University Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery (26229)
Specialized in: cardiovascular and thoracic surgery
The Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Dusseldorf provides the whole range of cardiovascular medicine at the university level. The Department has a long and successful history. Since 1938 more than 50,000 cadiac surgeries were performed here. The head of the Department is Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Artur Lichtenberg. The achievements includes the first open heart surgery with surface hypothermia, the first replacement of a heart valve and the first implantation of a pacemaker and a cardioverter defibrillator system in Germany.
The Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Dusseldorf also includes the Unit of Thoracic Surgery. Treatment focuses are on malignant diseases of the lungs, mediastinum (e.g. thymoma), pleura and chest wall as well as benign diseases such as pneumothorax and pleurisy. The range of surgical services covers diseases of the chest cavity organs and their adjacent areas. Lung surgery is an important part of thoracic surgery and covers all operations of lung tissues.
The objectives of the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Dusseldorf include operations on heart, adjacent vessels and lungs. All operations are available for both adults and children.
The range of surgical services of the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Dusseldorf includes:
- Modern coronary surgery on the beating heart (off-pump coronary artery bypass) with a total arterial revascularization involving “no touch” technique
- Innovative minimally invasive surgery of the heart valves (e.g. lateral minithoracotomy, Z-shaped sternotomy, transapical aortic valve replacement). When possible, the priority is to maintain patient’s own valve.
- Thoracic aortic surgery. Various cannulation techniques as well as selective cerebral perfusion are individually adapted
- Differentiated surgery for heart failure with the use of ventricular assist device and / or heart transplant at the terminal stage
- Surgery of lungs and mediastinum
- Surgical treatment of patients with the indications for cardiac stimulation (pacemakers and cardioverter defibrillators). Along with the installation and replacement of the stimulating devices, a special focus is on the revision
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Dusseldorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in cardiac surgery!
- Duesseldorf, Germany