University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (289965)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment for children (including premature and newborn babies) and adolescents of all age groups. The department provides care in various medical fields. It consists of the specialized outpatient clinics, which allow doctors to offer all patients the optimal treatment depending on their disease and age. The key to high efficiency is the excellent qualifications of the department’s experienced doctors. A number of diseases are treated within the framework of the special interdisciplinary centers distinguished by advanced experience. These include, for example, the Perinatal Center, the Epilepsy Center, the Cancer Center, etc. The department offers the very latest diagnostic and therapeutic methods. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Wolfgang Rascher.
For decades, the department has been a recognized center for diagnosing and treating malignant blood and soft tissue tumors. If indicated, the specialized Wilhelm Sander Center performs bone marrow or stem cell transplantation. If possible, the patients undergo outpatient diagnostics and treatment.
The department also enjoys an impeccable reputation in the field of pediatric neurology. It offers all modern diagnostic and treatment methods for diseases of the brain, nerves and muscles, as well as for a convulsive syndrome. Special focus is made on the diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy. Jointly with the Department of Neurosurgery, the patients are offered surgical treatment of this pathology. In addition, children with impaired physical, motor and mental development can be diagnosed and get comprehensive advice on the appropriate treatment methods.
Another priority is pediatric nephrology. The department offers the very latest medical advances in the diagnostics and treatment of all congenital and acquired kidney and urinary tract diseases. If the patient needs the surgical correction of urinary tract diseases and kidney transplantation, the department works closely with the Department of Urology at the University Hospital.
In addition, the department offers the full spectrum of diagnostic and treatment services in perinatal medicine, pediatric endocrinology, diabetology, gastroenterology, pulmonology, etc. The service range is complemented with all rheumatic diseases, as well as with congenital and acquired disorders of the immune system.
The diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department includes the following options:
- Diagnostics and treatment of premature babies
- Dyspnea, asthma and other diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract (pulmonology)
- Inflammatory bone and joint diseases (rheumatology)
- Diseases of the genitourinary system, bed-wetting, etc. (urology)
- Diabetes mellitus (diabetology)
- Dysfunctions of the endocrine glands, growth and puberty disorders (endocrinology)
- Impaired development and cognitive functions (developmental neurology)
- Neuromuscular diseases, severe epilepsy, hydrocephalus, spina bifida
- Epilepsy (Epilepsy Center)
- Stomach, intestinal, liver and pancreatic diseases (gastroenterology)
- All benign and malignant oncological diseases, rare and hereditary oncological diseases (oncology)
- Blood diseases, blood clotting disorders (hematology)
- Immune system disorders
- Heart diseases (pediatric cardiology)
- Pediatric cardiac surgery
- Congenital skin diseases (dermatology)
- Ectodermal dysplasia
- Cystic fibrosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare diseases
- Kidney transplantation
- Pediatric intensive care
- Social Pediatric Center
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases
Education and Professional Experience
- 1970 - 1976 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Cologne and Heidelberg.
- 1976 Doctoral thesis defense at the Clinical Institute for Heart Attack Research, University Hospital Heidelberg (Prof. H. Greten).
- 1977 - 1981 Research Fellow at the Pharmacological Institute of the University of Heidelberg (Prof. F. Gross).
- 1982 - 1987 Research Fellow at the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Heidelberg (Prof. H. Bickel).
- 1982 Habilitation in Experimental Pharmacology.
- 1987 Board certification in Pediatrics, venia legendi in Pediatrics, Clinical Pharmacology.
- 1987 - 1993 (C2) Professor for Pediatrics and Leading Senior Physician, Department of Pediatrics, University of Essen (Prof. H. Olbing).
- 1993 - 1998 (C4) Professor for Pediatrics, Head of the Department of General Pediatrics and Neonatology of the Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- Since 1998 (C4) Professor for Pediatrics, Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 2004 Honorary Doctor of the University of Pécs, Hungary.
- 1987 Adalbert Czerny Prize of the German Society for Pediatrics and Youth.
- 1995 Franz Gross Science Award of the German Hypertension Society.
Functions and Memberships
- Since 1993 Member of the Commission for Drug Safety of the German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
- Since 1994 Member of Commission A of the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM).
- 2002 - 2004 Deputy Chairman of the Expert Committee on Medicines in Childhood and Adolescence at BfArM.
- Since 2002 Chairman of the Clinical Ethics Committee at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- Since 2003 Member of the Ethics Committee of the Bavarian State Medical Association (Consultant in Pediatrics).
- 2003 - 2007 Member of the Pediatric Expert Group (PEG) of the European Medicines Agency (EMEA).
- Since 2006 Chairman of the Commission for Medicines for Children and Adolescents at the BfArM.
- Pediatric nephrology.
- Pediatric clinical pharmacology and pharmacovigilance.
- Blood pressure regulation.
- Salt and water balance.
- Vasoactive peptides.
- Fetal programming.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Erlangen
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.