University Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Nephrology (26237)
Specialized in: nephrology
About the Department of Nephrology at University Hospital Duesseldorf
The Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic kidney diseases, including systemic diseases with kidney lesion, as well as the preoperative and postoperative treatment of patients in the case of kidney transplantation. In addition, the department is the European Hypertension Center of Excellence, therefore, the doctors have unique expert knowledge to ensure effective treatment of primary, secondary and resistant to therapy arterial hypertension. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christian Rump.
One of the priorities of the department is the treatment of patients with autoimmune and non-autoimmune systemic diseases, such as vasculitides (immunological inflammation of small blood vessels) or amyloidosis (tissue dysfunction due to the deposition of proteins in them, in particular, involving the kidneys, heart and nervous system). In addition, the department offers a competent medical care for patients with kidney diseases in diabetes mellitus.
The therapeutic options of the department cover all extracorporeal procedures of renal replacement therapy, such as hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, special procedures of plasma exchange, immunoadsorption, etc.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic kidney diseases (for example, glomerulonephritis, diabetic or hypertensive kidney disease, bacterial inflammatory kidney diseases)
- Diagnostics and treatment of systemic autoimmune diseases with kidney lesion (for example, lupus nephritis, granulomatous vasculitis)
- Genetic kidney diseases (for example, familial cystic kidney, Fabry disease, Alport syndrome)
- Diagnostics and treatment of hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare kidney diseases
- Renal replacement therapy
- Preparation and postoperative care after kidney transplantation
- Kidney transplantation, including from living donors
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- B-mode ultrasound
- Duplex ultrasound (for example, to exclude renal artery stenosis)
- Duplex ultrasound (continuous-wave and pulse-wave mode)
- Sonography in continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis
- Contrast-enhanced sonography
- Sonography of the limb vessels
- Determination of carotid intima-media complex thickness
- Ultrasound-guided kidney biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided drainage installation (for example, in abscess, pleural effusion, ascites)
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Christian Rump
- 1978 - 1984 Study of Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg, Germany; Intern, Karlsruhe Municipal Hospital; doctoral thesis defense (Dr. med.), University of Freiburg; Admission to medical practice.
- 1993 Training for the Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 1996 Training for the Medical Specialist in Nephrology, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 1984 - 1985 Assistant Physician, Pathology, University of Cologne.
- 1985 - 1987 Research Fellow, Institute of Pharmacology, University of Melbourne (Australia).
- 1987 - 1993 Medical Specialist, Medical Specialist, University of Freiburg.
- 1994 PD and Senior Physician, Internal Medicine, University of Freiburg.
- 1995 Research Fellow in the Department of Pharmacology, University of California, San Diego, USA.
- 1996 - 2001 PD and Senior Physician, Internal Medicine, University of Freiburg.
- 2002 - 2007 C4 Professor in Internal Medicine and Head of the Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Marienhospital Herne, Ruhr University Bochum.
- 10/2007 W3 Professor, Head of the Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
Scholarships and Scientific Awards
- 1985 - 1987 Feodor Lynen Scholarship, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
- 1992 Nils Alwall Prize of the German Association of Clinical Nephrology.
- 1995 Research Scholarship of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
Other Activities and Qualifications
- 2003 Expert on the clinically significant hypertension of the European League in Arterial Hypertension.
- 2003 - 2007 Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Ruhr University Bochum.
- 2004 - 2010 Board Member of the German Society of Hypertension
- 2005 Medical Expert of the German Society of Hypertension.
- Since 1998, Reviewer of the German Research Foundation (DFG) for the Projects on Renal Function and Arterial Hypertension.
- 2010 - 2012 Head of the Working Group "Heart – Kidney" of the German Society Of Cardiology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf
Department of Nephrology.
University Hospital Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.