University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (251283)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology, head and neck surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the ear, nose and throat, as well as the surgical treatment of head and neck pathologies (certified by the German Cancer Society). The spectrum is complemented by high-quality services in the field of phoniatrics and pedaudiology. The department has 80 planned beds for the inpatient treatment, as well as 6 beds in the intensive care unit. The surgical interventions are performed in six progressive operating rooms equipped with the cutting-edge surgical instruments and computer technologies. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dr.h.c. Heinrich Iro.
The department includes specialized sections, for example, the Section for Ultrasound Diagnostics, Audiology, Vestibular Diagnostics, Neurophysiology, Allergology and Sleep Medicine. All these structural units have their specific area of competence and provide a detailed diagnostics of a particular problem.
The department’s important focus is ear microsurgery. The department annually performs a total of 700 middle ear surgical procedures, which are preceded by complex diagnostics. The clinical practice involves the use of sparing microsurgical techniques, namely operations using a microscope or a binocular loupe. Most of these operations are performed through the external auditory canal and leave no cosmetic consequences. The department also demonstrates excellent results in the field of hearing aid installation and cochlear implantation in adults and children. The surgeons have a perfect command of robot-assisted surgery techniques, which are widely used in the department.
The department’s medical team includes pediatric otolaryngologists who get along well with young patients and provide them with the best treatment. The experts in the field of pedaudiology conduct a thorough diagnostics of hearing in a child and, in case of any problems found, they prescribe an optimal therapy. The surgical capabilities range from removing adenoids and tonsils to correcting complex ear, nose and throat malformations, such as ear reshaping, removal of cysts/fistulas in the neck and ears. The department has unique experience in performing operations to treat choanal atresia, laryngeal and tracheal surgery.
The main department’s focuses include:
- Ear and temporal bone microsurgery
- Installation of implantable hearing aids
- Cochlear implantation in adults and children
- Diagnostics and treatment of salivary gland stones and inflammation
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of acoustic neuromas
- Functional studies
- Imaging studies
- Surgical treatment
- Radiation therapy
- Paranasal sinus surgery, including microscopic, endoscopic and laser techniques, computer-assisted surgery
- Plastic and aesthetic surgery
- Nose reshaping
- Ear reshaping
- Eyelid defect correction
- Facelift (classical and endoscopic)
- Wrinkle treatment (Botox, injection fillers)
- Computer-assisted surgery
- Tracheal surgery
- Treatment of tracheal stenosis in children and adults
- Treatment of benign and malignant tracheal tumors
- Voice restoration after laryngectomy
- Closure of tracheal defects (for example, after the surgical treatment or radiation)
- Cancer surgery
- Throat tumors
- Laryngeal tumors
- Salivary gland tumors
- Nose and paranasal sinus tumors
- Scalp and facial tumors
- Tumors of the soft tissues of the neck
- Surgical treatment of otolaryngologic diseases in children
- Removal of adenoids, tonsils
- Correction of simple and complex malformations (for example, ear reshaping, surgery to treat choanal atresia)
- Thyroid surgery
- Other medical services
- 1975 - 1981 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Saarland University.
- 19.10.1981 Medical exam.
- 10.29.1981 Admission to medical practice.
- 09.09.1982 American state exam (ECFMG).
- 10.21.1982 Doctoral degree. PhD thesis defense with honors, Faculty of Medicine, Saarland University.
- 04.01.1982 - 03.01.1984 Captain of the Medical Service (two-year military service), Department of Internal Medicine, Bundeswehr Hospital, Zwischenahn.
- 04.01.1984 - 30.06.1985 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Erlangen.
- 01.07.1985 Work in the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen.
- 12.07.1989 Specialization in Otolaryngology, Bavarian Medical Association.
- 15.02.1990 Habilitation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 01.03.1990 Senior Physician, Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen.
- 13.01.1993 Additional specialization in Plastic Surgery, Bavarian Medical Association.
- 18.07.1994 Optional advanced training in Special Otolaryngologic Surgery.
- 18.01.1995 Early Extraordinary Professorship.
- 1995 1st on the list for the position of C4 Professor in Otolaryngology, Saarland University.
- 05.04.1995 Invitation to the position of C4 Professor in Otolaryngology, Saarland University.
- 01.11.1995 Appointed as a C4 Professor in Otolaryngology, Saarland University, as well as the Head of the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Saarland.
- 15.01.1996 Appointed as a Seminar Leader of the German Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (diagnostics of head and neck pathologies).
- 28.01.1997 Additional qualification in Environmental Medicine, Medical Association of Saarland.
- 04.03.1997 Additional qualification in Allergology, Medical Association of Saarland.
- May 1999 Invitation to the position of C4 Professor in Otolaryngology, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- Since 01.02.2000 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- Since 2004 Deputy Medical Director of the University Hospital Erlangen.
- Since 2004 Chairman of the Working Group on Oncology of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Since 2006 Commissioner for the Development of Guidelines of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Since 2006 Presidium Member of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Since 2007 Chairman of the AHMO German Cancer Society.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
University Hospital Erlangen:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home