University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Plastic Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Hand Surgery (251301)
Raymund E. Horch
Specialized in: plastic surgery, adult and pediatric hand surgery
About the department
The Department of Plastic Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Hand Surgery offers the full range of modern plastic surgery, which includes the aesthetic surgery, reconstructive surgery, burn surgery, craniofacial surgery and hand surgery. In addition, the spectrum is complemented by replantation surgery (around the clock). The head of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Raymund E. Horch.
The innovative microsurgical techniques, laser surgery and endoscopy are used in all fields. Medical services meet the international standards and adapt to the specific clinical case of each patient. The department annually provides its services to more than 1,000 inpatients and about 5,000 outpatients, as well as performs more than 2,500 operations.
The department specializes in external correction of the shape and functions of the body surface, as well as in the elimination of functional defects of the internals. For this purpose, the team of the department’s physicians has many classical and progressive methods, for example, microsurgery and endoscopic methods, which have been significantly improved in recent times. With this methods, the department can perform the most sparing and precise plastic surgical procedures. Such methods allow to stretch, move or transplant tissues (including skin, muscles, tendons and vessels) using microsurgical techniques. The modern surgery enables plastic restoration of lost tissues and reconstruction of the nerve and tissue structures. These methods allow the patients with cancer or injuries due to accidents to return to their normal life.
In the field of aesthetic surgery, the doctors offer all modern interventions. Each operation is preceded by a comprehensive individual consultation, during which the doctor asks the patient about his wishes and expectations, whereas the patient receives detailed information about a particular surgical technique. Thus, the patient receives an individual treatment plan, one of the priorities of which is the safety of the intervention.
The service range of the department includes:
- Reconstructive microsurgery
- Reconstructive interventions for the restoration of defects after injuries
- Reconstructive interventions for the restoration of defects after the treatment of cancer pathologies
- Restoration of bone and soft tissue defects
- Treatment of chronic osteomyelitis
- Scar revision
- Correction of burn consequences
- Aesthetic plastic surgery
- Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping)
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid correction)
- Breast augmentation, reduction, lift
- Body lift
- Surgical treatment of burns of varying severity
- Breast plastic surgery (after the surgical treatment of breast cancer)
- Immediate reconstruction using the patient’s own tissues (DIEP, TRAM, S-GAP, Lastissim flaps)
- Secondary breast reconstruction
- Hand surgery in adults and children (in collaboration with the Departments of Rheumatology, Pediatric Surgery)
- Treatment of nerve compression syndromes
- Wrist surgery
- Treatment of hand fractures
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Elective hand surgery (treatment of various types of arthrosis, Dupuytren's contracture)
- Hand replantation (round-the-clock care)
- Treatment of congenital hand deformities in children (for example, syndactyly)
- Body contouring procedures (treatment of morbid obesity)
- Dermolipectomy and tightening procedures
- Breast lift with a change in its shape using the patient’s own tissues
- Upper arm lift
- Inner thigh lift
- Circular body lift
- Liposuction and fat grafting
- Water-assisted liposuction
- Aspiration lipectomy
- Ultrasound-guided lipectomy
- Vibration lipectomy
- Lipofilling according to the modified Coleman technique
- Dermolipectomy and tightening procedures
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the lymphatic system (conservative and surgical methods)
- Primary lymphedema
- Secondary lymphedema
- Combined lymphedema, lipo-lymphedema
- Subcutaneous adipose tissue disorders
- Laser therapy
- Small facial wrinkles (so-called "skin polishing")
- Acne scarring
- Uneven distribution of pigment
- Pigment spots
- Removal of benign skin lesions
- Treatment of hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Other medical services
Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Raymund E. Horch is the Head of the Department of Plastic Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Hand Surgery and Director of the Laboratory for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine at the Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany. Besides his clinical research projects Prof. Horch was among the pioneers of the emerging field of tissue engineering since the very beginning. He has contributed to the further development of cultured keratinocyte transplantation by investigating single cell suspensions in fibrin sealant and has combined the three dimensional vascularisation of tissue engineered matrices by means of arteriovenous microsurgical loops with material research to various types of tissues. This approach can further open a new field of research utilizing tissue engineering techniques for angiogenesis and cancer research. He has authored or coauthored more than 300 peer reviewed papers and book chapters on various topics in reconstructive surgery (mainly microsurgical techniques), including transplantation breast reconstruction, aesthetic surgery, grafting techniques and tissue engineering approaches, as well as novel treatment modalities for severe wounds and burns. He has edited several books and was frequently awarded for clinical and experimental scientific achievements.
His clinical focus is on reconstructive, aesthetic and hand surgery. He has developed interdisciplinary modern concepts in the complex restoration of tumor treatment through tissue transplants.
From 2015 to 2017, Prof. Horch was the President of the German Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (DGPRÄC).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Erlangen
Department of Plastic Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Hand Surgery.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.