University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Vascular Surgery (251305)
Specialized in: vascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of the vascular system. Special attention is paid to bypass procedures, which often help to avoid serious circulatory disorders requiring amputation of the lower limbs. The specialists in the field of operative vascular surgery, interventional treatment and conservative therapy work side by side in order to ensure an optimal result. The department successfully applies the most sparing treatment methods. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Werner Lang.
The department specializes in the surgical treatment of carotid stenosis, open or endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysm and the treatment of peripheral arterial occlusive disease. In addition, it treats patients with venous diseases. Also, the priority focuses include rare diseases, for example, vascular malformations.
The department’s clinical focuses include the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Aortic aneurysm
- Computed tomography-guided and 3D planning computer system-guided stent implantation using a catheter
- Classic surgical intervention (in rare cases)
- Arteriosclerosis (individual treatment regimens in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Balloon dilatation under local anesthesia
- Stent implantation
- Bypass grafting
- Carotid stenosis
- Diagnostics (ultrasound examination, magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography without contrast agent)
- Special surgical interventions for the treatment of carotid stenosis, which help to prevent the development of stroke
- Venous diseases (for example, varicose veins, thrombosis)
- Endoscopic procedures
- Rare vascular diseases
- Other diseases of the vascular system and treatment methods
- Since October 1995 Head of the Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen, Germany.
- January 1993 - September 1995 Chief Resident, Department of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen, Germany.
- March 1986 - January 1993 Resident, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen, Germany.
- March 1985 - March 1986 Internship, Institute of Anatomy, Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.
- January 1984 - February 1985 Captain in the Medical Corps, Bundeswehr, Germany.
Education and Training
- 1977 - 1983 Medical Student, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.
- 1984 - 1984 Doctor’s Degree, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.
- 1996 Postdoctoral lecturing qualification, Assistant Professor, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.
- 2003 Professor of Surgery, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.
- 1993 General Surgeon, Bavarian Medical Association, Germany.
- 1994 Vascular Surgeon, Bavarian Medical Association, Germany.
- 1994 Phlebologist, Bavarian Medical Association, Germany.
- 2005 Fellow of the European Board of Vascular Surgery (FEBVS), Union of European Medical Specialists, Brussels, Belgium.
- Vascular medicine.
- Carotid artery stenosis.
- Peripheral arterial occlusive disease.
- Wound management.
- Honorary Member, Hungarian Society for Vascular Surgery.
- Board of Examiners, Bavarian Medical Association.
- Editorial Board "Phlebologie".
- Editorial Board "Laser Therapy".
- Member of the European Society of Vascular Surgery (ESVS).
- Member of the Society of Vascular Surgery (SVS).
- Member of the Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society.
- Member of the Austrian Society for Vascular Surgery.
- Member of the German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
Department of Vascular Surgery.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.