University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Neuroradiology (459035)
Specialized in: neuroradiology
About the department
The Department of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of interventional diagnostics and therapy of diseases and pathological changes of the central nervous system, namely the brain and spinal cord, adjacent anatomical structures. To provide first-class medical care, the department has modern technical equipment of the latest generation, as well as conducts active research activities, the results of which allow improving methods of neuroradiologic diagnosis and therapy. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Arnd Dörfler.
The clinical priorities of the department are sparing (minimally invasive) treatment of stenosis of arteries supplying blood to the brain (angioplasty/percutaneous transluminal angioplasty, stenting) and vascular malformations in the brain and spinal cord (aneurysms, angiomas and fistulas) with special spirals, stents and other devices. In the field of diagnostics, the focus is on vascular imaging (MR angiography, CT angiography, catheter angiography) and functional imaging diagnostics (MRI, CT) in stroke and epilepsy.
To provide comprehensive and most effective medical care, the department closely cooperates with the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Radiation Therapy, Vascular Surgery and Anesthesiology. The department employs excellent specialists with rich clinical experience and deep expert knowledge.
The service range of the department includes:
- Conventional CT and MRI
- Functional MRI
- Diffusion tensor imaging
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- CT and MRI angiography for cerebral vessel imaging (also contrast-enhanced)
- Digital subtraction angiography
- Other examination methods
- Neuroradiologic interventional procedures
- Mechanical thrombectomy in stroke therapy
- Aneurysm treatment with Coiling
- Treatment of stenoses using minimally invasive catheter interventions
- Treatment of vascular malformations (arteriovenous malformations and arteriovenous fistulas)
- CT- and X-ray-guided pain therapy in spinal pain (for example, infiltration, facet joint block, periradicular therapy, vertebroplasty)
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- Since 2014, Professor of Neuroradiology (W3) at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- Since 2004 Professor of Neuroradiology (C3) at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg and Head of the Department of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 1997 - 2004 Senior physician (senior position), Department of Neuroradiology, Institute of Radiology, University Hospital Essen.
- Distance learning "Management in Healthcare and Social Services".
- 2002 Habilitation. Subject: "Radiological diagnostics and experimental stroke therapy".
- 1994 - 1997 Fellow in the Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Clinical year in the Department of Neurology.
- 1994 Doctoral thesis defense. Subject: "Magnetic resonance imaging in stroke".
- Study of Medicine at the Universities of Heidelberg and Zurich.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Erlangen
Department of Neuroradiology.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.