University Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology (26219)
Specialized in: endocrinology, diabetology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in diabetes mellitus treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the endocrine glands, diabetes mellitus and metabolic disorders. The treatment is carried out both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The department's medical team makes every effort to provide each patient with an individual, effective treatment, which meets international standards. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Michael Roden.
The department is the certified Diabetes Center (German Society of Diabetology), which holds leading positions in Germany and regularly demonstrates the excellent treatment results in this pathology. In addition to the qualified medical care for the patients with diabetes mellitus, the doctors provide comprehensive consultations and special courses on lifestyle modification in order to maintain a stable, satisfactory condition of the patient and to prevent the progression of the disease.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- General endocrinology
- Diagnostics and treatment of pituitary gland diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the thyroid and parathyroid glands
- Diagnostics and treatment of adrenal gland diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the ovaries and testicles, including fertility problems
- Diagnostics and treatment of calcium metabolism disorders and bone tissue pathology
- Special endocrinology
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune pathologies
- Diagnostics and treatment of thyroid nodules
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine gland cancers
- Insulin pump therapy
- Treatment of diabetes mellitus complications
- Treatment of gestational diabetes mellitus
- Treatment of diabetic foot syndrome
- Metabolic disorders
- Lipid metabolism disorders
- Consultation on rare metabolic diseases
- Other diseases and treatment methods
Education and Postdoctoral Training
- 1986 Doctor of Medicine, University of Vienna, Austria.
- 1986 - 1988 Research Fellow, Pharmacology Institute, University of Vienna.
- 1988 - 1993 Fellow, Internal Medicine, University of Vienna.
- 1994 - 1995 Max-Kade Fellowship, Yale University, New Haven, CT.
Licensure and Certification
- 1994 Internal Medicine, Austria.
- 1997 Endocrinology and Metabolism, Austria.
- 2003 Clinical Pharmacology, Austria.
- 2008 Internal Medicine and Clinical Studies, Germany.
- 2010 Endocrinology and Diabetology, Germany.
- 1982 - 1984 Instructor in Anatomy, University of Vienna.
- 1987 - 1990 Lecturer, Pharmacological Institute, University of Vienna.
- 1989 - 1994 Assistant Lecturer, Department of Internal Medicine I/III, University of Vienna.
- 1994 Assistant Professor (Habilitation), University of Vienna.
- 1997 Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Vienna.
- 2000 - 2004 Board Member, Human Ethics Committee, University of Vienna.
- 2003 - 2008 Coordinator/Professor, Teaching Hospital, University of Vienna.
- 2005 Director, Karl-Landsteiner-Institute for Endocrinology and Metabolism, Vienna.
- 2008 Chair / Professor of Medicine, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf.
- 2008 Scientific Executive Officer, German Diabetes Center (DDZ).
- 1993 - 2003 Consultant, Department of Internal Medicine III, General Hospital Vienna.
- 2003 - 2008 Head, Department of Internal Medicine I, Hanusch Hospital, Vienna.
- 2008 Head of the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- Diabetes, insulin resistance, energy metabolism and mitochondrial function.
- Isotopic dilution techniques and application of 13C-31P-1H NMR spectroscopy.
- Nonalcoholic steatosis.
- Endocrine regulation (obesity, pheochromocytoma, hypoglycemia).
Awards and Honors
- 1992 Friedrich Wewalka Memorial Award, Austrian Society for Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- 1996 Joseph Skoda Research Award, Austrian Society of Internal Medicine.
- 2000 Ferdinand Bertram Award, German Diabetes Association.
- 2002 Sandoz/Novartis Award for Chemistry, Biology and Medicine.
- 2004 International Novartis Award for Innovative Patient Oriented Research.
- 2006 ESCI (formerly Mack-Foster) Award for Excellence in Clinical Sciences.
- 2006 Oskar-Minkowski Prize, European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).
- 2006 Honorary Professor for Clinical Endocrinology, Danube University Krems.
- 2010 University Professor by the Federal Ministry of Science and Research, Austria.
- 1997 - 2003 Assistant Editor, Diabetologia.
- 2002 - 2010 Associate Editor, European Journal of Clinical Investigation.
- 2004 - 2008 Associate Editor, Diabetic Medicine.
- 2004 Member of the Editorial Board, American Journal of Physiology, Endocrinology, Metabology.
- 2007 Member of the Editorial Board, Experimental Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetology.
- 2009 Member of the Editorial Board, Endocrinology.
- 2010 Associate Editor, Diabetologia.
Functions in Professional Societies
- 2001 - 2002 Vice President, European Society for Clinical Investigation.
- 2002 - 2005 Member of the Council, European Association for the Study of Diabetes.
- 2004 - 2005 President, Austrian Diabetes Association.
- 2004 - 2009 Board Member, Austrian Obesity Association.
- 2009 President of the Central European Diabetes Association.
- 2011 Honorary Treasurer, European Association for the Study of Diabetes.
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology.
University Hospital Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.