University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Pediatric Surgery (289964)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of classic and innovative surgical interventions to treat various surgical diseases in children of all age groups. The department is proud of its 200-year traditions and tremendous experience in the surgical treatment of children. In addition to state-of-the-art operating rooms, the department has a special infrastructure for the leisure of young patients, so that they feel as comfortable as possible and can easily tolerate the period of hospitalization. In especially complex clinical cases, there may be involved pediatric doctors from the necessary directions. The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Manuel Besendörfer.
The principles of surgical treatment of children and adolescents differ not only because of their age, but also because of the methods used. The treatment of diseases diagnosed during prenatal development, features of the pathology course in premature and underweight babies, infants and young children, children of school age and adolescents during puberty – all this requires special knowledge and special medical qualifications. The team of the department's doctors has all the necessary skills, expertise and rich experience, which in combination with the use of the very latest surgical techniques, guarantees an excellent treatment outcome.
Thanks to the department’s long active research activities, it has developed not only sparing surgical techniques, but also improved modern technologies of interventions on various tissues. The advanced medical instruments, such as the "harmonic scalpel" and laser systems minimize the trauma of the child’s body and make the operation as safe as possible. Since 1992, the department has been widely using minimally invasive surgery.
It is worth noting that the department provides interdisciplinary diagnostics, including prenatal examination. The specialists in the field of obstetrics, neonatology and anesthesiology jointly conduct examinations. Should there be detected any pathology, they will carefully develop a treatment strategy. The diagnostic capabilities of the department include ultramodern ultrasound examinations, including Doppler scanning, CT, MRI, X-ray, ECG, EEG, nuclear diagnostic methods, and invasive diagnostic procedures, such as endoscopy and minimally invasive surgical diagnostics (laparoscopy, thoracoscopy).
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Surgical treatment within the outpatient and day clinics
- Inguinal hernia repair
- Biopsy of small, superficial tumors and lymph nodes
- Catheter removal
- Hemangioma treatment
- Preparation for outpatient interventions
- Follow-up examinations after treatment
- Cryotherapy/cryosurgery for hemangiomas
- Minimally invasive pediatric surgery
- Corrective surgery for chest wall deformities (funnel chest, keeled chest)
- Neonatal surgery for congenital malformations of the anterior abdominal wall and chest
- Intestinal surgery for congenital innervation disorders (Hirschsprung’s disease)
- Functional diagnostics of the anorectal region (sphincter and rectal diseases)
- Diagnostics, therapy and supportive measures for children suffering from cancer
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Academic and Professional Career
- Since 04.2017 Head of the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- Since 04.2017 Permission to conduct advanced training courses in Pediatric Surgery.
- Since 05.2016 Board certification in Pediatric Surgery.
- Since 03.2014 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen.
- Since 08.2011 Deputy Head of the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 04.2011 - 02.2014 Senior Physician in the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 07.2010 - 04.2011 Acting Head of the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 01.2010 - 06.2010 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 05.2009 - 12.2009 Board certification in Surgery, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen.
- 01.2004 - 05.2009 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen.
- May 2009 Board certification in Surgery.
- November 2004 PhD thesis with honors. Subject: "The use of endoprostheses with titanium coating on the transcortical model of the rabbit".
- 1999 - 2004 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 1997 - 1999 Preclinical training at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Neonatal surgery.
- General pediatric surgery.
- Oncological pediatric surgery.
- Colorectal pediatric surgery.
- Pediatric proctology.
- Colorectal pediatric surgery.
- Superficial enteral stimulation.
- Plexus nerve stimulation in children and adolescents.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Pediatric Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Erlangen
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.