University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery (289963)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiac surgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of diagnostics and surgical treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects in children at the highest level of university medicine. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Robert Cesnjevar.
All surgeons of the department have excellent qualifications necessary to achieve the successful treatment results in the long term. Important attention is paid to optimal preoperative preparation and postoperative care, communication with young patients, which aims to establish trust and overcome the child’s fear. The department holds a leading position not only in Germany, but also in the European medical arena.
The treatment is provided in close cooperation with experts in the field of pediatric cardiology, neonatology, and anesthesiology. Also, a specially prepared nursing team takes care of the children. The department’s specialization covers not only the classical open surgery, but also the use of minimally invasive surgical techniques (if indicated).
The service range of the department includes:
- Correction of atrial septal defects
- Correction of interventricular septal defects
- Diagnostics and treatment of Tetralogy of Fallot
- Correction of double outlet right ventricle
- Correction of partial or total anomalous pulmonary venous connection
- Correction of the atrioventricular canal defect
- Tricuspid valve reconstruction in case of Ebstein’s anomaly
- Anatomical correction of transposition of great vessels, including in case of pulmonary artery stenosis (REV procedure)
- Correction of univentricular defects (Fontan procedure)
- Complex corrections and treatment of hypoplastic left heart syndrome (Norwood procedure)
- Ross or Ross-Konno procedure
- Unifocalization in Tetralogy of Fallot with pulmonary atresia
- Other cardiac services
- Since 2008 Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 2005 - 2008 Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the University Heart Center Hamburg.
- 1999 - 2005 Senior Physician, University Hospital Erlangen.
- 1992 - 1999 Assistant Physician of the Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen.
- 1999 - 2000 Senior Registrar, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, UK.
- 1985 - 1992 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. Thesis defense on the subject: "Pancreas transplantation in rats contributing to the development of surgical methods for orthotopic and ectopic organ transplantation, as well as an assessment of glucose metabolism and electrolytes, organ weights in long-term studies".
Licenses and Certificates
- 10.2005 Certificate of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (DGTHG).
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.