University Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology (26221)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, infectiology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the liver, pancreas and other organs of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, of particular interest is the treatment of cancer pathologies of the esophagus, stomach, intestines, pancreas, and liver. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dieter Häussinger.
The department is a supraregional center for the diagnostics, research and treatment of chronic liver diseases and their complications, as well as a certified Infectiology Center, within which all types of hepatitis, HIV, and tropical infectious diseases are treated.
Together with other departments, there was established the certified Center for Intestinal Diseases. The main advantages of the center include excellent diagnostic capabilities, for example, high-tech endoscopy, sonography (with contrast enhancement) and ultrasound-guided puncture. In addition, all the common methods of functional gastroenterological diagnostics (respiratory tests, PH-meter, esophageal and rectal manometry) are used here.
The department has 10 specialized outpatient clinics equipped with all modern diagnostic and therapeutic technologies. The highly specialized doctors with long clinical experience take care of patient's health here. Many examinations are performed using sonography and sparing endoscopic techniques, which help the patients to avoid complex operations.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic liver diseases and their complications
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory and functional diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Diagnostics and treatment of gastrointestinal and liver cancers
- Diagnostics and treatment of hepatitis and HIV
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital cholestatic liver diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital metabolic disorders
- Advice on vaccination during the travels (tropical medicine)
- Emergency medical care in tropical diseases
- High-tech endoscopy, sonography and functional diagnostics
- Other medical services
Scientific and Professional Career
- Since 2011, Head of the Center for Hepatology and Infectiology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- Since 2010, Director of the Hirsch Institute of Tropical Medicine, Adama Science and Technology University, Ethiopia.
- 2005 - 2008 Managing Director of the Center for Internal Medicine and Neurology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 2005 Additional qualifications in Infectiology, as well as the appointment as an Examiner at the Medical Association of North Rhine.
- Since 1994, Professor of Internal Medicine and Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectiology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 1991 - 1994 Professor of the Hermann and Lilly Schilling Foundation.
- 1989 Invitation to the Department of Physiological Chemistry, University of Muenster.
- 1988 Appointment as an Extraordinary Professor at the University of Freiburg.
- 1986 - 1989 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine/Gastroenterology.
- 1984 Habilitation, Internal Medicine
- 1977 Admission to medical practice.
- 1976 - 1977 Clinical activities at the Regional Hospital Nördlingen.
- 1977 - 1978 Lieutenant Colonel of the Navy Medical Service, 1st Submarine Squadron in Kiel.
- 1979 - 1994 Clinical activities, Medical University of Freiburg.
- 1976 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 1970 - 1976 Study of Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Organizations
- 2015 - 2016 President of the German Association for the Study of the Liver (GASL).
- Since 2011, Presidium Member of the North-Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences, Humanities and Arts (since 2016 Vice President).
- Since 2011, Council Member of the Medical Faculty of the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- Since 2010, Senate Member of the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Scientific Community.
- Since 2010, Scientific Advisory Board Member of the Boehringer Ingelheim Foundation.
- Since 2009, Member of the Board of Trustees of the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physiology.
- 2007 - 2013 Member of the Senate Commission of the German Research Foundation for the Promotion of German-Israeli Projects.
- 2006 - 2007 Member of the Senate of the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 2000 - 2007 Member of the Medical Committee of the Scientific Council.
- 1998 - 2002 Dean of the Medical Faculty at the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf and Board Member of the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 1997 - 2000 Member of the Senate and Licensing Committee of the German Research Foundation for the Special Research Areas.
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- 2012 Cross of Merit, 1st class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- 2011 Yaku Okuda Medal for Excellence in Cell Volume Regulation Research.
- 2011 Medal of Honor of the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 2008 ISHEN Award Padua.
- Since 2004, Member of the North-Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences, Humanities and Arts.
- 2003 Medal of Merit of the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- Since 2002, Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2002 Dr. Robert Pfleger Research Award.
- 2001 Géza Héteni Medal.
- Since 2001, Honorary Member of the Hungarian Society of Gastroenterology.
- 1998 Kone Award of the Association for Clinical Biochemistry, Glasgow.
- 1995 Honorary Award of the Druidenorden.
- 1994 NUTRIM Prize.
- 1991 Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 1990 Medal of the Faculty of Medicine at Okayama University.
- 1989 Tannhauser Prize of the German Society for Gastroenterology, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases.
- 1984 Friedrich Wewalki Prize.
- 1985 - 1990 Heisenberg Scholarship, German Research Foundation.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology.
University Hospital Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.