University Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Neurology (26239)
Specialized in: neurology
About the Department of Neurology at University Hospital Duesseldorf
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease!
The department offers the full range of services for the treatment and diagnostics of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and neuromuscular diseases. The department is among the leading medical institutions of this kind in Germany. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Peter Hartung.
The department has an ultramodern Stroke Unit to provide effective care for stroke patients. It is certified by the German Stroke Society and the German Stroke Foundation as a stroke unit of supraregional significance. In close cooperation with the Departments of Radiology, Vascular and Neurosurgery, Cardiology and Hemostaseology, the department guarantees the best diagnostics and treatment of strokes and pre-stroke conditions. In addition, there is an active cooperation with the specialized institutions, which specialize in neurorehabilitation for the restoration of lost or impaired functions of the nervous system.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
- Vascular diagnostics
- Extracranial doppler and duplex ultrasound
- Transcranial doppler and duplex ultrasound
- Electrophysiological examinations
- Registration of evoked potentials
- Diagnostics of the autonomic nervous system (for example, heart rate variability analysis)
- Diagnostics of the visual analyzer pathway
- Visual evoked potentials
- Multifocal visual evoked potentials
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT)
- Neuropsychological diagnostics (for example, dementia screening, examinations of memory, attention, mental abilities, etc.)
- Cerebrospinal fluid analysis
- Determination of neutralizing antibodies against interferon-beta
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Positron emission tomography (PET) and PET-CT
- Single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT)
- Other diagnostic methods
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of cerebrovascular diseases (for example, stroke, blood circulatory disorders (transient ischemic attacks, haemorrhage))
- Diagnostics and treatment of immune-mediated diseases of the brain and spinal cord (for example, multiple sclerosis, optic nerve myelitis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of immune-mediated diseases of the peripheral nervous system (for example, Guillain-Barré syndrome) and polyneuropathy
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuromuscular diseases (for example, myasthenia, polymyositis, dermatomyositis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of Parkinson's disease and other motor disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurological diseases in HIV infection
- Diagnostics and treatment of dementia
- Diagnostics and treatment of pain syndromes
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurological diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Peter Hartung
- 1973 - 1980 Undergraduate training at the Universities of Duesseldorf, Germany, Glasgow, Scotland, Oxford, London (National Hospital for Nervous Diseases Queen Square), England; Electives at Johns Hopkins University Medical School, Baltimore and Harvard Medical School, Boston.
- 1980 Graduation (Doctor of Medicine) and registration as a Physician in Duesseldorf, Germany.
- 1980 - 1982 Research Fellow in Immunology at the Institute for Medical Microbiology, University of Mainz, Germany.
- 1981 Doctoral thesis defense, Magna cum laude, University of Mainz, Germany.
- 1982 - 1987 Resident in Neurology and Research Fellow in Neuroimmunology, Department of Neurology, University of Duesseldorf, Germany.
- 1987 Board examination as a Neurologist, University of Duesseldorf, Germany.
- 1987 - 1988 Senior Consultant, Department of Neurology,
- University of Duesseldorf, Germany.
- 1989 Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology, University of Duesseldorf, Germany.
- 01/1990 Associate Professor, Department of Neurology,
- Head of Multiple Sclerosis Clinical Research Group, Julius Maximilians University of Würzburg, Germany.
- 07/1990 Professor and Vice Chairman, Department of Neurology, Julius Maximilians University of Würzburg, Germany.
- 10/1997 Professor and Chairman, Department of Neurology, Karl Franzens University of Graz, Austria.
- 11/2000 Offer to chair the Section of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Glasgow, UK.
- Since 12/2001, Professor and Chairman, Department of Neurology, Heinrich Heine University of Duesseldorf, Germany.
- Experimental and clinical neuroimmunology.
- Pathogenesis of and experimental therapies for multiple sclerosis, Guillain-Barre syndrome.
- Neuroimaging of demyelinating and ischemic diseases.
- Neuromuscular diseases.
- 1974 - 1980 Scholarship of the German National Scholarship Foundation.
- 1989 Hörlein Award, Society of Friends and Supporters of the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 1990 Langheinrich Award for Multiple Sclerosis Research, Free University of Berlin and Berlin Neurological Society.
- 1992 Myopathie Award, German Society for Muscular Diseases.
- 1996 Käthe Hammersen Prize of the German Society for Multiple Sclerosis.
Membership in Scientific Societies
- Corresponding Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology.
- American Association of Immunologists.
- Corresponding Member, American Neurological Association.
- Foreign Member of the Association of British Neurologists.
- Member of the Executive Committee of the European Neurological Society.
- European Neuroscience Association.
- German Neurological Society.
- German Neuroscience Society.
- Member of the Steering Committee, Inflammatory Neuropathy Consortium.
- International Society of Immunopharmacology.
- Member of the International Advisory Board, International Society for Neuroimmunology.
- Member of the Medical Advisory Board, Guillain-Barré Syndrome Foundation.
- Member of the Advisory Board, Peripheral Nerve Society.
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians, London, UK.
- Society for Immunology, Germany.
- Stroke Council Fellow, American Heart Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.