University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Hematology and Oncology (251293)
Specialized in: hematology, oncology
About the department
The Department of Hematology and Oncology at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the hematopoietic system, such as acute or chronic leukemia, malignant lymphomas, as well as solid malignant tumors, which require chemotherapy or other systemic therapies. The department offers all systemic treatments, including autologous and allogeneic stem cell transplantation, antibody therapy. The main goal of each medical team employee is to provide patients with a competent medical care. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Mackensen.
In addition to the inpatient beds, the department has a general outpatient clinic, a specialized outpatient clinic for patients after allogeneic transplantation, an outpatient clinic for chemotherapy and infusion therapy, and diagnostic laboratories. Each clinical case is discussed together with surgeons, radiation therapy specialists and other experts from related fields.
Moreover, the department conducts active research activities, within the framework of which many clinical trials are carried out. In some cases, such trials are the best option for the patient and can save his life. Thus, the department is proud not only of its successful clinical activities, but also of a significant contribution to the development of new treatment methods.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Neoplasms of the hematopoietic and lymphatic systems
- Acute leukemia
- Chronic leukemia and myeloproliferative diseases
- Malignant lymphomas
- Multiple myeloma
- Rare systemic diseases
- Other malignant diseases (requiring systemic therapy)
- Bone and soft tissue sarcomas
- Malignant neoplasms of unknown primary
- Gastrointestinal tumors
- Testicular tumors
- Head and neck tumors
- Lung cancer
- Genitourinary tumors
- Breast cancer and other gynecological tumors
- Non-malignant blood diseases
- Anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia
- Polycythemia, leukocytosis, thrombocytosis
- Other pathologies
- Other pathologies
The service range of the department includes:
- Cancer diagnostics and staging
- Cytological diagnostics and immunophenotyping
- HLA typing
- Intensive inpatient chemotherapy
- Bone marrow and blood stem cell (autologous (patient cells) and allogeneic (related or donor cells)) transplantation
- Outpatient tumor treatment
- Antibody therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Individual symptomatic therapy during chemotherapy
- Blood transfusion and infusion therapy
- Outpatient counseling and follow-up after treatment
- Diagnostics of pathological changes in blood cells and non-malignant diseases
- Second opinion
- Other medical services
- Since 2007 Head of the Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Erlangen.
- 1988 - 1991 University Hospital Freiburg, Department Hematology and Oncology.
- 1993 - 1998 Research Fellow.
- 1991 - 1993 Department of Tumor Immunology, Institute Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France, Scholarship of the German Research Foundation.
- 1998 - 1999 University Hospital Freiburg, Department Hematology and Oncology, Assistant Medical Director.
- 1999 - 2007 University Hospital Regensburg, Department Hematology and Oncology, Senior Scientist.
- 1979 - 1981 University Hospital Freiburg, training to become a Medical-Technical Laboratory Assistant.
- 1981 - 1988 Study of Human Medicine (state examination), Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 1990 Young Investigator Award from the International Association for Endotoxin Research, San Diego.
- 1994 Vincenz Czerny Prize from the German Society of Hematology and Oncology, Vienna.
- European patent, patent number 95916557.2-2105.
Department of Hematology and Oncology.
University Hospital Erlangen:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home