis defense, University of Hamburg.
- 1988 - 1994 Study of Human Medicine, Ruhr University in Bochum and University of Hamburg.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Organizations
- Since 2015 Emergency Board Member of the German Stroke Society.
- 2009 - 2015 Board Member of the German Stroke Society.
- Since 2008 Board Member, Center for Stroke Research, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2005 - 2009, 2013 - 2017 Board Member of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism (ISCBFM).
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- Since 2016 Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2008 Heinrich Pette Prize, German Society of Neurology.
- 2002 Paul Martini Prize.
- 2000 Adolf Wallenberg Prize, German Society of Neurology.
- 1999 Nils Lassen Prize, International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism.
- 1999 Scientific Prize of the German Stroke Foundation.
- 1998 Oskar Lapp Research Prize, German Cardiac Society.
- Vascular mechanisms of stroke protection
- Risk factors and prevention, degeneration and regeneration, as well as depression after a stroke.
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Diagnosis and conservative treatment of vertigo
- Hospital: Charite University Hospital Berlin
- access_time Duration:
There are 59 vertigo treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics