University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Pediatric Cardiology (289962)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of accurate diagnostics and effective treatment of all congenital and acquired heart defects in children. The department's specialists annually perform more than 300 heart operations and more than 300 heart catheterization procedures. Of particular importance is caring attitude towards young patients. The department has created all conditions for parents to be able to stay close to their children during treatment. The competence of pediatric cardiologists also includes the monitoring of adult patients with congenital heart diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Sven Dittrich.
The department’s state-of-art medical equipment allows doctors to carry out the most accurate diagnostics and make a correct diagnosis based on its results. The basic studies cover various modifications of electrocardiography and echocardiography. Also, the spectrum is complemented by more specialized studies, such as stress tests, long-term ECG, special forms of ultrasound, cardiac magnetic resonance or computed tomography, as well as interventional diagnostic procedures within the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory.
The department operates a modern Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, which provides care for children in life-threatening conditions. In 2017, there was upgraded the centralized monitoring system, which allows doctors to provide the best and safest treatment. Currently, the Intensive Care Unit has18 beds equipped with ultramodern monitors.
The progressive Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory provides all sparing heart interventional procedures for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. The most common procedures are balloon dilatation, radiofrequency ablation, implantation of metal spirals, special occluder probes, stents, etc.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following congenital heart diseases in children:
- Ventricular septal defect
- Atrial septal defect
- Atrioventricular defects
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Persistent ductus arteriosus
- Double aortic arch
- Persistent truncus arteriosus
- Transposition of the great vessels
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Pulmonary atresia with ventricular septal defect
- Pulmonary atresia with intact interventricular septum
- Double outlet right ventricle
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome
- Other cardiac pathologies in children
- March 1982 - September 1984 Study of Sociology in Kiel.
- Since October 1984 Study of Medicine in Kiel.
- November 1991 3rd State Medical Exam at the Christian Albrecht University of Kiel.
Professional Medical Training
- Since July 2007 Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- January 2006 - June 2007 Acting Head of the Department for Congenital Heart Diseases/Pediatric Cardiology, Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- November 2000 - December 2005 Leading Senior Physician, Department for Congenital Heart Diseases/Pediatric Cardiology, Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- June 1995 - October 2000 Department for Congenital Heart Disease/Pediatric Cardiology at the German Heart Center in Berlin.
- December 1991 - May 1995 Intern and Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Kaiserslautern.
Additional Qualifications and Certificates
- January 1998 Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- October 1998 Pediatric Cardiology.
- October 2000 Special Pediatric Intensive Care.
- April 2008 Treatment of Adults with Congenital Heart Defects.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Since October 1999 German Society of Pediatric Cardiology.
- Since May 2003 Association for European Pediatric Cardiology (AEPC).
- Since November 2008 Scientific Advisory Board of the German Heart Foundation.
- Since November 2008 Project Group "National Quality Assurance" of the German Society of Pediatric Cardiology (DGPK).
- Since January 2010 Governing Council for Clinical and Registration Research in the Network of Competence for Congenital Heart Diseases.
Membership in Funds
- October 2003 Founding Member of the Kinderherzen retten e.V.
- December 1991 PhD thesis defense, Christian Albrecht University of Kiel. Subject: "Ontogenesis of the calcium-binding protein parvalbumin in the nervous system of rats".
- July 2001 Habilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin. Subject: "Studies of kidney function in the treatment of congenital heart defects".
- October 2001 Venia legendi in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- January 2002 Venia legendi in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- November 2005 Extraordinary Professor for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- July 2007 Professor for Pediatric Cardiology, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- Journal American College of Cardiology.
- Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- European Journal of CardioThoracic Surgery.
- Intensive Care Medicine.
- Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy.
- Annals of Hematology.
- Pediatric Nephrology.
- Archives of Medical Research.
- Canadian Institute of Health Research.
- Eastern Journal of Medicine.
- European Journal of Pediatrics.
- Klinische Pädiatrie.
Department of Pediatric Cardiology.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.