Diagnosis and conservative treatment of shingles (program ID: 255231)
University Hospital Erlangen
Gerold SchulerSpecialized in: dermatology
Department of Dermatology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- dermatological skin examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- herpes simplex virus (HSV)
- Immunoassay for antibody analysis (Ig G, Ig M) to herpes zoster
- differential diagnosis of other diseases of the skin
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the diagnostics and treatment of all skin diseases. The department specializes in the treatment of skin tumors and operative dermatology, the treatment of allergies, autoimmune diseases, hair and scalp diseases. Skin cancers are treated within the framework of the Skin Cancer Center certified by the German Cancer Society. Close interdisciplinary cooperation, state-of-the-art infrastructure of the university hospital provide the highest level of medical services and the best treatment results. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Gerold Schuler.
One of the department’s key activities is the treatment of inflammatory and oncological skin diseases. A feature of the department are unique treatment programs that are conducted only in a few clinics around the world. For example, the Chief Physician of the department, Prof. Dr. med. Gerold Schuler, together with the Nobel Prize winner Prof. Ralph Steinman, developed a special immunotherapy for malignant melanoma, which demonstrates outstanding results even in the advanced stages of the disease.
Another important focus is psoriasis treatment. Within the framework of the Psoriasis Center, the patients are offered advanced medical experience and the highest medical competence. The center has in its arsenal all the very latest treatments, including local therapy, erythema therapy and various types of systemic therapy. In special cases, the patients are given the opportunity to participate in the clinical trials, during which doctors use scientifically tested, but not yet introduced into clinical practice drugs.
In addition, the department enjoys an impeccable reputation in the treatment of allergies, autoimmune diseases, infectious skin lesions, urticaria, etc. Also, the department’s activities include the treatment of chronic wounds (within the specialized Center for Chronic Wounds).
The service range of the department includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- General dermatology
- Infectious skin diseases (diagnostics and treatment of bacterial, viral and fungal skin diseases, including HIV-related pathologies)
- Bullous dermatitis
- Papulosquamous dermatoses
- Urticaria and erythema
- Skin diseases caused by radiation exposure
- Diseases of the skin appendages
- Oncological dermatology, dermatosurgery, histological studies
- Skin cancer (diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant skin diseases)
- Allergic dermatology
- All types of allergies (diagnostics and treatment of allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma, eczema, etc.)
- Autoimmune and HIV-related diseases
- Hair and scalp diseases
- Treatment of patients with chronic wounds
- Diagnostics and treatment of other skin diseases
Academic and Professional Career
- 1969 - 1975 Study of Medicine at the University of Innsbruck, Austria.
- 1975 - 1977 Work at the Institute of Histology and Embryology, University of Innsbruck, Austria.
- 1977 - 1983 Medical Specialist training for skin and venereal diseases, University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria.
- 1983 - 1985 Research Fellow at the Rockefeller University, New York, USA.
- 1984 Habilitation.
- 1993 Associate Professor and Head of the Department of Experimental Dermatology of the University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria.
- Since 1995 Head of the Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Erlangen.
Project Coordination, Membership in Joint Projects
- 1997 - 2002 German Research Foundation Project "Immune Tolerance Induction by Dendritic Cells".
- 2004 - 2016 Spokesman of the German Research Foundation Collaborative Research Center 654 "Strategies of the cellular immunotherapy".
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- 1983 Fellow of the Max Kade Foundation.
- Since 1998 Corresponding Member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- 2006 German Cancer Award.
- Since 2010 Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Erlangen