University Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology (26215)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric dermatology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf offers the treatment of all dermatological diseases. The department specializes in the treatment of inflammatory and autoimmune skin diseases, such as eczema and psoriasis, treatment of skin cancer, especially melanoma, as well as the diagnostics and treatment of allergic diseases. Both classic and innovative treatment methods are available here, which guarantee an optimal therapeutic and aesthetic result. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Bernhard Homey.
To treat oncological skin diseases, the department performs more than 4,000 operations annually. In addition to surgery, the department also offers non-invasive treatment methods for skin cancer with the help of photodynamic therapy (the insertion of photosensitizer and light exposure) or topical immunomodulators.
Another focus of the department is the treatment of age-related skin changes. For this purpose, it offers various methods of laser therapy, chemical peels, injections of botulinum toxin type A, etc.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Skin cancer (malignant melanoma)
- Autoimmune skin diseases
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Wound healing disorders
- Venous diseases
- Increased sweating (hyperhidrosis)
- Viral diseases (for example, warts)
- Rectal diseases (proctology) affecting the skin
- Conditions after organ transplantation
- Occupational skin lesions
- Pediatric skin diseases (in collaboration with the Department of Pediatrics)
- Other diseases
Therapeutic options of the department:
- Drug therapy
- Extracorporeal photopheresis
- Laser procedures
- Light therapy
- Photodynamic therapy
- Aesthetic dermatology
- Other treatment methods
- 1988 - 1995 Medical School, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf.
- 1992 Clinical and scientific clerkship, Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, USA.
- 1992 - 1998 Doctoral degree (Magna cum laude), Department of Dermatology, Heinrich Heine, Duesseldorf. Subject: "Analysis of molecular and cellular mechanism during allergic and irritant responses in the skin immune system".
- 10/2003 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Dermatology.
- 1995 - 1998 Resident, Department of Dermatology, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf.
- 1998 - 2001 Visiting Scientist, Department of Immunology, DNAX Research Institute, Palo Alto, USA.
- 2001 Resident, Department of Dermatology, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf; Head of the Research Laboratory for Dermato-Immunology and Oncology.
- 2003 Specialist in Dermatology and Venereal Diseases.
- 2004 Senior Consultant, Head of the Section of Allergy, Department of Dermatology, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 2004 Professor in Dermatology, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 2010 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
Awards and Honors
- 2000 Paul Martini Award.
- 2002 Research Award of the German-Hungarian Society for Dermatology.
- 2002 European Society for Dermatological Research (ESDR), Galderma Poster Award.
- 2002 Reinhard und Emmy Heynen Award.
- 2002 Günther von Wille Award.
- 2003 Bench-to-Bedside Meeting (Poster Award).
- 2003 Oskar Gans Award.
- 2003 Fujisawa Atopic Dermatitis Award.
- 2004 First International Conference on Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus: 1st Prize, Poster Award.
- 2005 Atopic Dermatitis Award, Proderma Foundation.
Reviewer for Funding Organizations
- German Research Foundation (DFG).
- German Cancer Aid (Deutsche Krebshilfe).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology.
University Hospital Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.