University Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Clinical Immunology (26245)
Specialized in: pediatric oncology, hematology, clinical immunology
About the Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Clinical Immunology at University Hospital Duesseldorf
The Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Clinical Immunology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the hematopoietic system, oncopathology, bleeding disorders and diseases of the immuno-rheumatic profile in children of all age groups. The department has all the possibilities of hardware and laboratory diagnostics, adapted to the characteristics of the child's body. The treatment is provided using both traditional and innovative experimental methods approved by the professional societies. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Arndt Borkhardt.
The department’s priority is allogeneic stem cell transplantation, including haploidentical transplantation, in which parents become stem cell donors for a sick child (a closely related transplantation). In addition, the department is engaged in active research activities aimed at the development of innovative approaches to post-transplant treatment, such as dendritic cell vaccination (dendritic vaccine).
Another important focus of the department is the diagnostics and treatment of bone marrow diseases, for example, impaired formation and function of platelets, acute or chronic anemias. The children with congenital or acquired hemocoagulation disorders receive medical care within the specialized outpatient clinic. In addition, the doctors of the department specialize in the treatment of children and adolescents with congenital immunodeficiencies, rheumatic and autoimmune inflammatory diseases. In addition, the doctors have a special experience in the treatment and care of children with HIV infection and AIDS.
A separate specialization of the department is the diagnostics and therapy of solid tumors, including recurrent pathologies. The treatment plan is developed individually, taking into account the specific clinical indications. For children with terminal diseases, the competent experts of the department offer high-quality palliative care. If possible, such help is provided at home.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Allogeneic and autologous stem cell transplantation for leukemia and solid tumors
- Immunotherapy with dendritic cell vaccination
- Treatment of solid tumors using regional deep hyperthermia
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired bone marrow diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of bleeding disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of HIV infection and AIDS, as well as diseases of the immune system in children and adolescents
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic and autoimmune inflammatory pathologies
- Palliative care
- Psychosocial care for young patients and their parents
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Arndt Borkhardt
Academic and Professional Career
- Since 2006, Professor of the Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Clinical Immunology, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf, as well as the Head of the department with the same name at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 2005 - 2006 C4 Professor and W3 Professor in Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and General Pediatrics at the Universities of Halle, Essen, Duesseldorf and Jena.
- 2003 C3 Professor, Head of the Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology at the Dr. von Hauner Children's Hospital at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1999 Habilitation in Pediatrics. Subject: "Molecular genetics of chromosomes;
- aberrations in hemoblastosis in children". He was appointed an Assistant Professor at the Center for Pediatrics at the Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1998 Senior Physician of the Center for Pediatrics at the Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1991 - 1998 Training for a Medical Specialist in Pediatrics, Center for Pediatrics at the Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1990 - 1991 Assistant Physician, Medical Academy of Magdeburg.
- 1990 Doctorate, Magdeburg Medical Academy.
- 1984 - 1990 Study of Medicine at the Magdeburg Medical Academy.
Positions in the Scientific Societies and Committees (selected)
- Since 2009, Board Member of the European Society of Hematology (European Hematological Association - EHA).
Awards and Honorary Memberships (selected)
- Since 2012, Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2005 Karus Medal (Leopoldina) and Karus Prize of Schweinfurt city.
- 2001 Award of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology.
- 1998 Adalbert Czerny Prize of the German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
Key Research Focuses
- Leukemogenesis, bone marrow failure in children, bone marrow transplantation.
- The role of gene rearrangement in the development of leukemia.
- Diagnostics of chromosomal aberrations in leukemia.
- Primary immunodeficiencies.
- The function of microRNA in the immune system and their role in malignancy.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Clinical Immunology.
University Hospital Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.