University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Gastroenterology, Pulmonology and Endocrinology (251289)
Markus F. Neurath
Specialized in: gastroenterology, pulmonology, endocrinology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Pulmonology and Endocrinology at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for the patients with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, lungs and endocrine glands. The patients are treated both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The department also operates a modern Intensive Care Unit and an Emergency Service. The modern equipment for endoscopy, ultrasound, the in-house Laboratory for Endocrinologic Diagnostics and other facilities of the department guarantee the accurate diagnostics, which is the key to successful treatment. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Markus F. Neurath.
The primary focus of the department is gastroenterology. The doctors have in their arsenal many endoscopic procedures that are carried out for both diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. The outstanding quality of services in this area is certified in accordance with the criteria of the German Cancer Society and in accordance with DIN ISO 9001: 2008. Of particular interest in the field of endoscopy are the early diagnostics of cancer and the identification of inflammatory changes in the mucous membrane with the help of high-resolution endoscopy and various marking (staining) methods. The precancerous conditions identified in the early stages are treated using endoscopic minimally invasive techniques. The department offers all modern procedures, including endoscopic submucosal dissection. Also, the doctors of the department specialize in capsular endoscopy, for example, to identify the causes of small intestinal bleeding. The gastroenterological spectrum is complemented by the treatment of liver diseases (for example, hepatitis B and C, autoimmune liver diseases, cirrhosis, alcoholic diseases) and biliary duct pathologies.
In addition, the department doctors have exceptional competence in the treatment of lung diseases, in particular asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases. The department also provides drug treatment of lung cancer. In the process of treatment, the doctors use only reliable, effective methods that yield excellent results.
In the field of endocrinology, the patients are provided with all diagnostic and therapeutic options for the treatment of hormonal and metabolic disorders. Special attention is paid to the treatment of neuroendocrine tumors and diabetes mellitus.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of gastrointestinal diseases
- All modern endoscopic procedures (for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes)
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the liver and biliary tract, including liver cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract (the main focus on the treatment of bronchial asthma and obstructive respiratory diseases)
- Diagnostics and treatment of hormonal and metabolic disorders, including diabetes mellitus and neuroendocrine tumors
- Intensive care
- Severe infections, sepsis with and without multiple organ failure
- Severe respiratory failure
- Exacerbations of COPD and bronchial asthma
- Liver failure
- Gastrointestinal bleedings
- Severe metabolic and endocrine disorders
- Severe bleeding disorders
- Invasive hemodynamic monitoring of a large and small circulation (pulmonary catheter), including continuous monitoring of cardiac output ("PiCCO")
- Differentiated invasive and non-invasive mechanical ventilation
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and auxiliary procedures to maintain lung functionality (ECMO, ECCO2-R)
- Emergency bronchoscopy in a hospital bed (24-hour service)
- Emergency endoscopy in a hospital bed (in collaboration with the Department of Endoscopy)
- Emergency ultrasound diagnostics in a hospital bed
- Continuous renal replacement therapy (hemodialysis, hemofiltration, etc.)
- Renal replacement therapy in a hospital bed (SLED/Genius®, HD)
- Liver replacement therapy in a hospital bed (MARS®)
- Nutrition counseling
- Emergency medical care
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Experience
- 10.1984 - 10.1990 Study of Human Medicine in the Phillips University of Marburg.
- 11.1990 - 04.1992 Intern, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Mainz.
- 1990 PhD thesis defense with honors and doctorate, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz. Subject: "Changes in the meniscus and cruciate ligament in rheumatoid arthritis. Light-optical, electron-microscopic and histochemical study of the knee cartilage and ligaments".
- Since 1992 Research Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Mainz.
- 1992 - 1995 German Research Foundation Scholarship (under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Warren Strober), Section for Mucosal Immunology Research, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, USA.
- 1995 - 1997 Research Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Mainz.
- 1997 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 04.1998 Habilitation and the beginning of teaching activities (lectures), Senior Physician (Department of Ultrasound Diagnostics, Internal Medicine Station, Emergency Unit and Intensive Care Unit), as well as a Leading Consultant Doctor for Crohn's disease and colitis in the Department of Internal Medicine I.
- 1998 Exam for specialization in Gastroenterology.
- 1999 Seven months as a Visiting Professor at the Brigham Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA (funded by the Fulbright Society, Scholarship for Gifted Scientists).
- 05.2001 Acceptance of the proposal to fill the position of C3 Professor in Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Mainz, Senior Physician (Emergency Unit, Transplant Section), as well as a Leading Consultant Doctor for Crohn's disease and colitis in Department of Internal Medicine I.
- 10.2003 Study of Health Economics (contractual).
- 04.2004 Creation of a new program funded by the German Research Foundation – "Antigen-specific immunotherapy", Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
Prizes and Awards
- 2000 Theodor Frerich Prize.
- 2000 Tannhauser Prize of the German Society of Gastroenterology.
- 2005 Norbert Henning Prize at the University of Erlangen.
- 2006 Ernst Young Award.
- 2008 Research Prize of the United European Gastroenterological Federation.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Erlangen
Department of Gastroenterology, Pulmonology and Endocrinology.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.