University Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Neurology (26239)
Specialized in: neurology
The Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Dusseldorf offers diagnosis and treatment of all diseases of the nervous system (brain, spinal cord, peripheral nervous system) and muscles with the use of the most advanced methods. These diseases include strokes, meningitis, herniated discs, epilepsy and multiple sclerosis as well as diseases associated with dementia, such as Parkinson’s or Alzheimer`s diseases. The head of the Department is Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Peter Hartung.
The Department has a special focus in the field of emergency diagnosis and treatment of stroke. The Stroke Unit certified by the German Stroke Society and the German Stroke Foundation as the Stroke Unit of supra-regional importance enables the best diagnosis and treatment of strokes and pre-stroke conditions. These services are provided in a close cooperation with the Departments of Radiology, Vascular and Neurosurgery, Cardiology and Hemostasiology.
Moreover, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Dusseldorf also specializes in the treatment of inflammatory and degenerative diseases of the brain, spinal cord, nervous system and muscles.
The Department under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Peter Hartung is an internationally recognized center for diagnosis and treatment of strokes, multiple sclerosis, Guillain-Barre syndrome, chronic polyneuritis, associated neuroimmunological diseases and Parkinson’s disease. According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Dusseldorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease!
The main treatment focuses of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Dusseldorf are:
- Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke, transient circulation disorders, the so-called transient ischemic attack, hemorrhage),
- Neuroimmunological diseases of the brain, spinal cord (e.g., multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica),
- Immune-mediated diseases of the peripheral nervous system (e.g. Guillain-Barre syndrome, CIDP) and polyneuropathy,
- Neuromuscular diseases (e.g. severe myasthenia, polymyositis, dermatomyositis, inclusion body myositis),
- Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders,
- Neurological diseases in case of HIV-infections
- Diagnosis and treatment of dementia and pain syndromes
- Duesseldorf, Germany