University Hospital Mainz
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (519581)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Mainz offers the full range of services in this field. The department specializes in the surgical treatment of diseases of the brain, spine and peripheral nerves in adults and children. During the treatment, the department uses the very latest surgical techniques and technical equipment, for example, robotic spinal surgery. The department is one of the leading neurosurgical medical institutions in Germany and Europe. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Florian Ringel.
It should be noted that one of the most important focuses of the department is the treatment of cancer of the nervous system. In this field, the department is certified as the Neuro-Oncology Center by the German Cancer Society.
In addition, the department specializes in early rehabilitation (phase B), which plays a key role in the success of therapy. For this purpose, an interdisciplinary team of professionals, such as highly specialized doctors, therapists, nurses and social workers, work here.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Surgical treatment of benign meningiomas
- Surgical treatment of pituitary tumors (in most cases benign ones)
- Surgical treatment of benign peripheral nerve tumors
- Surgical treatment of gliomas and glioblastomas
- Surgical treatment of the spinal diseases – robotic surgery using the Renaissance™ Mini Roboter system (the system was used here in Europe for the first time)
- Functional interventions for the treatment of chronic pain and movement disorders
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Surgical treatment of craniosynostosis
- Surgical treatment of scaphocephaly/dolichocephaly
- Surgical treatment of trigonocephaly
- Surgical treatment of hydrocephalus
- Psycho-oncological care
- Speech therapy
- Self-help groups
- Intensive care
- Other medical services
- 1991 - 1998 Study of Human Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1999 - 2000 Intern at the Institute for Surgical Research at the University of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. K. Messmer).
- July 2000 Admission to medical practice.
- 2000 - 2001 Research Assistant at the Institute for Surgical Research at the University of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. K. Messmer).
- 2001 - 2006 Research Assistant, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Bonn (Head: Prof. Dr. med. J. Schramm).
- 2004 Doctoral thesis defense (Doctor of Medicine). Subject: "Acidosis-induced edema and intracellular acidosis of glial cells – the value of anions and calcium".
- 2006 Medical Specialist in Neurosurgery (Medical Association of North Rhine-Westphalia).
- Since 2006 Senior Physician in the Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. med. B. Meyer).
- 2009 Habilitation (Neurosurgery) and Venia Legendi.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.