Total shoulder joint replacement for shoulder arthritis (program ID: 379269)
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Carsten PerkaSpecialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedics, traumatology
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- review of medical records
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- indicators of inflammation (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- x-ray examination of the shoulder
- CT/MRI scan of the shoulder
- preoperative care
- design of the patient-specific implant using 3 d system
- computer-assisted shoulder joint replacement
- the cost of the implant included
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- physiotherapeutic procedures
- orthopedic appliances
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
- Medical records
- X-ray examination, MRI/CT scan (if available)
You may also book
About the department
155 Booking Health patients have already received treatment in the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
99% of patients recommend this hospital and department.
You can read reviews about the quality of the Booking Health service here.
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin ranks among the top German medical facilities in the field of its specialization!
It offers the full range of conservative and surgical treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The department's priorities include knee and hip surgery, including endoprosthetics, spinal surgery, shoulder and elbow surgery, surgical oncology of the musculoskeletal system and the treatment of injuries of varying severity. With an annual number of more than 8,000 inpatients, the department has the status of one of the largest and most reputable in the field of its competence. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Carsten Perka.
The department provides first-class medical services based on tremendous experience and rich traditions. The productive research activities of the department's orthopedists and traumatologists allows for the introduction of all the innovations of modern medicine into clinical practice. The department is certified as the interregional Trauma Center in the district of Berlin and Brandenburg, so the medical team works around the clock and it is ready to provide emergency and effective medical care for injuries of varying complexity.
Special attention should be paid to the excellent infrastructure of the department, in particular, 8 state-of-the-art operating rooms. The department's surgeons annually perform more than 8,500 surgical interventions, which is an indisputable proof of the outstanding quality of treatment and invaluable experience in the treatment of musculoskeletal diseases.
The department's physicians also have exceptional qualifications in the treatment of orthopedic diseases and injuries in children, including their consequences in adulthood. In the case of such pathologies, the doctors set themselves the goal of not only curing the young patient from the diseases, but also ensuring the proper development of the growing organism. The doctors of the department mostly have to deal in their clinical practice with such pediatric orthopedic pathologies as hip dysplasia, slipped capital femoral epiphysis, Perthes disease, foot deformities, axial deformities of the lower limbs, leg length discrepancies, etc.
The service range of the department includes:
|Pelvic and hip surgery|
|Shoulder and elbow surgery|
|Foot and ankle surgery|
Traumatology (treatment of injuries of varying severity, including polytraumas)
Other medical services
University Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1985 - 1991 Study of Medicine, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- June 1991 Admission to medical practice.
- June 1994 Dr. med., Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Charite University Hospital Berlin (Prof. H. Zippel).
- October 2000 PD, Dr. med., Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Charite University Hospital Berlin (Prof. H. Zippel).
- September 2005 Professor in Orthopedics.
- 1991 - 1996 Professional training in Orthopedics, Charite University Hospital Berlin (Head: Prof. Dr. med. H. Zippel).
- October 1996 Examination in Orthopedics.
- December 1996 Consultant in Orthopedics, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- December 1996 - September 2003 Consultant in Orthopedics, Head of the Section of Endoprosthetics, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Since 1999 Organizer of national and international operational technical courses on hip and knee replacement surgery (three years).
- Since October 2003 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Since 2005 Extraordinary Professor for Orthopedics.
- 09.10.2006 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor (on a funded basis) for Endoprosthetics and Regenerative Medicine at the Charite University Hospital Berlin (for a period of 5 years).
- 2013 Presiding Invited Speaker of the American Hip Society, AAOS.
- Hip and knee arthroplasty, including revision interventions.
- Treatment of bone infectious diseases and prosthetic joint infections.
- Pelvic reconstructive surgery.
- Periacetabular, femoral and tibial corrective osteotomies.
- Foot surgery.
- Author of over 400 publications in international publications.
- Editor and author of over 50 books and book chapters.
- German Society of Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery (DGOOC).
- German Society of Traumatology (DGU).
- Orthopedic Association of Northern Germany (NOV).
- American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS).
- Member of the International Hip Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin