University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
Department of Ophthalmology (26131)
Specialized in: ophthalmology
About the department
The Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Frankfurt offers patients the full range of services in the field of diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases. The Department is one of the most advanced and well-equipped Ophthalmology Centers in Germany. It offer ultramodern methods for the treatment of ophthalmic diseases.The department is headed by Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. T. Kohnen.
Over 30,000 patients are treated here every year on both an outpatient and inpatient basis. There is provided a wide spectrum of current diagnostic and therapeutic treatment methods for anterior and posterior eye segments, optic nerve, eyelids and lacrimal passages, eye orbit and strabismus. An active research work contributes to the development of innovative methods of medical care in the department. The goal of the specialists working in the department is to preserve or restore eyesight for both professional and private life up to the elderly age, since the quality of life is determined by the quality of eyesight.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Treatment of cataract by means of femtosecond laser LenSx or by means of new trifocal implants
- Treatment of presbyopia (old age sight) by means of lasers and/or implants
- Treatment of myopia (nearsightedness) or hyperopia (farsightedness) by means of modern lasers and implants
- Treatment of age-related macular dystrophy by means of the advanced medication and laser therapy
- Treatment of ceratoconus: UV-fusion and riboflavin
- Minimally invasive ophthalmic surgery
- Orthoptic office
- 1982 - 1989 Study of Human Medicine in the RWTH Aachen, Friedrich-Wilhelms University in Bonn, University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, USA.
- 2006 - 2007 Health Economics, European Business School, International University (Health Economist).
Doctoral Thesis Defence
- 1989 Thesis, Friedrich-Wilhelms University in Bonn. Subject: "Capsule rupture and zone separation as complications of surgical cataract treatment with phacoemulsification".
- 2000 Habilitation, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main. Subject: "Thermokeratoplasty with Ho:YAG laser for the treatment of hyperopia: histological, ultrastructural, immunohistochemical and clinical studies".
- 1986 - 1987 Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Milan (Italy), Bombay (India).
- 1989 Medical examination.
- 1989 - 1992 Research Fellow, Bonn Dardenne Clinic (Intern, Assistant Physician).
- 1991 Admission to medical practice.
- 1992 - 1993 Research Fellow, Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital Giessen (Assistant Physician).
- 1994 Appointed as a Doctor in Ophthalmology, Tübingen.
- 1994 - 1995 Senior Physician, Bundeswehr Hospital, Academic Hospital of Ulm University, basic military service (Medical Worker) and military training (Senior Physician).
- 1995 Traveler Scholarship, International Society of Refractive Surgery, Minneapolis, USA.
- 1995 - 1997 Research Internship, German Research Foundation, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas (USA). "Physiology and pathophysiology of refractive surgery of the cornea with laser thermokeratoplasty (LTK). Experimental and clinical research."
- 1996 Appointed as a Senior Physician.
- 1997 C1 Research Fellow and Senior Physician, Department of Ophthalmology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
- 2000 PD, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Since 2000, Visiting Professor in Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas (USA).
- 2001 University Docent (C2) and Senior Physician, Department of Ophthalmology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
- 2003 Invitation to the position of Professor (C3), Department of Ophthalmology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
- 2003 - 2012 Deputy Head of the Department and Leading Senior Physician, Department of Ophthalmology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
- 2007 Military training (Senior Regimental Physician), Bundeswehr Hospital, Ulm.
- 2008 Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology (FEBO).
- 2011 Invitation to the position of Professor (Val and Edith Green Presidential Professorship), University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA.
- 2011 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor, Ophthalmology, University Magdeburg.
- 2011 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
- 2012 Head of the Department of Ophthalmology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
Department of Ophthalmology.
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home