University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology (289960)
Specialized in: nephrology, hypertension
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology at the University Hospital Erlangen ranks among the top specialized Nephrology Centers in Germany!
The department offers the diagnostics and treatment of all congenital and acquired kidney diseases, hypertension and their complications with the very latest diagnostic and therapeutic methods. A special focus is made on kidney failure, for the treatment of which the department offers all types of renal replacement therapy, including kidney transplantation. The department is one of the largest University Nephrology Centers in Germany. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Mario Schiffer.
The department’s specialists offer optimal treatment for all congenital and acquired kidney diseases. With the help of special blood and urine tests, ultrasound and X-ray studies, diagnostic imaging of blood vessels and kidney biopsy, the department provides the accurate diagnostics of nephrological disease and determines its stage. The treatment involves the use of modern protocols, which allow to achieve a complete cure or at least remission of the disease. The department has unique experience in the treatment of patients with concomitant diseases, such as vascular stenosis. In such cases, there is interdisciplinary cooperation with doctors from related specialties.
The department enjoys an impeccable reputation in the treatment of all forms of acute and chronic kidney failure. In addition to all types of renal replacement therapy, the department also offers other extracorporeal treatment methods, such as extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), use of artificial heart ventricles (LVAD, RVAD), Prometheus® therapy, etc. Special attention is paid to transplant medicine. In cooperation with the Departments of Urology, Vascular Surgery and General Surgery, the department provides a preoperative preparation and kidney transplantation, as well as kidney-pancreas transplant.
In addition, the department’s doctors are experts in the treatment of hypertension. Both senior physicians of the department are engaged in active research in this field. According to the Focus magazine, they rank among the top German specialists in hypertension treatment.
The department’s service range includes the following options:
- Diagnostics of congenital and acquired kidney diseases
- Special blood and urine tests
- Ultrasound examinations
- X-ray examinations
- Diagnostic vascular imaging
- Kidney biopsy
- Treatment of congenital and acquired kidney diseases
- Acute kidney failure
- Congenital kidney diseases
- Chronic kidney diseases
- Electrolyte disorders
- Cystic kidney diseases, polycystic kidney disease in the family history
- Interstitial nephropathy
- Kidney lesions in systemic diseases
- Renal replacement therapy
- Special methods, for example, hemodiafiltration, dialysis using the Genius system, hemofiltration, dialysis using High-cut-off technology, etc.
- Transplant medicine
- Kidney transplantation, kidney-pancreas transplant
- Outpatient counselling
- Intensive care unit
- Diagnostics and treatment of other kidney diseases
Education and Professional Experience
- 1992 - 1999 Study of Human Medicine at the Free University of Berlin and King’s College, London.
- 1999 - 2000 Beginning of the internship in Internal Medicine, special focus on Nephrology and Hypertensiology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. med. med. R.B. Sterzel).
- 2000 - 2004 Research Fellow, Department of Nephrology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, (Head: Prof. Dr. med. E. Böttinger) New York.
- 2004 - 2008 Assistant Physician, Hannover Medical School, Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology (Head: Prof. Dr. med. H. Haller).
- 2008 Board certification in Internal Medicine, habilitation in Internal Medicine, Senior Physician.
- Since 2011 W3 Professor with a focus on Nephrology and Transplantation Nephrology and Deputy Head of the department.
- Since 01.09.2018 Head of the Department of Nephrology and Hypertension at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 1994 - 1996 Doctoral thesis at the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Free University of Berlin (Director: Prof. Dr. med. W. Reutter).
- 1996 Molecular Biology Training at the Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Rheumatology and Immunology, St. Louis, USA, (Supervisor: Dr. med. PhD Catherine S. Tripp).
- 1998 Exchange Student (one academic year) in the Biomedical Sciences Exchange Program (BMEP), Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, New York, USA.
- 2000 - 2004 Research Fellow, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx and Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, New York, USA (Supervisor: Dr. med. Erwin P. Böttinger), funding by the German Research Foundation (DFG), Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and National Kidney Foundation.
- Since 10.2004 Emmy Noether Young Research Group Leader of the German Research Foundation (DFG), Hannover Medical School.
- Since 01.2008 Leader of the Project SFB 566 Cytokines and Cytokine Signaling, Hannover Medical School.
- Since 07.2008 Project Leader in IFB-Tx: "Renal Comorbidity After Solid Organ Transplantation-RECAST".
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society of Nephrology.
- German Transplantation Society (DTG).
- European Renal Association-European Dialysis Transplant Association (ERA-EDTA).
- American Society of Nephrology (ASN).
- American Society of Transplantation (AST).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Erlangen
Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.